View Full Version : What would you reaction be?

eelman
06-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Ok lets be honest here. Lets say you are doing well with the bass and someone is just hownding you to take them along. After full and complete background check, swearing in ceremony, blindfold etcc.. you finally relent and take them along to your honey hole.

You know this spot produces good bass, you have been taking some nice ones and putting in your time! because you just know that tropy cow is right around the corner. Ok you get to the water, tell the guy where to cast and what rocks produce, you begin to fish........a half hour goes by and nothing, then your "guest" flashes his light from 30 yards away I mean this guy is really flashing!! you meander on over to see what the heck is going on? there on the beach is a fish the likes of which you have not seen in some time! its definatly over 45lbs and most likely a solid 50lber. :laugha:

After the initial shock wears off in a few seconds you congradulate the guy but inside you are going crazy! you have been here for a month straight looking for that fish!!! Do you now wish you had never been so kind??

Was that fish not meant for you anyway? I can tell you from experiance this happens!

Take the poll!!

reelecstasy
06-28-2005, 07:50 AM
I would be happy for him......seriously
(inside I would be a little jealous) but he would be back with me again the next night. If I felt good enough to have him there with me, he must be a good friend.

eelman
06-28-2005, 07:53 AM
This is all in fun, but I bring it up because Steve and I were talking about and I was laughing so hard I almost could not fish :scatter:

He told me the hang yourself story and well you had to be there I guess. Its not that the guy isnt a "good guy" or a friend its that you have been there for a month straight , countless hours and this guy bangs the fish in 20 minutes! I would be a little puzzeled! have fun with the poll :laugha:

JohnR
06-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Is this fictional? Or fact? Because if it is fact and where I think it was, who else would you even bring in there?

I would be happy for the person, a little twinged that I didn't get it but if it was truly a freind or someone managing some respect, I'd be happy for them...

eelman
06-28-2005, 08:05 AM
No one john I would not bring anyone exept for you I guess because of the brother in law implications :laugha:

But for the most part its a fun question and can relate to any number of spots I guess.

BTW, John I am going to see James Taylor tonight with leslie, steve and his girl. There is a late tide and I am going there for high water. you want to go? I will call the cell

I only plan to fish at most an hour or so of the falling water...Let me know

ThrowingTimber
06-28-2005, 08:07 AM
I'd be happy for that person. Jealousy is a female trait.

eelman
06-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I'd be happy for that person. Jealousy is a female trait.
easy there timber! maybe "tweaked " is a better word, no one is going to see a 50lber on the beach and not wish for a second that it was there fish.

Lets remember boys and girls this post is for fun, lets not start a flamewar! but if you do I am ready for it, I love flamewars :rotf2: :rotf2:

MakoMike
06-28-2005, 09:06 AM
It happens to me fairly often on my boat. I bring someone along and they catch the fish of the day. I'm happy for them. I console myself by telling myself if I hadn't put the boat where it was and told them how to rig and how to fish, they wouldn't have caught that beauty.

The Dad Fisherman
06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd be happy for him....but sometimes it does depend on the person.

I went fishing w/ a buddy of mine and a group of scouts. This guy is catching Nada and I'm catching Rainbows every 20 minutes or so. Nothing special I just tied up a slip-sinker rig, through on some power bait and let it sit so I could concentrate on helping some ofthe other kids out.

He finally asks me what I'm doing so I show him how to tie it and how to bait it, I even give him the power bait to use and wouldn't you know it he catches one that is probably an inch bigger than mine........and I've been hearing about it ever since. :wall:

Nebe
06-28-2005, 09:10 AM
i voted the last choice.. That person is going to drag that fish to every tackleshop looking for glory and your spot is cooked. The regrets wouldnt be over him cathching the fish of my dreams, i could care less about that, its more about the spot. If you call it 'your honey hole' and you take someone there, you can count on company...

I learned this lesson last year when i took a former board member to a spot, asked him to keep quiet about it and suddenly 6 guys knew within a week where i was getting fish :wall:

JeffH
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Hmmm,
I remember a few years back taking long walk on the advise of a RI resident and getting into some good fish. Told that person there were good fish there and he should make the walk it was about two nights latter I got a call about a 53lb fish. When your 1-1/2 to 2 hrs from RI and you know the fish are there and can't be there every night until the big fish leave well...I hated that guy.....

DZ
06-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Happened to me in 1987 - Block Island, my friend (a non-surf fisher) came along. "I'll go over here and cast" he says. 20 minutes later he's yelling for me. I go over and he has a 50 up on the cobble. Gags Needle with 1/0 trebles that are not even straightened, fish covered in kelp. He says "this is easy". We weigh it. I shake his hand, he releases it.
Was happy for him. Later in the week after he went home early, we all took our first 50s. That made his catch easier to take.

