View Full Version : Tuna Partners

Homerun04
06-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Devils / FishOn / MakoMike / Others -
I am looking to team up with other small boats (20' footers with single screws) out of RI to make a few tuna runs this year. Mudhole and anywhere else we might find 'em. Anyone interested? PM me for tentative dates and hook-ups....

MakoMike
06-22-2005, 04:38 PM
HR,
Well, my boat doesn't fit your description, but you're welcome to tag along any time I target them.

zacs
06-22-2005, 04:44 PM
how fast/far do you run out, mike?

Fish On
06-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Awesome! I am totally in for this. I am on vacation from 8/15 until 10/16 (sorry, not posting this to make hard working folks sick, it's just my turn). I will be able to bolt on short notice. Since most of my friends have jobs I'll also likely have room on my boat for one or two additional folks occasionally.

By the way I'll be interested in a trip or two during the vineyard derby as well leaving from the vineyard. I'll be on island all 5 weeks. Sandman might be interested as well if they are in close enough.

Looking forward to getting some tuna this year!

SM, do you know if our friend Dave K. that has the spot on the end of the dock posts on this site? He might be interested as well.

Vectorfisher
06-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Keep me posted on this as I would like to learn how to fish for tuna.

Homerun04
06-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Great MakoMike - I'd love to tag around a real pro like yourself.

If anyone here's of any SBFT hanging around, let's PM one another and get a trip scheduled.

STRIPERSHAWN
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
im up in western mass (ludlow) but launch out of pt judith and run too the block in a 21 ft, would like too work with other boats on these tuna usally its a weekend thing unless i can get free ,but count me in shawn from ludlow

Duke41
06-22-2005, 09:46 PM
I am in. Keep the boat iIn Newport. Know my way around the Mudhole and other spots. Better to have at least one partner out there. Count me in. Pm me with your contact info and i will Pm you as well.

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Zach,
I cruise at around 25-27 knots depending on sea conditions. Range is about 150 miles each way. Range also depends on how fast we get there and back, at trolling speeds I could probably triple my range. but I would have to take a month off from work. :)

zacs
06-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Zach,
I cruise at around 25-27 knots depending on sea conditions. Range is about 150 miles each way. Range also depends on how fast we get there and back, at trolling speeds I could probably triple my range. but I would have to take a month off from work. :)

umm...no way I can run 300 miles at 25 kts.

I guess I will have to tag along with someone else some day.

_Z_

Fish On
06-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Zacs I think MM is in the minority of the folks on this thread. I cruise at about 24 knots (seas permitting), get just over 2 miles per gallon, and have a 100 gal tank. I can carry an extra 20 to 40 gallons if need be but I typically do not like to do this and will only do it if I'm planning to troll once I get out there. Using the 1/3rd out, 1/3rd in, 1/3rd reserve rule, I will only go out about 60 miles max and only on the very best days.

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Zach,
Its not necessary to run 300 miles at 25 knots to catch a tuna. When they are in south of BI you only have to run 20-30 miles to get to the school bluefins. I thought you were just asking me how fast/far I could go.

zacs
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Gotcha Mike.

Well, my boat was made before people would contemplate going that far on a center console. My under deck tank is 32 Gal, and I have 12 more in the console.

I can easily cary another 14 in jugs, which I do sometimes.

BUT, I don't trust my under deck tank, so I haven't been using it.

Anyway, I can cruise at 25Kts if the seas are 1-2 feet, max.

At 25kts i use about 4 gph, so I would say my range at 26 gals is 160 Mi. total, so I wouldn't really venture more than 50 mi from the slip. Once I replace the tank under the deck, I hope to get another 35 gal which would extend me quite a bit.

So, anyway, if they were only 30 miles from PJ, I would be all for it.

I know nothing about fishing for anything other than our inshore species.

What is typical gear? I know you need some sort of a federal license, but what are the details on that? If you know what you are doing, what are the typical success rates? Is a 19 ft. boat too small????

