View Full Version : Discussion on Iraq / Guard

Homerun04
06-26-2005, 02:49 PM
This was a split from another thread to move the political discussion away from a thread of thanks and appreciation... Thanks,

John

Kill em all...............

Nebe
06-26-2005, 03:45 PM
thats what they are saying about us for saying that about them because they said that about us because we said that about them because the said that about us. :exp:

:doh:

afterhours
06-26-2005, 05:49 PM
i hate these threads but... i,ve always wondered why we put the guard ( barely trained civilians - half of them for the $ other half to serve country) as opposed to our professiomal soldiers that are in s. korea and other areas and use the guard to take their posts. maybe it's just me but i think it makes sense to put the pros in. deepest sympathies to all who have lost loved ones in the service of our great nation.

Nebe
06-26-2005, 06:02 PM
afterhours, they wont put the pros in because they are too valuable. the word cannon fodder comes to mind. When the backdoor draft loophole ends, the pros might come in, otherwise you can count on a draft if resistance continues if not grows.

Nebe
06-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I just wonder how many people are regretting our decision to invade iraq..

Squidkids dad, some would argue that the terrorist started this. They did throw the first stone, but what did the terrorists have to do with Iraq??? Not much IMO. There are a select few people making billions of $$$ of of this war, remember that. Bush calls them 'his base'

I feel horrible for that girl who died. i just hope she died for the right reasons.

Mike P
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
If you think the Guard and Reserves are "barely trained", you don't know your ass from third base :doh: :rollem:

afterhours
06-26-2005, 08:15 PM
mike- short boot camp and 2 weeks a year is enough training? maybe i don't know my arse from 3rd base.

Squid kids Dad
06-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Eben...You dont think the terrosists started this and in turn led us to Iraq ? Why do you think we are there ? Oh for oil???

5/0
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Kill em all...............

I'll second that one.
One bomb,just level it.......Then put up a Micky D's :kewl:

spence
06-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Eben...You dont think the terrosists started this and in turn led us to Iraq ? Why do you think we are there ?
I'm really fighting the urge to rip into this one :doh:

Regarding the training of the Guard.

I'd wager the Guard and Reserves are trained pretty damn well, but are they trained for the right mission? Clearly this has let to problems at Abu Grahib...

-spence

Nebe
06-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Eben...You dont think the terrosists started this and in turn led us to Iraq ? Why do you think we are there ? Oh for oil???

Correct me if i am wrong, but there was never a link to alqueda in Iraq. why are we not chasing osama??? It is all a grand diversion for profeteering. The only way this is benefiting us in relation to terrorism is that its drawing them there and not here.
Sure, oil has something to do with it.. oh, not cheap oil.... really really expensive oil. Only a small group are making $ off of it, and WE are suffering for it... especially me, but thats another story.....

Nebe
06-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm really fighting the urge to rip into this one :doh:

Regarding the training of the Guard.

I'd wager the Guard and Reserves are trained pretty damn well, but are they trained for the right mission? Clearly this has let to problems at Abu Grahib...

-spence

dude your having problems with your abu too???? damn :(

Navy Chief
06-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Man, that entire Abu Grahib thing is so 2 years ago. I vote that we chop of some Iraqi heads. Those people will understand that !

Raven
06-29-2005, 05:43 AM
....they have plenty of empty desert,,,,so set up a huge sand bag fortess way out in the middle->with our very best snipers...sitting there just waiting with a mass grave and bulldozers near by...and call it USA base.... let the dummies come in one by one...shootem all and bury them daily....

since they want to use cars full of explosives and suicide drivers...take all the cars away....every single dammned one of them....

march all of the women and children out of every city and set up tent cities
way out in the middle of no -where with absolutely NO men allowed.

next take away all sources of food and water and electricity.

its our country to RUN...not theirs temporarilly....and so for now...screw democracy in IRAQ... we might as well RUN it our way and not allow them to run it their way.

JohnR
06-29-2005, 08:23 AM
I am sorry for the loss of every single person over there but especially OUR people. I am distraught that their have been 20,000 wounded US personel over there, beyond the 1700+ that have give their lives.

Its unbelievable that those freaks from Kansas that will be protested that SF soldier's services were allowed to put up their "God Hates Fags and America" signs. But the seargents father said that his son died in the service of our country so all people, including those inbreds (my words) can freely state their opinion. On the Dennis and Callahan show yesterday they mentioned that the local mounted police created a buffer from the public and the inbreds but made sure that the horse's ass ends were pointed at the inbreds....

