06-22-2005, 05:48 AM
musta been a monstah............

Mike P
06-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Don't use Mustads ;)

Rockport24
06-22-2005, 09:04 AM
man that sucks! What happened?
I lost a plug last week, the surf was pounding and I think my line got snipped on a sharp rock! what else is new. Maybe I should use braid?

Nebe
06-22-2005, 09:08 AM
:exp: those are VMC's.. It was either get spooled, or thumb the spool.. i thumbed. :doh:

reelecstasy
06-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Damn :shocked:

ProfessorM
06-22-2005, 09:21 AM
It is good to know that the hooks will straighten out before the slice you made in the eye will open up in the vmc's. Good test. Sorry about the fish. Just another reason why it is so hard to get the big girls. Paul

spence
06-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Eben, could I get an 8 X 10 glossy of that photograph to hang in my bathroom?

-spence

partsjay
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
That's crazy!!!

Homerun04
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Eb - how long did it take you to bend those hooks with your pliers..??

Makes for a great fish story though, doesn't it.... :D :D

Nebe
06-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I get no respect :huh:

Canalman
06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
4 times for me this year Eben.... it hurts......BAD :splat:

Slipknot
06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Do like chowing timber does, go loaded for bear = 1209 Breakaway, heavy braid , heavy leader, and use the 6X hooks next time, and put 2 split rings on each.
Take me, I'll show ya :D

ThrowingTimber
06-22-2005, 11:54 AM
He he he Eben I line those up across my curtain rods :vamp: Set your drag with a scale numbnuts :devil:

Nope sorry no heavy braid or heavy leader, or doubled up split rings ( I dunno what that was about). I refuse to fish anything heavier than 30 lb braid. I fish a stout rod when I want the option of releasing a fish, I hope thats ok with everyone :confused:

I go loaded for bare when I get that lil irky feeling :uhuh: :humpty: You wouldnt take a knife to a gun fight? would ya? kinda irky feeling :wave:

Been spooled too many times I always feel so dirty and violated afterwards :jump1: I fish a howitzer now Slip, you'll see it this fall :wave:

JohnR
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm going back to Mono... Already did for eels....

ThrowingTimber
06-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Slip I just had a harpoon gun mounted to the back of the truck!! You should see this bad boy in action!!!! Cant wait for the first week of november :vamp:

piemma
06-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I believe everyone on this site has absolutely lost it. Why not go back to the old Squidders with 50 pound dacron and 11/0 Siwash hooks? :fishslap:

Fishpart
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Eben, Nice Plug.....

Plug
06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Got 4x, day look like 2x

Nebe
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Slip i think the poblem was that i was loaded fo bear.. 50lb power pro, 60 lb leader, a big beefy 10 ft rod(1213m) the poblem IMO, is what johnR hinted at- braid has no flex.. something has to give when your put foce on something, and in my case it was the hooks that gave. When your using mono, its like a shock absober.. my shock leader was 10 or 12 feet long, so maybe i will go to 15 ft and see if that will make a difference. Also, maybe i will choose to use a cheaper mono for the shocker that is more flexible, and then use 60 flouro for the last 2 feet.
lookingvback i guess i should have put the brakes on it sooner and done it more gently.

Canalman
06-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Eben,

Take Vics advice... and set your drag with a scale.... I'm going to do that tonight, if Dave doesn't have my scale still :rollem:, That fish probably would have broken off if you were using mono.

-Dave

partsjay
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
4 times for me this year Eben.... it hurts......BAD

I must be fishing in the wrong area's....... :doh:

Canalman.....you need a fishing partner? :heybaby:

Rappin Mikey
06-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I lost a monster fish last week. The thing was taking so much line, I thought I forgot to reset my drag after tying on. Well, it wasn't. After about a third of my spool screamed off, I decided to tighten the drag a bit. Next thing you know I'm getting pulled off the rock I'm fishing on. When I say getting pulled, my feet were actually sliding down the rock (which was dry). Anyway, lost it. Haven't felt the same since. Sick to my stomach for three days after that. SUX!!!!

ThrowingTimber
06-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Eben... Paul.... play nice :doh: or I'll turn this season around and it will begin to hail, and we'll have 25 below with the wind chill

bassmaster
06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Eben 2 times for me so far atleast you got your hooks back.
I had 1 rip the split open friday
Im mental are You BTw?

spence
06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Eben, Paul...GPS coordinates please :bl:

-spence

Nebe
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Eben 2 times for me so far atleast you got your hooks back.
I had 1 rip the split open friday
Im mental are You BTw?

fishing mental 3 nights a week.. the other 4 are mental diaper changing :hihi:

bassmaster
06-22-2005, 09:37 PM
:laugha:
nice flat water with that huge moon.
snuck out for a bit
hey ya never know :pop:

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Eben,
How did the shad thing work out on Tuesday night?