-Zac

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Zac,
You can get your permit at http://www.nmfspermits.com/ IIRC its $26. Success rates vary all over the lot. Some days its constant action other days all you catch is a buzz and some rays. You are only allowed to keep one fish a day, on the bluefins. A 19 footer is marginal on most days, if I were you I wouldn't go unless it was a really peachy forecast. You're probably better off hooking up with someone who has a bigger boat.

ThrowingTimber
06-23-2005, 11:08 AM
1 fish per permit or 1 fish per boat with permit?

Fish On
06-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Good point MM, definately don't need to go that far for the fish most days. I would also agree on the 19 footer being a bit small. Also, if you are out 30 miles and want to move around a bit to find them Zacs is going to be limited. If we do this thing however, there should be room on one of the larger boats for Zacs. You would be welcome on my boat.

The permits are on the boat not the individual, so whatever the rules are at any given time they are per boat unless specifically mentioned that they are per angler on board.

bluefin22
06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Yea I got the same as you Fish on 100gal tank and get 2mpg. So the farthest I would feel comfortable would be 30 miles or even a little farther if a buddy boat was in the area.

I do really want to head offshore and at least give it a try. I was thinking of some rod-reel set ups. For these BFT i was thinking 2-3 penn 114 w/ 40 lb test and 2 penn 115 with 60 lb test?? Am i thinking wrong or would this work.

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 12:45 PM
That will work for starters, but you might want to bump the 114s up to 50 pound test. Right now its one tuna per BOAT, and I don't expect that to change unless they shut down the fishery entirely. Years ago it was three tuna per man, but that was then and this is now.

zacs
06-23-2005, 01:54 PM
hmmm... i have a 114H. What rod size/wieght do you pair it with?

MakoMike
06-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Zac,
Best is a short "stand-up" type rod rated for at least 50 pound test. Otherwise, and rod that will take 20 pounds of drag will do. The longer the worse.

devils fiddle
06-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Your best bet at getting into tuna is waiting for the mudhole thing to start up around the third week of august through october. Wait for those days that are light and variable, don't push it with the forecast no matter what size boat your in. When the mudhole happens there are many boats in that area and it is easily accessibe to boats around 20 feet. My tuna season starts next week and ends in nov.. The buddy system works well and if schedules permit would love to fish with other boats.

06-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I miss the Mud Hole and the BFT! Steve if I get up there on vacation you have a passenger booked on Saucy. For now I am still planning for my first YFT run in my small boat.....

Homerun04
06-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Anytime 179....just let me know.....

Fish On
06-25-2005, 07:02 PM
179, When do plan on going for YFT? I'd love to tag along in my boat. Where do you plan to launch out of?

Homerun04
06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
179 mainly fishes out of the Outter Banks, NC these days....since he moved there a few months ago........ :biglaugh:

Fish On
06-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow, very interesting. I hear the giant bluefin bite in Feb/Mar is great down there and tyou only have to go 5 to 8 miles out.

How's it been so far 179? Did you move down for the job or the fishing or becuase you were sick of us?

Any NC tuna stories yet?

06-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Fish On- well I moved down here for a couple reasons financial was one of them. Thus far I have mixed opinions on living and fishing here. When I first arrived in Feb the Stiper fishing was incredible this lasted until early March. Since then it has been pretty slow for inshore fishing. There are small Blues around, some very large Cobia which have lock jaw at the moment, and I hear Spanish Macks are out there. What I have quickly learned is that a 21' boat is a great option for New England waters but really has it's limitations here. Oregon Inlet is a nasty place. To fish this area safely I think a 25' or larger is the best option.

The offshore action here is incredible YFT, Sails, Marlin ( a 900lb Blue plus was brought into my marina last week caught 30 miles offshore), Dolphin are all out there now but it's a 25-mile run out and I haven't had a day off where the weather has allowed a run yet. The Giant Bluefin will be 8-10 miles off the beach but I did not get a chance to try for them this past season.

