View Full Version : rod tip advice....

ragfly
06-21-2005, 06:32 AM
I use power pro all the time. Looking to replace some of my grooved rod tips with new ones..... what is the best material I can use? Stainless steel? Fuji? etc. also looking through the vairous mags How do I know what size to buy? Do I measure the rod tip thickness with my calipers? Any advice is appreciated.

spence
06-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Measure the tip of the blank in 64ths/inch...it's probably between 6-12. A good Fuji Hardloy top doesn't cost more than a few bucks, or spend more and get SIC or Alconite.

-spence

SeaWolf
06-21-2005, 08:01 AM
if you are fishing braid, you really should go with a quality ring material. i always suggest fuji. hardloy works, but it is a little more brittle and softer, thus possible groving. a better choice would be an SiC, alconite, or silicon nitride guides, depending on the rod's purpose. stainless guides, especially tips, will grove over time. your best bet, take the rod to your local tackle shop and have a tip measured for it. ask for one of the tips recommended above. if it's not available, buy a hardloy, keep it as a backup, and order one of the recommended tip materials above in the size you ust bought. fuji pst, mnst, ust, and bmnat are some of the frames you are looking for.