RIROCKHOUND
06-23-2005, 07:37 AM
E...
Maybe hooked in the side of the gill plate or something?
I straightened a hook on a small fish a few times when they were hooked a bit foul in that bony area (got one in so I know where they were hooked, but only cause they were fouled with both hooks......) they turn sideways and still have their head somewhat turned a 12 into a 20+ by feel.. :huh: who knows maybe it was a BFT :tooth:

Or... Maybe them glass blowing meathooks of yours are too big for that sweet little reel we talked about :musc:
OR you hooked a moose and the fish gods frowned... happened to me a few times this year with decent/good fish....
either way, at least Big girls like that color.. and I have one :happy:
Makes a good argument for one big 4/0 instead of 2/0... either way it may have straightened....

BTW I'll tell ya the story but almost had access, but it went away before I knew about it :doh:

"PIEMMA WROTE: I believe everyone on this site has absolutely lost it. Why not go back to the old Squidders with 50 pound dacron"
Paul dont tempt me; I used that as a jig stick 2 years ago...

Nebe
06-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Eben,
How did the shad thing work out on Tuesday night?

tried it for an hour-- caught a shad right away, let her swim off the beach adn i waited.. and waited..... and waited..... and waited..... It felt too much like chunking so i left to try one of my honeyholes on the drop.

If I was on a boat, i would be into doing the shad thing, but from shore its too much work. plus i could only lob it about 12 feet...

I dont think i will try it agian. :( at least i tried it. :D

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Eben,
So does that mean that I caught more bass on Tuesday than you and TT put together? :)

DZ
06-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Eben,
They haven't made a treble yet that won't straighten under certain conditions. This typically happens because of the tourque generated when trebles tend to work against each other as your cow thrashes around and/or starts to rub her head in the rockweed jungle. The treble hook dilemma is the exact reason that Pichney and Coleman developed the stubby needle for use on Block. A Strong single hook will not straighten. A very bright idea that drastically cut down the amount of lost cows due to treble failure.

DZ

Saltheart
06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
One hook works against the other. Myn guess is the plug would handle large fish better if the middle trebble were removed. I think it would be even better if the middle on ewere removed and the tail hook switched to a single long shank hook.

DZ
06-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Plug,
Thanks for the comment.
I said "strong" single hook - I learned my lesson with those "forged" mustads as well. In my opinion they are not very dependable. We used them on our rigged eels but not for long. If you have to fish a single hook by all means avoid forged (pressed shank) models .

We went to Eagle Claw stainless 90SS and stopped the staightening problem. If you have a good set and the hook point penetrates it's hard to straighten a "strong" single hook. I guess the key word here is strong. It's a relative term.

DZ

Skitterpop
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
6X Gladiators VMC

Sorry for your loss Eben,
Mike

vineyardblues
06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Ok, I see this alot,,, fisherman who do not fish the correct way, :)
When you hook up DO NOT fight the fish with your rod tip up, when you do it's your line, drag, and hooks against the fish. USE your ROD!!!!!!!!!
Always Always Always pull from the left side or right side and use your Rod .

You may think I am nuts but it's what the Big Man told me. And it's the only way to land a large fish, Also a prayer helps :)

I hope this helps
VB

Plug
06-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Just to clarify I deleted the post Dennis is referring to because I couldn't get the image to post.

Here's the jig, 6/0 forged Mustad. BTW it was a "Jig-Rigged" eel. The jig was in the roof of the fishes mouth. It fell out when I lifted the fish out of the water. As Dennis said it wasn't a good hook set. Roof of the mouth doesn't allow the hook to bury to the bend. It was a nice fish (24#) but certainly no tackle-busting leviathin.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a252/Hughplug/bentjig1.jpg

Never used the 90SS Dennis, are they jig hooks? If so have to give them a shot. I know the Eagle Claw cadmium jig hooks are poop, worse even.

DZ
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Plug,
They're not a jig hook. Offset stainless beak type. We use them on rigged eelbobs that we leave in brine solution.
We did at one time pour jig heads with them - we had to insert some brass sinker eyes into the hook eye and then make them fit the jig mold. Pain in the ass - but those jigs didn't straighten. Might be worth a shot if you're fishing jigs.

DZ

Plug
06-23-2005, 03:04 PM
I've seen the sinker eye thing done. I've also considered bobs. I like the idea of a swinging hook. But down here in this fast moving water just a straight jig has always been very effective and is about all we've ever used. That and squids. I'll have to incorporate some more Yankee methods.