View Full Version : the year in....

JohnR
12-31-2001, 10:58 AM
I was thinking about this past year and I really consider myself very fortunate. I know that I whine now & again that I have not fished enough this year and that the times I did were far more haphazard than I would like. Or how half the time I was able to go was when the Tsunamis were hitting the coast. But this year has been such an amazing year, an eye-opening year, and a troubled year.

My wife delivered a son last November. There were some scares in the delivery room but in the end, everything worked out fine. He's going to be smarter than both the wife and me ;) - We can already tell. He's pretty healthy, brings us a lot of joy and I'm really digging the daddy thing. I am fortunate because he is healthy and my wife and I will do all we can do to make sure that he has his health. Liam is the best thing that's ever happened to us.

We bought a house (BEATS RENTING!!!!!! ;) ) We've had a lot of help from our family getting settled in. Uncle #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& pretty much installed a sweet fence all around the house. He was bored and couldn't wait for the weekend - I get home from the coal mines to find 50 holes dug, posted, & filled with concrete ... (thanks again Bill)

My wife hasn't kicked me out of the house yet ;) ... That's a good thing but it's been tough going down to one income so she could stay home with our son, at least for that first year. Too many people just don't have that opportunity to stay at home to raise their kids. I'm very fortunate with that.

I've met a lot of great people - from this site and elsewhere and I've got to know others more. How can I argue with that? Getting to meet and know quality people. Those people that just make your appreciation for life that much better... Thanks guys and gals....

I've met a ton of people just through S-B. Many of us met up and hung out and did (well, tried ;) ) to do what we like to do - fish... And we had a ball (need to get more fish though :rolleyes: ).

Learning so many new things and just scraping the surface on others. I had no idea that building plugs could be as rewarding as building rods. Maybe this year we can work on making our own reels....

On a more somber note, many of us have lost family and friends this past year. My grandmother passed away a few months back but I consider myself fortunate to have known her.

All of us have also experienced a crossroads of our nation. Where we face the determined effort of people that demonize us and are bent on bringing destruction to us and our future. It's going to be a long road ahead but our country has galvanized in a way that many of our own though no longer possible. We will win and we will overcome those that relish for our demise. I forget who said it but it goes something like this, "We didn't ask for this fight but, you better damn well believe we'll finish it". We all need to do what we can in this effort. And we will win. We are not divided.

The past few months have reminded me how fortunate I am to have been born an American. One day back in '85, I was standing on the observation platform in Berlin, Germany - over by Checkpoint Charlie - and thinking how lucky I was that I am an American and not living anywhere east of that wall. I was 16 or so at the time, but that made an impression on me that will never be really forgotten. The events of the past months will never allow me to forget that.

So, on the last day of the year, I just want to thank all of you that I've met or conversed with here online - I'm fortunate to have met you all. I'm fortunate to have a great family. I'm fortunate to live in this country.

Not trying to be too corny but Thanks.... And let’s make next year even better!!!