View Full Version : Gooseberry Parking

rickhern
07-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Got back to the car at 2:30 am to find a $25 ticket for illegal parking. I have fished this spot for 20 years without a problem so I called westport police and spoke with the ticketing officer. He tells me there is a sign to my right that says no parking. I inform him that the sign says no parking in the Turn-around which I clearly was not. He says I need a beach sticker but there are no signs indicating this. He then says Gooseberry is closed to fishing from dawn till dusk and always has been and I am lucky I haven't been ticketed before. Bottom line, he says appeal it and see what happens. I love this spot, treat it well and do not want to lose it. Any ideas on how to proceed. I am not too concerned about my ticket - I will take care of it - I am worried that the next time, signs will be posted and we will lose another great spot. Oh yeah, 2hrs, 9 fish two keepers to 35", all on redgills in front of black swimmers.

BrianS
07-03-2005, 07:29 AM
maybe its due to the holiday weekend?

i was down there fairly late and again fairly early a few times earlier in the season, I was the only one there, I saw cops come in and turn around once... no problems..

They are just being ultra strict due to the holiday.

wishiniwuzfishi
07-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Closed to fishing dawn til dusk?!? or the other way around?

There are signs down the other end of E. Beach Rd. towards the Allen's pond area that state "town beach sticker required" and "no overnight parking" which is kind of vague.(Do I have to be there the entire night to be in violation?) It sounds like he is saying that those rules extend the length of E. Beach Rd. all the way to the causeway. I usually park at the Cherry and Webb beach lot across from the entrance to Tripps and walk over the dunes and down the beach to fish the river mouth. When I bought my beach sticker I went over to the Police station to ask about how strict they were with the hours if they knew you were just fishing. The said if I park there at night I would probably be ticketed. Going to risk the $25 sometime soon, because it would be beautiful out there at night. Let me know how you make out and good luck! BTW, where do you fish out there? Off the c-way? Or just past it to the right like most everyone else? Never fished out there much, but used to walk it a lot when I first moved here.

just saw the other post; are you saying you park on the OTHER side of the gate and across the c-way on the point? I thought they closed that gate every night and opened it at 6 in the morning.

staltershoal
07-03-2005, 07:56 AM
i was out ther yesterday durig the day. no stripers to talk about but i picked up 6" blue on the left side just past the bend usinf 4" pearl storm swimmers.

:gorez:
dam blue fish

rickhern
07-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Wishin, Dusk till dawn, sorry it was 3:30 am when it got home. Walk around to the right , lots of rockpiles all the way out to the bar. Can't say enough about redgills out there.

wishiniwuzfishi
07-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks. Do the tunoids show up with any regularity later in the season? Caught my first glimpse of them ever last year in the river mouth but no hook ups. I know what redgills are, but am unfamiliar with this rig. Rigged in front of a swimming plug? Can you describe this?

stripercrazy
07-04-2005, 07:30 PM
wow, I fished there for 10 years and never got a ticket.when I use a redgill I tie a 8 inch line from the barrel to the red gill and a 24-30 inch mono line to the snap.. years ago I had luck with needle fish and I've had some big bass play tennis with my poppers.I know a guy that got a 47 pounder off the left side of the Island on a popper years ago. :ss: ed

Goose
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
yup, their giving tickets

Clammer
07-05-2005, 08:13 AM
[1] $280 ticket at 5;30 am no one on the road /froma cop with attitude //
[2] we had just pulled Got Stripers boat out & I went to get my truck ,a cop pulled in & kinda blocked me in . I waited guessing he had something to take care or =@#$%^& right he gave me a $25 parking ticket//

Both Westport cops & neither one was necessary //@ssholes

redlite
07-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Just parked there from about 1 this morning until 6:30.
I have been fishing that area for years, especially Allen's Pond. Did get a ticket abot 10 years ago down at the end Towards Allan's pond. They said I just needed to stay to the left of the sign.

As for Gooseberry, I have never had a problem before in years past nor have I so far this year. Cop came through and stopped and talked to me and T. Orlando as we were gearin up about 1 in the mornin 2 weeks ago. Said there was no porblem unless they got noise complaints.. You could have a rock concert at the end of Goosebery and no one would hear you.

I know they will ticket you at Cherry & Webb though.

Now that I have just become a Westport Resident for probably the rest of my life, you can sure bet that the police will know who I am if they start ticketing me in the Gooseberry area.

rickhern
07-05-2005, 04:37 PM
I spoke with Westport police again today. First they informed me it was not their jurisdiction and to call the State police. When I asked why they ticketed me, they said they sometimes patrol for the state police in that area. I call the state police, they tell me it is Westports jurisdiction. When I ask if I will be ticketed again they say "probably". I think we are close to losing a spot. It will be easier for them to just put up more signs than to actually patrol the area.

likwid
07-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Cute...

real effin cute.

tattoobob
07-05-2005, 07:44 PM
What are you talking about the little dirt parking area before the causeway?
If we lose that that is a bad thing really bad

rickhern
07-05-2005, 10:40 PM
That is exactly the spot Bob.

wishiniwuzfishi
09-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Redlite,

I went to the PD the other day to plead (again) for leniency on parking at
cherry and webb at night. The nice dispatcher girl could do nothing but smile
and shake her head at the scruffy looking fisherman in front of her. Then I walked next door to town hall and asked the town clerk for advice on what to do about the selective enforcement of the town beach rules. (There are at least 3 or 4 signs stating no dogs, but if you've been down there, you know that is ignored) She told me she thought the police issued night fishing permits. Back over to the PD and asked the dispatcher about this just as one of our finest entered the room, and she asked him. He said he hadn't given one out in years and pulled one out of the drawer. Going to pick one up for Sunday night after I get back from the Sox game. Its a bit of a :walk: but I like it down there. Hopefully the mung has dissipated a bit from yesterday, but I did find a plug washed up on shore in it. :hihi: I don't fish much in the summer but am gearing up now. See you out there!

protty31
09-18-2005, 06:57 PM
sweet do you have to be a resident? I live in dartmouth but would like to have that.cost?