View Full Version : Point Judith Question

BrianS
06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Never been down there and have some days off next week... Was thinking of taking a ride or maybe packing up the wifey and going down during the day to check stuff out... and maybe have a picnic or something..

So I guess thats my question, as much as I would like to consider it scouting for spots, taking the wife means its a picnic.. not a scouting expedition... In the pictures I have seen it looks like a park type area, is this the case? Dont want to take her all the way down there to find out we cant really toss down a blanket or sit at a table etc.

Mugz
06-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes, you can picinic there......no tables but you can throw a blanket.

MakoMike
06-29-2005, 11:51 AM
There are at least three state beaches where you can do what you are looking for. Scarboro is the biggest and probably the best to stay away from, its the mostr crowded. There is another, whose name escapes me at the moment, between Scarboro and the town of Galilee. There is also Salty Brine beach in Galilee, the beach is inside the harbor of refuge. You'll have to pay to park at any of them. But you might be able to find street parking in Galilee and walk onto the beach, its right in front of George's resturant. You could also go down to the light house or Camp Cronin. Rocky beaches and no facilities. You're best bet is probably one of the state beaches.

eelman
06-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Its a great spot for a picnic and there is ample parking all around the lighthouse. They allow foot traffic and you can have a picnic right on the lawn of the lighthouse, very nice!

Nebe
06-29-2005, 01:03 PM
it will take you about 20 minutes to scout P judith point..."honey lets go gook for driftwood and seaglass"..... time your trip with low tide and you will see what is out there... no fish there though... nope. repeat after me. "there are no fish in gansett" exhale, inhale and repeat "there are no fish in gnasett"/
brenton point in newport has picnic tables :hihi:

Crafty Angler
06-29-2005, 02:01 PM
brenton point in newport has picnic tables :hihi:

I certainly wouldn't take the missus to Brenton Park - the picnic tables are covered in seagull poop and there isn't much of interest there anyway.

Pt Judy is a better choice by far -

redlite
06-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Fishing Point Judith under the lighthouse is very trecherous. Make sure you have good corkers.

Good luck and enjoy.

Homerun04
06-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Pt. Jude is a great place....avoid Scarborough like the plague....Salty Brine is nice....I prefer Wheeler State Beach on other side of the pond....for a picnic sans the beach, go to the Pt. Jude light.

Nebe
06-29-2005, 02:59 PM
I certainly wouldn't take the missus to Brenton Park - the picnic tables are covered in seagull poop and there isn't much of interest there anyway.

Pt Judy is a better choice by far -

Ok you got me there, however the taffic is absolutely horrible getting out to point judith... brenton point, however is a staight shot with little traffic..

hey arent there picnic tables at watch hill??? :hihi:

race point has picnic tables i think :D :think:

RIJIMMY
06-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Picnicing there is cool, can be a little windy though.

BrianS
06-29-2005, 03:09 PM
We almost got married at Breton Point... decided it was too far away for all our out of town guests...

prolly headed to P-Town and the Race for the 4th... Well prolly not the Race, but one of them there beaches.

as for Judith... ive heard of its treachery... I need to pick up a pair of Korkers if not for just there but the canal too...

Just want to take the missus somewhere nice a little different though in the end.

piemma
06-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Just remember...if anyone tells you they never fell down at Pt. Jude fishing, they never fished there. You could wear tank cleats and still take a spill. I have falled down more at the Point than anywhere else.
It is one of the toughest places to surf fish. big boulders, lots of bubble weed and deep holes between the rocks. But when the fish are there OH BOY!!! I have could a couple of real slobs on the front in a hard SE blow :bgi:

ThrowingTimber
06-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Before you get to the lighthouse but after you pass iggy's theres a state park on your right hand side. No picnic tables or anything but it makes for people watchin :bgi:

RIJIMMY
06-30-2005, 08:21 AM
I have falled down more at the Point than anywhere else.
:bgi:

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

RIROCKHOUND
06-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Rolled my ankle on a rock there last summer, when it happened I managed to rip out most of the spikes of my right kork; then couldnt figure out why I fell twice after that....

After that it was a nut and bolt Mod to my Korkers.....
One of the fishyiest feeling spots I know of, but I have never taken a decent fish there... but I know thats me and not the spot....

BrianS
06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
I am looking forward to taking a peek then.

Hopefully will avoid mortal injury.. not really looking forward to that..

Roseneath
06-30-2005, 12:11 PM
You could wear tank cleats and still take a spill. I have falled down more at the Point than anywhere else.

Thank God I'm not the only one.

Saltheart
06-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Point Judith is great for a family picnic. The is a close restaurant right next to the light house with good parking.

As far as fishing goes , its Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde time there. The east side of the light is treacherous. The rocks are like someone poored old black heavy grease on them. I mean way more slippery than anything else I can think of right now. The west side is a lot more forgiving. Relatively clean , softball size rocks. You have to wade out into it on the west side. East side , don't even fish there if you have to ask someone how. Its for people who know what's going on by themselves. hate to see someone with a splut head cause they were too brave (foolish).

Chris in Mass
06-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Just remember...if anyone tells you they never fell down at Pt. Jude fishing, they never fished there...

This is a riot P. I thought is was just me. It's always fun getting knocked off your perch into a set of bowling balls! I use a staff here - it's good for something to curse at while you're flailing around - a hovercraft would be better.

Is bjs still here? ... and the fog horn always scares the fish away :bl:

beachwalker
06-30-2005, 07:05 PM
good advice Mr Saltheart. I fished there a decade or so ago and just thought that looking at the East side.

Quality spot though being on the corner and all.... :)

i didn't catch jack :yak6:

CowHunter
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
I dont get why so many people here are saying PT Judith is so trecherous....Its no different then many other spots in Rhode Island. If youve got the reight equiptment and know how to read the water it is a great place to fish.

fishaholic18
06-30-2005, 08:20 PM
I've fished it many times and don't think it's that bad, compared to other spots I fish....Got Korkers????

beachwalker
06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
jersey guys are so rugged....

:laugha: :laugha: :laugha:

In The Surf
06-30-2005, 10:45 PM
All depends on when you fish it and the conditions. On a dark night with a good surf rolling wading out to a rock can be hell. That's when your better off on one of the large flats near the stairs. Some nights no problem at all. When you can see it's not that bad. Your best bet is waiting several minutes after arriving and watching the surf to get a feel of what's going on.

piemma
07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I am not surprised at all the "fell down" responses. It really is a tough spot to fish. The upside is that if you fish the East side you will probably be alone. If there is someone there , it will be a diehard like yourself.
The East side was always better in the Fall although I have pulled a stray 20 out of there on a mid-Summer night tide on eels fished real slow. The other tip is that the East side has been known to light up right before a front with a NE wind. Tough though. Wind in your face and will weed up pretty quick. You need to catch it exactly right.

BrianS
07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
I just got back from there just now..

I will not go back until I have korkers.. It was low tide and I was amazed at the surf on the jetty...

There were about 20 people on the jetty and every one of them were fishing for scup... Not what I expected to see... but what a pretty area in general... The beaches in the area looked nice and I can totally see it would be a mobscene on a sunny day...

The lighthouse area seemed to be all fenced off so we didnt bother going over there. It was kinda icky out and slick anyway....

Saltheart
07-06-2005, 02:20 PM
People here describing the very slippery rocks on the east side are talking about Pt Judith (the light house). Not the east wall or the west wall.

BrianS
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
ahhh i wasnt really fishing.. just exploring, so we didnt really go over there.. we took a peek, but didnt go beyond the fence...

ThrowingTimber
07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I love them snot rocks out there! :cool: Tides there are nutty, because you got those three tides working against eachother, you got sakonnet, Nar. Bay and Block isl. Sound all smashing together just off the point... GAWD I love it there!!! and IF I wasnt going to a sox game tonight!!! I'd be all over it... That place gives me wood!!! :humpty:

Everyones slipped atleast ONCE out there :lurk: Have fished plenty more dangerous places its not that bad really, its a good place to test your mettle though...

Nebe
07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
I've gone down at least 5 times out there. the cobble more slimy than an eels belly. i know blackeye has gone down there at least once as I saw him go arse over teakettle there last fall. All i saw was whitewater and korkers pointing up to the heavens.. :bounce:

BrianS
07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
are you allowed to walk out in front of the lighthouse etc? granted it was the middle of the day but other than the jetty, there was noone out there at all.

piemma
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
It depends. Sometimes the gate is locked. if it's locked you can go around by climbing down the cliff in front of the parking lot, skirting below the fence and then hopping the rocks out to the front. it's really not that tough as long as you have the right gear and you take your time, especially in the dark.
There is also a path through the marsh but it's pretty mucky.
Most of the time the gate is unlocked so you can walk right through the Coast Guard parking lot. I may be wrong about this and if I am someone please correct me but I have done this for the last 15 or 20 years and other than the night after 9/11 no one ever stopped me. Of course the night after 9/11 is another story. Let's just say that I hadn't seen an M-16 set to full "rock n roll" since Nam. we should have known better but what the hell it was mid-September and the push had just started. :whackin:

BrianS
07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
ahhh

I saw Department of Homeland Security and even though the guy I was with is active Navy and thought we could go in, we decided to explore elsewhere.

Nebe
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
if you pull down that dirt road where the jetty is ( thats the east wall) you can easily walk the beach to get to the front of the light. Whatever you do, dont fish in the corner of the jetty... dont fish infront of that big bunker (theres a name for that but i aint tellin) and dont i mean dont fish where the rocks jut out at the corner of the small cove next to the light.. no fish there ever. :D

my god i am spot burning... :yak:

Fishpart
07-07-2005, 08:36 AM
:eyes:

http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Point%20Judith%20Article/Prime_Time_At_Point_Judith.htm