I am still mixed about Iraq but I do not feel that the current administration has ever really had its thumb on the pulse of what is happening there and has been in one charlie foxtrot after another. I have felt this for a while. The leadership has not been competent enough to support the competancy of the US service member there.

For all the planning and base & equipment prepositioning that occured long before the drums of war went public, there was never a sufficient dose of reality by those pulling the strings. This administration has done a disservice to those that say "Yes, Sir" and carry out those orders.

As for our Reserve and Guard units? They are probably the best reserve and guard units in the world but they were not trained up to the level of the full time units, just not enough training time. They had to learn in a hurry.

Why is Afghanistan being somewhat properly handled and Iraq such a Cluster Flock? Unfortunately, we did not have one competent leader, Dem or Repub, to vote for last November. And our nations sons and daughters are paying the price for it.
I probably should not have posted this because this is the last thing I want to see here but I think I should split the thread in regards to ithe young lady from Cranston.

Homerun04
06-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey - thanks JohnR.....my first official hijacking......

likwid
06-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I vote that we chop of some Iraqi heads. Those people will understand that !

Hmmm, make more matyrs.
Good thinking!
There certainly isn't enough insurgents is there?

PaulS
06-29-2005, 08:35 AM

What revisionism! I thought we were looking for WMDs? What terrorists? There has never been ANY link btw Assama and 9/11. Bush wanted to go to war to finish something his father didn't. He morphed the pursuit of Al Qaeda into a war w/Saddam. Helen Thomas, who has been a white house correspondent as long as anyone has said that Bush was the only president she has covered who wanted to go to war - sad. But hey, don't worry, according to Cheney the insurgency is in its "last throes".

likwid
06-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Bush wanted to go to war to finish something his father didn't. He morphed the pursuit of Al Qaeda into a war w/Saddam.

Oh yeah, remove the dude the US gov put in power.
Not a single "replaced" gov put in power by the US has survived.

But hey, don't worry, according to Cheney the insurgency is in its "last throes".

"What about all those people pouring over the borders INTO Iraq Mr. Cheney?"
Oh thats just a bunch of folks. :hihi:

Fishpart
06-29-2005, 08:53 AM
The reserve component is more than 50% of th emilitary at 10% of the price of the active force. Need to spend teh defense money for expensive weapons system development to keep the congressional pork barrels full....

MakoMike
06-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Disregarding the reasons or lack thereof, for going to war.

There has never been a war in recent history that we have won and where we have not had to leave substantial amounts of troops behind to restore the damage. We still have troops in Germany and Japan fifty yeasr after we defeated them. And right after the surrenders things weren't much different in Japan and Germany than they are in Iraq right now. But no one wants to point out that piece of history.

We still have troops in Korea almost fifty years after that war. The only place we don't have troops is Vietnam, and that's only because we lost that war.

IMHO short attention span is waay to generous for the American Public's patience with any kind of long term project.

Secondy, think about this. All of the Deocrats and some of the Republican are screaming that Iraq's borders are "porous" and there are thousands of islamic militants coming in every day to fight us. If they are right, then I'm really glad that we are fighting them over there and not in NY and Boston!

likwid
06-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Name a single country we helped overthrow in the past 25 years that has stuck together.

MakoMike
06-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Nicaragua and Panama

likwid
06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Why did we keep sending troops to Nicaragua then?

1912: U.S. Marines invade Nicaragua and occupy the country almost continuously until 1933.
1933: U.S. Marines finally leave Nicaragua, but are replaced by a well-trained and well-armed National Guard under the control of Anastasio Somoza.
1981: The Reagan Administration begins the war against Nicaragua.
1990: The U.S. intervenes in the Nicaraguan election process through covert and overt means.

That dosen't seem very stable to me.

And the best part:
The economy received a boost in 2004 when the World Bank (International Bank for Reconstruction and Development) agreed to wipe out 80 percent of Nicaragua's debt to the organization.

If Argentina and Chile are an example, looks like all hell is about to break loose again.

note to John, et al: I'm being friendly and refuse to respond to any baiting/name calling/etc, thats for SOL/TT, not here. :D

MakoMike
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Liikwid,
Nicaragua has been stable since the mid 1980s, and you did specify the last 25 years. If you want to back further, say 50 years, I'll add the big ones, Japan and Germany!

likwid
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
then why did we have to send in troops to "fix" the elections?