View Full Version : Jointed? or not jointed?

AnthonyN
01-04-2002, 11:51 PM
I was wondering if jointed or non jointed plugs caught more fish than the other. I personally don't see a difference in the 2. What would you rather use a jointed swimmer or the non jointed?

Mike P
01-05-2002, 02:10 PM
The problem with jointed plugs is, they tend to come apart at the joint on a good fish. I have a basement full of front halves of Redfins and Rebels.

I find that jointed plugs work best when you have current, and can just let them sort of drift and wiggle on a tight line.

bloocrab
01-06-2002, 11:50 PM
...Personally, I like a "jointed" ..aka broken back :D...lure. The one thing that I dislike about them is when casting them...the "joint" :) seems to add some resistance while airborne, because it bends. I've experimented with them while bridge fishing, and the "waddle" created by the separation seems to drive them bonkers...I noticed that the fish seem to return much quicker to strike again...versus the non-jointed plugs...but like Mike said, you have to keep an eye on the "joint" ...as far as breaking, unless you make it yourself ;) ...

Jaiem
01-08-2002, 12:22 AM
I used to fish jointed plugs all the time. Never had a problem with them breaking on a big fish.

But then one season it seemed like the fish just turned off the jointed plugs in favor of solid plugs. I know it doesn't make any logical sense but that's what seems to have happened. And I haven't used joined plug since.

ps- A caster once told me to only use jointed plugs in a current, not in calm or rough waters. He said it's because the jointed plug will bend at the joint and give the impression of a bent-back or humped-back bait. And that's not natural.

Mike P
01-08-2002, 11:21 AM
You don't have to worry about the jointed wooden swimmers that are fully thru-wired coming apart. Also---I never had the problem with jointed Bombers---they appear to be as well made at the joint as the non-jointed ones are.

But those Rebels and Redfins----aargh. The saving grace is, the front hook is forward of the joint, so you usually get the fish. It's when the rear hook catches on another part of the bass and the thing thrashes and rolls around that they break.