View Full Version : screw plugs.. screw eels... screw chunking..

Nebe
06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
i'm livelining shad from shore from now on. :hihi: :D

whos done it??-

tuesday night i want to try this. i plan on going down with 2 poles. One small LMB pole rigged up with 6#test and a sabiki rig with a shad dart on the end.. The other will be my Sb1213m with a abu7000 big game.

My question is whats the best hook to use once i find my shad??? i know some guys use trebbles, but i will be C&R that night.

reelecstasy
06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I like the short shank live bait Gami's 7/0. The hook has less of a chance to move around if ya know what I mean..

Nebe
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
ahh gotcha :D i have some of those for rigging sluggos. :smokin:

ThrowingTimber
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Eben, we found out (jim, joe and I) that the treble in the shads mouth helped out with less gut hooking. The shad there get to pretty decent size, setting up with a single hook, may lead to actually ripping it out of a cows mouf before she can clamp down on it, with the trebles we would hang most fish in the corner of their mouf, or upper pallete. We use a bucktail at the end instead of the shad dart, dunno if that would work out better for you. :kewl:

Nebe
06-20-2005, 11:21 AM
hmmm... lets go tuesday.. :devil:

shaaad........ sweeet sweeet shaaaad :D

MakoMike
06-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Eben,
If you insist on using a single hook go with a 7/0 or 8/0 circle and don't set the hook.

ThrowingTimber
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
:hihi: call me at the nerd abuse hotline...

Nebe
06-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Eben,
If you insist on using a single hook go with a 7/0 or 8/0 circle and don't set the hook.

no i dont insist, i simply thought trebbles were unsporting- i have oodles and oodles of trebbles laying around..

ThrowingTimber
06-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Dont foget your balloons :faga:

Pt.JudeJoe
06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Eben try a 12/0 mustad circle hook in the upper lip. They are not as big as you think (I have used them for years with great success). No gut hook and easy release. Just remember ..let him run with it....when the line goes taut ,turn the handle and raise the rod tip and the hook will set itself.

NIB
06-21-2005, 06:54 AM
I would say a 7/0 or 8/0 gami octopus.In livelinen pogies we use anywhere,s from a 8/0 -10/0.always hook from the right side of the bait to the left (passenger side to drivers side)so the hook doesn't rehook itself back in the bait.Any little metal will catch a shad.don't give in if they don't take immediately sometimes there's a switch to be flipped i seen it happen before.Hooking the bait near the dorsal fin will help him to swim against the tension of the line an away from shore towards the head more an u have more control over him to turn him if he starts coming in.a little flip of the rod will flip him over.Learn to keep tension on him to direct him where u want him to go.As if he see's a fish he won't wanna go there.I try not to pitch em to many timesThey don't really like that much but sometimes the big bomb is like the dinner bell.

Adam R
06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Eben, can I have your plugs since you won't be needing them any more?:D

I usually put on a dropper, fly or small redgill to get the shad. Worth a shot if you don't want to carry the light rod with you.