MakoMike
06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Well guys it looks like your first shot at tuna is probably this weekend out around the acid barge. I doubt I'll be fishing at all this weekend, we have guests coming. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Fish On
06-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Hope you slay them down there. Send us back some pics!

I wish I had the chance to fish with you for a day while you were here. If you ever come back for a cisit and don't bring your boat let me know. I'll take you out.

MM,

SBFT at the acid barge already???? Do tell....

MakoMike
06-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Fish on,
I don't know it for a fact, but the fact is that they were spotted at the horns and off southeast light over the weekend, so I'm speculating that they will be in the vicinity of the barge this weekend. If I could go this weekend I'd give it a shot. If I caught I'd shut up about it. :)

ThrowingTimber
06-28-2005, 07:28 AM
You were right on with your two week theory Mike :kewl:

RIROCKHOUND
06-28-2005, 07:52 AM
It be that time of year...
soon.... very soon.......

I love Bass, but tuna ruin me from bass fishing for a couple of days... cant get em out of my head.....

bripatdown
06-28-2005, 09:02 AM
We are in the process of just trying to get into Tuna fishing. We've been out on other boats twice, but can't wait to bring one of our out for one! Unfortunatly we go out of Cape Cod so it would probably too far for us to head out with you, although this sounds like the perfect opportunity. If any of you guys are ever looking for and set of hands on any of these trips, myself and my freind who I fish with would be interested almost anytime!

MakoMike
06-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Vic,
Maybe one day next week? I can't take any time off this week. We could go exploring?

Homerun04
06-28-2005, 09:12 AM
I love Bass, but tuna ruin me from bass fishing for a couple of days... cant get em out of my head..... ditto for me...... :bgi:

devils fiddle
06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
making a trip or two over the weekend leaving from BI. not sure whether we'll be going for bluefin or heading to the edge. bluefin were spotted on the SW ledge end of last week. Its on. :devil2:

Duke41
06-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I will vacationing on Block from 7/10-7/17. I plan on fishing for Tuna at least twice that week. If someone wants to either meet me out at the grounds or get out to the Block and fish on my boat PM me. I have a very seaworthy Mako 241 / twin mercs GPS, Radar, Outriggers. I am ready to go.

MakoMike
06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Fiddler,
Not much other than bluefins being reported out on the edge. I did hear of the first longfin taken over the weekend and one or two yellows, but most of the guys were reporting being covered up by bluefins.

Homerun04
06-28-2005, 02:15 PM
If conditions permit, I am going to make a run out this Saturday morning...might try S of the SW Ledge....any takers? PM me....

Fish On
07-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Did you make it out saturday?

MakoMike
07-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Report pleasE :)

Homerun04
07-05-2005, 07:39 AM
I went out to the AB Friday morning...nice 5' - 7' swells. Felt like I was on a carnival ride for 4 hours. I had one knock down but couldn't get to the rod in time, and she spit the hook. About 1 hour later I nailed a nice 12 pound bluefish.....so my first knock down might have been a bluefish hitting the jet head. Not sure.

I plan to hit the area between AB and MH some time this week if weather permits. Any reports from you fellas?

devils fiddle
07-05-2005, 01:30 PM
fished the horns yesterday afternoon and caught a few. left the dock at 2:30 and was back at the island at 7. 5 fish between 20 and 40 pounds and we never put the riggers out. they're closer than that some fish taken in the mudhole as well.

Fish On
07-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Cool! Nice job. How was the battle? Did you use lighter tackle or the big guns?

My juices are starting to flow.

devils fiddle
07-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Used light tackle. Actually used my livelining bass gear and some heavy spinng gear (Accurate Boss 665, Thunnus 1600) both rigged with tuf-line and flouro leaders. Headed back as soon as time allows. They'll be around for a couple weeks.

ThrowingTimber
07-07-2005, 08:02 AM
New Delaware state record 873lbs (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050706/NEWS01/507060327/1001/NEWS)

Homerun04
07-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Nice pic....that is my target this year....a 500+ pounder on my 19' Whaler BY MYSELF.... :laugha: :laugha:

Iwannakeeper
07-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Nice pic....that is my target this year....a 500+ pounder on my 19' Whaler BY MYSELF.... :laugha: :laugha:

good luck!!!!!

What is the deal with selling - any special permits required?

i would be hard pressed to keep a fish if it was worth that kinda money

-IWK

Homerun04
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes, you need a permit....I think in this thread MakoMike posted a link to the web site you need to go to buy a permit.....$26 I think it costs.

MakoMike
07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
If you are going to sell your fish you also need a lot of safety equipment, including Cat I epirb, SOLAS liferaft and flares, survival suits, etc. All together probably cost more than you'll get for any one fish.
The website for permits is Http://www.nmfspermits.com

Homerun04
07-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Might make sense to team up with a USCG certified boat with all the extras when you go out fishing.....have them sell the fish for you, and bounce back a little something to them for their troubles....MM might make a little icing on the cake this summer.... :rotf3:

07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Devils- Hey buddy do me a favor and send some of those tuna with the blue color down this way, these yellow colored tuna don't seem to like Yankees :as:

Raider Ronnie
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
good luck!!!!!

What is the deal with selling - any special permits required?

i would be hard pressed to keep a fish if it was worth that kinda money

-IWK

There is 1 federal permit just to legally keep a tuna you caught!!! 1 school tuna allowed per day and 1 giant (73 in. and over) per year!
Selling is a whole different story!!!
Different permit, ALL the safety gear mentioned in another reply!!!

Iwannakeeper
07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks Ron,

I knew about the pealegic (I know I probably spelled it wrong) species permit.

And I figured there was a much more paperwork to sell them.

-IWK

devils fiddle
07-16-2005, 06:17 AM
fished thursday in close around the mudhole. boated 12 bluefin all cookie cutters at 25 pounds with another 4 or 5 knockdowns. never went south of the 800 line. plenty of fish out there and some real good action on the edge as well. hope you guys are gettin some its been like a lake since tuesday out there. :skulz:

STRIPERSHAWN
07-16-2005, 11:18 AM
devels fiddle what size boat are you in at the mudhole as i will be going out there friday the 22nd weather permiting in a 21 ft wa looking for a buddy boat i launch out of gallee tuna and shark maybe down too the gully any body going out that day and what where you using for lures if you dont mind me asking thanks shawn from ludlow mass

Homerun04
07-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Man...flat as can be today.....heaven for a 19' Whaler....I started at MH....nothing.....so I ran over to AB....nothing.....skunkola for me....foggy as hell today....saw nobody else out there at all.

MakoMike
07-18-2005, 06:48 AM
There were some fish between the harbor of refuge and the north end of Block last wed. to fri. Not many boats on them either. I guess no one in the area expected them.

Fish On
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
UNless the weather changes drastically before the weekend I wil be going out Saturday with school bluefin the primary target. I'm still debating where and will make my final decision based on weather and the latest reports. I'm consdiereing (in no particular order):

1) Block Island-Mud Hole area
2) Stellwagon Bank
3) Jeffries Ledge

Any thoughts on where the best action might be Saturday? Anyone interested in joining?

FO

Homerun04
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
If you decied on MudHole area, PM me......

Fish On
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Looks like Jeffries this time.

HR,

I've made plans for Sunday through Teusday starting 8/14 for Block Island. Will be staying at Champlan's if you can make those dates.

Of course, others welcome as well.

Homerun04
07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
FO - yes, those dates look good right now....I'll PM you once we gget a little closer.....

I plan to head out tomorrow......anybody have any reports around BI area for footballs...??? Mudhole?? Acid Barge??