DZ

Nebe
06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Hmmm,
I hated that guy.....

:laugha:

spence
06-28-2005, 09:20 AM
I learned this lesson last year when i took a former board member to a spot, asked him to keep quiet about it and suddenly 6 guys knew within a week where i was getting fish :wall:
Eben, Champlin's Seafood Market is in the Yellow Pages :rtfm:

:rotf2:

-spence

Nebe
06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
:bgi:

Homerun04
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
It happens to me fairly often on my boat. I bring someone along and they catch the fish of the day. I'm happy for them. ditto.

Interesting observation I have made over the years....surfcasters tend to want to best fish for themselves, because they have to work SO HARD to find a spot, the right tackle, right conditions (temp, moon, wind), etc. Boat fishermen tend to like to see others catch that nice keeper, becasue they know they can go out fishing anytime they want to chase fish. In fact, as a boat owner, I PREFER that the best fish be caught by one of my guests -- especially if he/she is a youngster or someone who rarely fishes.

Just my observation.

Homerun04
06-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Eben, Champlin's Seafood Market is in the Yellow Pages
LMAO
:) :)

ThrowingTimber
06-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh its a 50 now!! yeah I'd push the F'er in the water :vamp: Fine a 45 would "irk" me, but I wouldnt be envious.

You asked opinions dude I gave mine, not flaming anyone. Sorry, if thats how my post was taken.

Slipknot
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Vic, take me fishing :D I wanna see you try to push me in the water :laugha:

BasicPatrick
06-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Now this is a question for the more analytical on this board...for me there are a lot of variables...

There are a very few spots that are my get alone and at peace places. These spots go out to no one, they are for me and my piece of mind. No offense to my closest fishin partners, just sometimes one needs a place all to themself.

Then there are the year to year consistant one's that I rely on. These places do get shared with my closest fishin partners. Ususally this is in some regular type of reciprocity. I call so and so and he calls me and we exchange info and call each other in when the bite is on. In this case I would be very happy for the friend that scored large after I called him in. No doubt I would have feelings, but the truth is I would be happy for this level of fishin friend.

Now, in the next scenario that goes through my mind, I would be off the hook. Working a new spot or maybe a known spot but happen to get into a run of fish. Bring another fisherman that I know but is not in my "inside circle" and they sore large. I would be out of my mind with resentment and jealously. I hope that I would keep it to myself or be funny about it but damn...it would hurt.

ThrowingTimber
06-28-2005, 09:41 AM
SLIP I'd push you in if you landed a 50 next to me in a heart beat I'd dive at ya if I had to... Then I'd RUN FOR MY LIFE LOL all in good fun guys all in good fun...

Nebe
06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Vic, take me fishing :D I wanna see you try to push me in the water :laugha:

he could do it.. of course he would be doing it because he was mad that you pushed me in for catching a 50 :hee:

eelman
06-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Hmmm,
I remember a few years back taking long walk on the advise of a RI resident and getting into some good fish. Told that person there were good fish there and he should make the walk it was about two nights latter I got a call about a 53lb fish. When your 1-1/2 to 2 hrs from RI and you know the fish are there and can't be there every night until the big fish leave well...I hated that guy.....

Thats to bad Jeff, that guy likes you and never knew you hated him so much :laugha: I will have to tell him :crying: :crying:

eelman
06-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Just for the Record, the favor was returned to jeff by this person, calling on several occasions to let him know when the fishing was good, boy I wish I could get a 53lb fish...I hate the guy too!! :mad: :bgi:

eelman
06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
:laugha: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&/caution.jpg

Saw this T shirt last night and just had to buy it!

JeffH
06-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Returned favors appreciated. If I can't be there to catch them somebody has to. Haven't had fishing there like that year since. I fish with a guy often and it's kind of a team thing sometimes he gets the good fish sometimes I get the good fish as long as we are catching. But a 50lb fish I would be smiling on the outside and crying on the inside.

zacs
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
On the boat, i would be psyched for him. I seem to be taking friends out this summer and I do no fishing at all, and for some reason i enjoy it.

In the surf I would be jealous.

_Z_

BrianS
06-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I would be esctatically happy for the person..

So much so that I would even help keep their head below water with my boot..

BigFish
06-28-2005, 10:27 AM
It has happened to me a few times.....I was genuinely happy for the lucky SOB but naturally quite envious. I took many photos of them with their catch and made them feel good about their moment...because that is what I would want if I was fortunate enough to land a large. :kewl: I believe one day I will have my moment...that there is a trophy with my name on it and I would want my fishing buddies to be happy for me....not angry because they did not catch it. Good Karma....goooood Karma! :)

ProfessorM
06-28-2005, 10:39 AM
I'd be happy for him. Hell it is only fishing. Paul

beachwalker
06-28-2005, 11:31 AM
off course you're happy for him. Like a lot of you said it's only fishing for christsake.

