View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions

Crafty Angler
01-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Okay, so I spent a little time in Uncle Crafty's Tackle Shack starting to clean and repair my stuff and figured since it's the new year ya gotta make a resolution or two.

Nah, I don't mean the usuals like losing weight, quittin' smoking or drinking or helping out more around the house (I already made that promise, anyway - I'm gonna try - no, really, I am) :rolleyes:.

I mean fishing stuff for next season since we can start on some of it now.

This coming year, for me, it's:

- Traveling lighter. I'm going on a weight reduction program - well, not for me yet, I mean the amount of stuff I end up hauling around on the rocks. I got ultralight waders, which oughta help a little and paring down the jigs, tins, plugs, spare stuff and extras that add up.

- I'm really gonna try flyfishing after about a dozen years of saying I'm gonna try flyfishing. I figure I can start to tie some of my own flies over the winter since I already do my own jigs and teasers. But I'm still a diehard eel/plug guy. It'll just be a new wrinkle for me.

- I'm gonna use eelskins more - Mrs. Crafty made me clean out one of the freezers and I wanna recycle.

- I'm finally gonna get some molds made so I can pour my own tins.

How about anyone else - anything you're gonna change or try something ya didn't get around to last season?

JohnR
01-01-2002, 10:43 PM
1.) Pack light
2.) Be more intelligent ;) about going where and when
3.) Fish the East Bay
... That's just for starters...

Saltheart
01-02-2002, 12:10 PM
1) to go fishing more next year. Like John , I want to put more effort into fishing when the fishing is good rather than just see what I get on friday nights only. Any extra fishing will be in addition to , not instead of Friday nights! :)

2) Do something about my knees. They really went down hill this year. I finally decided to see a doctor and follow his advice and try new medicine , etc. Anyway , I've been very active physically my whole life and I'm not going to let the bad knees turn me into a couch potato.

3) Become a master rod builder. It takes a lot of work to be a great rod builder. I feel I'm already "pretty good" but compared to someone like Al Goldberg , I'm a beginner. I'm as bright as the next guy. I read the books and all the internet stuff but there is no replacing the time you actually spend building and I'm going to commit a big chunk of time to that activity this year. I'm going to try to build a rod a week in 2002.

4) Get the boat in "Bristol" condidtion again. There was a time when I would honestly say I had the best small boat in Newport Harbor. Quite a boast but it was true IMO. Last year I was good to the boat but in the 99 and 2000 season i was a slacker. Now , I can't make that statement. Last season I did a lot and this season I should be able to get it back in top condition. that' boats been good to me for twenty years and i owe it the time it takes to keep it nice.

5) get the yard looking good. last summer i did a lot on the house itself. This year , I want to get the yard all spruced up.

6) lastly , I want to lose some weight in 2002. Anybody ever make that resolution before? :)

Tattoo
01-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Head back to some of my fresh water honey holes I had when I was a kid. Largemouth bass on a flyrod is a heck of a lot of fun!

Learn to reach the breaking fish in the Canal. You know the ones you can NEVER reach!

Get more kids involved. There are a few neighborhood kids that I think wouldn't mind catching some schoolies only a few miles down the raod. Maybe it will keep them out of trouble.

Somehow manage to get Bill to sell the Northern Alliance a KEG of the Magic Blooberry juice!! :D

Swimmer
01-03-2002, 12:51 PM
The truth is you get to have twice as much fishing stuff if you flyfish too. Think about it for a moment. If you have legitimized the need for say ten rods on which there are various kinds of spinning and conventional reels to the wife just think of the possibilities when it comes to flyfishing rods, reels, and flytying equipment. The possibilities are endless, absolutely endless. If the other half complains about all the feathers and bucktail you can compare it to her craft projects that she makes. Its a no-brainer in the argument department. Then theres the flyfishing reels. You have to have one on each rod, and then you have to have the extra spools. Its wonderful it really is.

I have to stop typing this now my wife just entered the room...............

It is better to have fished and lost than never to have fished at all. "me"

Got Stripers
01-03-2002, 03:23 PM
1. I'm going to try to go slower, I swear :), since some people think I've got a screw loose behind the wheel of my boat.
2. I want to expand my horizons and get down to the cape to fish from shore with some guys from the board, but I also want to get my boat over to fish the flats.
3. I want to get out with some of the other boat owners as well, and see how the other half lives, especially the clamdigger as he's got a few tactics I want to see first hand.
4. I'm hoping to get the plastic business started here soon and will be putting a lot of my spare time into getting that going.
5. I need to get a couple rods built. The 11 footer I won on SOL came in damaged, so I'll probably cut it down to 10 and make a conventional chunking rod. Then I've got to either get the XRA 1083 built for my plastics or the GSB1081L, although I'd love to look at one of those first (anyone got one).

Resolutions can be tough, but you can make them a reality. Last year I resolved to quit my expensive and very unhealthy 2 pack a day smoking habit. I quit cold turkey, no patch, no gum, just plain old will power and determination. I'm happy to say it's been a year, no slips, lot's of times I came close, but I feel better.

Jaiem
01-03-2002, 03:40 PM
I resolve to stop coveting Sandra Bullock. :D

Seriously, I resolve to get my tackle better organized, especially when I load my buggy for the fall season.

Roccus
01-03-2002, 03:55 PM
I resolve to finally get my boat/trailer compatible, if at all possible..

For the past two years I have been trying to figure out how to make my boat actually fit the trailer...I've got a 17" 6" DelQuay Dory center console...it's a Whaler clone...like the Montauk, I think. I have an EZ Load trailer that's 2 years old and I will be dammed if I can figure how to get the keel to ride on the rollers without settling the hull down on the wheel fenders when it slides onto the bunks...I seem to need to raise both the rollers and the bunks but dammed if I can figure how to do that...I think I need some welding done...anybody have someone they could recommend? It's driving me nuts!:smash:

Slipknot
01-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Roccus
I think I need some welding done...anybody have someone they could recommend? It's driving me nuts!:smash:

Abstract Welding in Lakeville on rt. 18 can help you out. It's just past the highway on the left.

bloocrab
01-04-2002, 09:29 AM
GETTING EMPLOYED!!! :(

JohnR
01-04-2002, 10:27 AM
What kind of employment are you looking for??

I resolve to get a FIFTY