RIROCKHOUND
07-22-2005, 02:33 PM
The reports I'm hearing is the more consistant action is further out Homer; but the mudhole was a good bet for schoolies all last year in July, no reason not now....

MakoMike
07-22-2005, 08:39 PM
HR, I just heard that one boat that went out today didn't get into the fish until they got out around Jenny's and Ryan's horn. Maybe thy've moved out a little?

Homerun04
07-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Could be...these bastards are hard to find......... :laughs:

devils fiddle
07-24-2005, 08:44 PM
the bluefin have moved a tad west. south of the sub bouy to the butterfish. cookie cutters around 30 inches and a little bigger. no need to travel farther than that for bluefin. went to the tails last wednesday and got some mahi and a couple of small yellows to 40 pounds. trolled from 6am to 3 pm overall very slow in the tails on the troll. :buds:

Fish On
07-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Trolled and chunked on Jeffries all day Saturday. Trolled for 4 hours on Sunday. Saw 1 torpedo leave the water, but that's as close as it got for me. No bites whatsoever. Have some nice cod and haddock though!

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of trolling on Jeffires I want to share an experience that I didn't enjoy. Saturday morning I'm trolling a 5 rod spread. I don't have outriggers so 5 rods is as far as I go. Another boat (about 30 foot. looked commercial) starts to overtake me on the right side at about a 30 degree angle. As he approaches I'm thinking he's going to go around me or just speed up a bit so he won't have to change course. He does nothing. At this point, I start to slow from about 6.5 knots to 5.5 knots and then to 4.5 knots to let him get ahead of me. He still does nothing and appears to start slowing down instead of speeding up or maintaining speed to pass me on the right when he comes out of his wheelhouse and starts waving his hands obviously very upset probably that I have not taken more evasive action. I'm about to start turning left since this guy is almost on top of me now when he goes back into his wheelhouse and makes a sharp left turn and promptly steams across my entire spread about 60-70 feet off my stern. He grabs 3 of my lines, my reels are screaming, cuts 2 of them off and just keeps going. After bringing everything in and securing the boat I chased him down and recorded his name, port, and vessel ID. I didn't stop to share my feeling or anything since I figured he was probably not well balanced, might have a weapon on board or whatever. In spite of what he did I'm not interested in getting into it 25 miles off shore. Today I'm trying to decide exactly what to do.

MakoMike
07-25-2005, 09:39 AM
FO, according to the rules of the road you were supposed to maintain course and speed. Mybe the fact that you slowed down was what got him ticked off?
The fact that you had fishing lines out has no bearing on the situation. Out of common courtesy he should have went way behind you to make sure to avoid your lines. But as a matter of navigation by the rules he didn't do anything wrong.

RIROCKHOUND
07-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Went out Sat; trolled from the NW corner south about 5miles past the SW corner; one take down missed on a spreader; trolled back through the center towards the fingers nothing; ran in to cell phone range, rearranged an appointment and trolled the muydhole for ah hour; one bluefish
140mi rd trip for nada...

can't win if you dint play...

and FO, i'd echo Mike's comments according to the rotr, you shoulda kept going, and trolling give no additional ROW...

Fish On
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Forgive me for not painting this picture accurately. I did not slow down until I felt that we were getting way too close. If we both did nothing we would have without doubt collided. He was already too far ahead (past my long lines) to be considering going behind me. He was going about 2 knots faster than I was before I started to slow down. Only when I felt I had to do something to avoid a collision did I begin to slow down and potentially to turn left though I never got a chance to do the latter. The only thing I can think of that he was thinking is that we were simply approaching each other at the same speed and with him being on the right having the right of way. And then not thinking that I took action soon enough decided to penalize me with malicious destruction of my property.

MakoMike
07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
FO,
You said he was overtaking you at a 30 degree angle, in that case he does not have the row, he is the burdened vessel in an overtaking situation and its up to him to take wahtever action is necessary until he is safely passed. OTOH if he was anywhere from two point aft of the starboard beam to bow on, he had the ROW and you had to take the evasive action. Either way there is nothing in the ROR that prevents him from passing close astern, but that is a matter of common courtesy. If I had to guess, based solely on what you said, I would guess that you were the burdened vessel and he got pissed when you didn't give way so he decided to run over your lines. Nothing you can do about it.

