View Full Version : Wader Review

Skip N
06-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, my LL bean west branch waders finally started to leek way more than i could handle so it was time for a new pair. I dont care for the new look on the west branch waders this year so i decided to try out the LL Bean Emerger waders instead. These things are damn comfy!! A hell of a light lighter and less constricting in movement from my old west branch ones. Of course i've only used them a few times so im not sure how durable they are but they are great as far as comfort and ease of movement goes. Seems like a hell of a buy for $99 plus the usual bean lifetime warrenty.

Anyone else have any experience with the Emereger breathable stocking foots? Just curious about how durable they are. So far i like though! :cheers:

Rockport24
06-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Wait a minute, if you have a lifetime warrentee, why don't you just return your old ones for free new pair? A buddy of mine does that with hiking boots, just turns them in once they have a tear or hole in them and they give him a new pair every time.

eelman
06-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, add it up, there is your first $100 smackers gone......... Get the simms you will fall in love :wave:

Nebe
06-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Skip be carefull of them.. if you always fish up the bay on sand or soft structure they will be great. if your climbing around on weedy rocks in the surf, they will rip in no-time.

Skip N
06-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Wait a minute, if you have a lifetime warrentee, why don't you just return your old ones for free new pair? A buddy of mine does that with hiking boots, just turns them in once they have a tear or hole in them and they give him a new pair every time.

Becuase the pair i have is from last year and the new style west branch they make this year looks kinda stupid. I returned the West Branch waders for a $199 refund and then got the $99 Emergers. So got a new pair of waders and pocketed $100 from the return. You can't beat Bean for their service.

Skip N
06-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Skip be carefull of them.. if you always fish up the bay on sand or soft structure they will be great. if your climbing around on weedy rocks in the surf, they will rip in no-time.

Your right Eben, The material does not seem as durable as the west branch waders. I mosty fish in the bay and on sandy beaches and such so i think i'll be fairly safe with them. Im kinda a wus and havent gotten into the climbing around rocks just yet!

Skip N
06-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, add it up, there is your first $100 smackers gone......... Get the simms you will fall in love :wave:

Gone? Its a lifetime warrenty so i can exchange for a new pair or they can send me a refund check if i want. You can't lose with that service.

eelman
06-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Sure you lose bigtime :fishslap: ?? You send them back and now you have to wait for another pair and get stuck without waders for how ever many weeks it takes for a new pair to be sent out?? Not only that but you had to deal with the leak in the first place? good thiong it wasnt cold! nope I would rather be comfy and warm than deal with leaks and have to go thru the hassle of waiting for a refund check or another pair of waders....

Skip N
06-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Sure you lose bigtime :fishslap: ?? You send them back and now you have to wait for another pair and get stuck without waders for how ever many weeks it takes for a new pair to be sent out?? Not only that but you had to deal with the leak in the first place? good thiong it wasnt cold! nope I would rather be comfy and warm than deal with leaks and have to go thru the hassle of waiting for a refund check or another pair of waders....

Obviosly you have never dealt with LL bean. If i order a pair of waders they will be here is 3 days. Before i sent those back i ordered the new pair so i wouldnt have to wait for the exchange. So it worked out good. New waders in a few days and a check in the mail for the old ones soon. Works good for me. You do things your way i'll do them mine.

Fishpart
06-21-2005, 06:21 AM
I like my LL Bean waders, had a leak and new waders at the house before I could fish again, no problems with their customer service :btu:.

If time is more critical than that you should have a backup anyway..

The Dad Fisherman
06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
As much as it hurts I have to Agree w/ Skip N :D

I had a pair that I returned to their outlet and since they didn't carry the waders they gave me a Gift card for the full price. I went home ordered them online and had them in 3 days...can't knock that.

I think there service is top notch.

spence
06-21-2005, 07:51 AM
If you're serious about the LLBean waders, get an LL Bead VISA card. Free next day shipping on all orders. If my waders leak I call and have a new pair the very next day, send the old ones back at my leisure. Every dollar you spend you get merchandise credit for more stuff...

-spence

fishweewee
06-21-2005, 08:05 AM
I have several pairs of Simms Guide Weight (Gore-Tex) waders, as well as a few of the non-Gore-tex fabric breathables.

I like them, but, surprise surprise, they leak too after awhile. So I've sent each pair that I own back to the Bozeman, MT factory at least once, some twice to get warranty repair.

I still have a pair of Simms neoprene bootfoot waders from 1994. I have abused the crap out of them on many a rockpile and ... they've only sprung one leak which was patched up with goop. I wish Simms didn't discontinue their neoprenes, they're good to have as a trusty backup when the breathables breath a little too much.

Skip N
06-21-2005, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=The Dad Fisherman]As much as it hurts I have to Agree w/ Skip N :D

Coming over to the dark side finally i see :hihi:

eelman
06-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Ok Skip, you must like getting leaks, and you obviously enjoy exchanging waders all the time , at the very least your making money..Sounds like fun :thanks:

Bake Mellow
06-21-2005, 10:44 AM
$99 vs $425,,,,,,,:smash:

could buy 4 pairs- have 2 in the sled, 1 in the shed and one on your arse...seems like a no brainer to me, and at $425 I still doubt they tear/leak proof :smokin:

eelman
06-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Isnt this post getting fun!! :wiggle: :nailem: :liquify:

chris L
06-21-2005, 10:52 AM
waiters ? I dont tip them unless the sevice is exceptional , now waitresses are on a different service plan . If they look good I tip well if they are hot and the service sucks I tip well . If the service is great and she is a dumper she will get a tip but just a tip .

Rockport24
06-21-2005, 10:54 AM
yeah no way am I shelling out 425 for waders, I have some Cabela's waders, but the bean service sounds amazing, so I think I'll pick up a pair of those too!

Pete F.
06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Mine are Orvis pro guides and they are starting to develope leaks, well some are hooksnags, but I think my next will be beans. I already have the card.

Skip N
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Ok Skip, you must like getting leaks, and you obviously enjoy exchanging waders all the time , at the very least your making money..Sounds like fun :thanks:

Um, this is the first good pair of waders i have owned and they lasted a good two years before i started getting leaks. And i dont know how getting a refund means im making money. But whatever, I just like knowing that in the event my waders fail on me i can return them for a refund or exhange for another pair. Find me a pair of waders that will NEVER leak and i will buy them. Until then, its Bean all the way

fishaholic18
06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
The heck with waders, I go naked!!! :hidin:
I get a much better feel that way... :rotf3:

The Dad Fisherman
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM

Must get interesting when the Bloooofish are in. :shocked: :gorez:

reelecstasy
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Hope you take out the Prince Albert, that thing will flash like a tin :laugha: :uhuh:

Skip N
06-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Well, LL Bean has done it again with thier customer service. I got an e-mail from them saying they recieved my waders i returned and were issuing a refund check for $119. Well, seeing how i paid $199 for the waders i was curios why i was getting $119 back. I shot them off an e-mail and 5 minutes later they sent me a reply appolgizing for the mistake and corrected the error ASAP. Are these guys great or what!? Top notch company and they will always have my buisness.

eelman
06-28-2005, 09:56 AM
they are the best, its great that they constantly replace leaky waders, there products really hold up well. :laugha:

Skip N
06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]they are the best, its great that they constantly replace leaky waders, there products really hold up well. :laugha:[/QUOT

One pair in two years is not that bad as far as waders go. I know if they fail for whatever reason i am covered 100% Find me another company that will refund your money 100% no questions asked.

basswipe
06-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Not that this means anything yet but I've been using the Cabelas Dry Plus GII
breathables 5 nights a week for the last month with no complaints(or leaks) so far.

Time will tell how well they hold up.I fish relatively "easy" areas compared to some so the $109 I paid is well worth it especially when you consider the Cabelas brand name guarantee.

Notaro
06-28-2005, 08:57 PM
my hodgman leaks below my waitsline. sports authority doesnt have bootfoot breathable waders. damn, im so pissed. i just emailed the hodgman and asked them for a refund or repair or a new wader.

BasicPatrick
06-28-2005, 10:14 PM
does anyone know what kind of warantee come with the Simms?

Krispy
06-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Simms Warranty
30 Day “Across the Counter” Wader Exchange. If, within 30 days of the purchase date, you are unhappy with a Simms wader, bring it back to the dealer you bought it from. Present your sales receipt, and we will replace it, no questions asked.

The First Repair Is On Us. At Simms, we stand behind everything we make. But, from time to time, we all take a tumble in the pursuit of fish. If you accidentally damage your Simms wader during the first year that you own it, the first repair is on us. Simply ship us the wader, along with a copy of your receipt, and we will repair it and ship it back to you.

Further, we will only charge you our actual cost for any additional repairs that you may need during the life of your wader. Our Repair Department is not a profit center. Simply bring the wader to your dealer or contact Simms’ Customer Service for a Return Authorization. Then, ship the wader to us with a note describing the problem and someone from our Customer Service Team will promptly contact you with a repair estimate. Once we receive your approval we will repair your waders and ship them back to you.

$500 = screwed
Its obvious to anyone LLBean or Cabelas are the only way to go.