View Full Version : Salary Negotiation

Motor Fish
06-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Been looking for a new job for a few months now, and I finally received an offer. We are now in salary negotiation mode. They made an offer, but I obviously want to earn as much as possible. I have absolutely zero experience in this type of negotiation and I'm looking for tips.

It sounds like a great job and their offer wasn't bad, but like my mother used to say . . . "it doesn't hurt to ask". Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
:cheers:

Vectorfisher
06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Reach for the stars but watch out for the curb :bgi: In all seriousness be confident about it and get what you feel you are worthy of, don't get too greedy but you may start a tad high to deflect there counter offer some if there is one. Good luck

Homerun04
06-27-2005, 06:44 PM
get what you feel you are worthy of, don't get too greedy Sage advice..

scoobe
06-27-2005, 11:33 PM
I've gotten as much as 10% over the initial offer... not sure what's the norm, though. You can usually barter a few thousand.

BrianS
06-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Are you working thru an agency? or directly with the employer?

When I was going for my current job 5 years ago, I was adamant that I would not go to Boston for less than ~38K...

The entire process for the interview the agency told me they thought that was high end... I complained a bit.. and next thing I know, he tells me I have the job and what would it take again for me to take it? I told him again ~38K... Well he laughed and told me what he negotiated.. He beat it considerably.

Doesnt work without an agency to do the dirty work for you... but.. it shows that some places are a wee bit flexible.

The Iceman 6
06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Vectorfish tells it like it is, be "confident." remember, they want you or else they would not of made the offer. I would hike it up a bit but not too much, this is very realistic and the "hr" people expect a counter. this is only if you have not "agreed" on anything yet, hopefully you told them you'd get back to them re: salary. I'm sure you'll do OK Motor Fish. IMO, i'd rather have the higher salary initially then bonass.....

Ice

vineyardblues
06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Try and get more vacation time if you can and get it on paper.
I just got a new job and requested 3 weeks vaca, when it came to take my vacation they told me 2 weeks :( I never got it on paper, I just sent it back with my offer letter!
VB

Motor Fish
06-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

And I definitely will get everything in writing. Should find out sometime today....

Motor Fish
06-29-2005, 03:41 PM
:bgi: :bgi: :bgi: :bgi: :bgi:

Just finangled an 8.62068% bump in the salary!!!

:jump:

Thanks guys!