Homerun04
07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
You guys blow me away with your knowledge....makes me feel like I am a hazzard out there with my totally limited knowledge..... :laughs:

Fish On
07-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks MM that certainly helps. So two points aft of the starboard beam means he would be approaching me at approximately 65 degrees. It could have been a little greater than 30 degrees but by no means anywhere near two points aft of the starboard beam. If he was in fact commercial then he must have understood his angle of approach and what it meant in terms of right of way. The only remaining issue then could be that he felt maybe that I was going faster than him, but I can't see how. At least this helps me to understand better what may have been going through his mind.

As far as going over my lines, this was absolutley no doubt intentional and malicious. As my reels screamed, I blew my horn only to see him stare back at me as to say, "see what you get" and just keep going. I find it hard to believe that there is no law against intentional destruction of someone's property in this fashion. I trust your knowledge as you certainly seem to know what you are talking about, so are you saying that anyone can intentionally steam over others' trolling lines and not be responsible? I would have expected that if I ever did this, even accidentally, that I would at least be responsible for the damage, but to do it intentionally to me would seem to be a crime.

Thanks for helping me to understand the situation better. Right of way or not I'll be moving much sooner and faster the next time around.

bluefin22
07-29-2005, 08:42 AM
So anyone heading out this weekend looking for the tuna bite?? I have finally talked some of my friends into comming down to Block Island. I am not to familar with the SBFT bite down there. My plans are to head out and pick up some stripers near block then head out a little farther offshore to see if I can troll up/cast to a school. Just looking for a report to where they may be.
If any of you gonna be out there try to give me call. I go by INSTIGATOR. ch 66 68. or PM me and we can get into more details. Hope to see some of ya out there

Steve

Fish On
07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm gonna give it another try but I'm heading out of the Merrimack over to Jeffries. Good luck!

Anhyone else doing Jeffries? I'l be monitoring 16. Give me a hail and switch to 68.

Homerun04
07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Am I missing something....?? Aren't the seas supposed to be wicked rough this weekend..??

bluefin22
07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
I thought it was supposed to blow thru tonight and be more on the cape side.

Hope im not wrong

Homerun04
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
I might try a run tomorrow morning if the seas look calm enough.....anyone else heading out in S. RI?

Fish On
07-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Coastal waters from Merrimack River MA out 25 NM to Plymouth MA out
40 NM-
Including the Stellwagen Bank national marine sanctuary
346 PM EDT Fri Jul 29 2005
Tonight: W Winds 10 to 15 kt, diminishing to around 5 kt. Seas 2 to 3 Ft.
Sat: NW Winds around 5 kt, becoming E in the afternoon. Seas 1 to 3 Ft.
Sat Night: SE Winds around 5 kt, becoming NE after midnight. Seas 1 to 3 Ft.

ThrowingTimber
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I havent slept since the Tuna meeting on tuesday! I blame Mako Mike and HomeRun04!!!!!!

Homerun04
07-29-2005, 08:00 PM
I havent slept since the Tuna meeting on tuesday! I blame Mako Mike and HomeRun04!!!!!! I haven't splept since Tuesday night either, but it wasn't tuna I was thinking about........ :laughs: :laughs:

Fish On
07-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Trolled and chunked tillies bank yesterday. Lot's of cod and haddock but no tuna.

nightfighter
07-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Fisn On,
I for one would like the vessel name and port for future reference. Pm me if you would rather not post the info. ROW or not, I want to know who to steer clear of.

Ross

MakoMike
08-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Well, itr looks like the tuna are within casting distance for the shore guys. They were piled up of Matunuck and Newport over the weekend. You could fish for them from a rubber raft.