Thing is, next time I will make anyone who catches a monster at my secret (upon invite) TO HAVE TO RELEASE it unless they pay the big bucks hehe

Fair is fair, right ?

likwid
06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
photos last longer than mounts.
:)

eelman
06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Jeff that place has not had a season like that since, we were all lucky to experiance what we did for the time we did. If I remember right, we were fishing different tides, I remember going early and fishing till 1am and you would come for the second shift, truth is we all had good fish that fall...It was Something

fishaholic18
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I would Hang myself.. :hang: ..No questions asked!!! :mad:
Or I would grab the Trophy quick and release it and make like it never happened.
Or maybe accidently gaff the guy in the mouth so he could never speak again and say it's my fish. :rollem:

Seriously, if I took the guy there in the first place, he'd be a guy I liked and I would be happy for him. :crying:

So Bill, when ya taking me??? :rotf2: :laugha:

Mike P
06-28-2005, 02:05 PM
I'd just chalk it up as further proof that no good deed ever goes unpunished :wall:

Then I'd either :hang: myself , or sell all my saltwater stuff and take up trout fishing.

GaryK2
06-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Geez, I seem to remember drawing a detailed map for someone to a very special place...

...how quickly we forget :)

Backbeach Jake
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Ya get kinda numb to it after 50-60 times. When it happens, it enhances your reputation as a fisherman even more that if you had caught it yourself. " He put me on the biggest fish I ever saw" If they think otherwise, then I'd probably never had taken them in the first place. Wait!! did you saw 50#er? Got tree... :hang:

Nebe
06-28-2005, 04:37 PM
the one thing about where the #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and i fish is that its all sand.. so after one storm we move to the next sandy spot where a new hole has been formed.. i hate rocks :scatter:

fishaholic18
06-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Rocks Rule!!!

Slingah
06-28-2005, 07:15 PM
I'd be one mixed up hombre

beachwalker
06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Ya get kinda numb to it after 50-60 times. When it happens, it enhances your reputation as a fisherman even more that if you had caught it yourself. " He put me on the biggest fish I ever saw" If they think otherwise, then I'd probably never had taken them in the first place. Wait!! did you saw 50#er? Got tree... :hang:

yep, I thought about it a little more after I posted and I remembered it happened to me about 10 years ago when I brought a friend to quality spot who was an island resident for 40 years. It was a bomber week and I had been catching at this spot but it was a 1/2 mile hike in to it and I only had the energy every few days. Larry was a 3 night a year fisherman and I had mentioned him not to needlessly kill a marginal fish. Within a half an hour hew hooks into a 39lber and, well, this was far bigger than marginal and I was thrilled to see someone who didn't bass fish a lot hook-up big. I caught a few 20+ lb'ers that same night so I was happy.

Well, then Larry heads to the Bars and starts talking about the fish to everyone and anyone that comes along. At first I was pissed but over the next few weeks NO ONE came to the spot when I was there. It ain't MY spot it's everyones but the secret was out.

Larry died of a heart attack 2 months later. He was a great golfer and I enjoyed walking the course with and listening to his jokes. I go to his marker a couple of times a year for a chat. Fishing and Golf always comes up. He took what was left of his secret with him. I don't think anyone believed him anyway. I cleaned the fish that night for him and got rid of the carcass. Only the dinners knew for sure.

thanks for the memories Larry

Goose
06-28-2005, 08:09 PM
We had this discussion in the surf a few times. For me it all depends on who it is. If its some dude who's 70% hacker then hell ya I wouldn't be to thrill to be honest. I mean the guys that know the when's and where's often get screwed out 50's. I'ld rather see some dude who I don't know catch a 50 atleast I don't know him enough to judge him, sure I'ld be jealouse either way...who wouldn't. Thats why I fish mostly alone.

I know a few dude's who don't have a 50 but are far better fisherman then some that do...take that ta da bank!!

CAL
06-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I'd be happy for the guy. My ex brother in law took me to his secret spot and I caught my best fish to date that night, 34# on a pogie, and caught alot of other good fish there since then . He was happy for me and I'd be happy for someone else. Of course I've never taken anyone else to this spot.... I know how to keep a secret :hihi:

teaser
06-28-2005, 09:48 PM
It happens to me fairly often on my boat. I bring someone along and they catch the fish of the day. I'm happy for them. I console myself by telling myself if I hadn't put the boat where it was and told them how to rig and how to fish, they wouldn't have caught that beauty.

Can't say it any better than MakoMike did. :kewl: