View Full Version : Reel repair

Skip N
07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
My Penn ss 5500 has been acting stupid lately. I'm looking to have it looked at and hopefully get it fixed somewere local. Can anyone reccomened a local place that does reel repairs? I live in Seekonk so anywere within 20 miles or so would be ideal. Never had to have a reel repaired so i have no idea who does this kinda stuff! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Even if i have to mail it in thats fine but a quick turn around is a must. Penn says they have a 5 week turn around wich is insane to me. No thanks. any suggestions?

likwid
07-03-2005, 01:30 PM
buckos in Fall River does penn

beachwalker
07-03-2005, 01:38 PM
what are the symptoms ?

Skip N
07-03-2005, 01:52 PM
what are the symptoms ?

It only reels backwards and not forward for some reason. if i reel it forward like i normally would its almost impossble to crank and makes a grinding sound. One of the gears must be outta wack or something. Not very pleasant!

Skip N
07-03-2005, 01:56 PM
buckos in Fall River does penn

Thanks for the info. Do they have a fast turnaround for repairs?

beachwalker
07-03-2005, 02:02 PM
It only reels backwards and not forward for some reason. if i reel it forward like i normally would its almost impossble to crank and makes a grinding sound. One of the gears must be outta wack or something. Not very pleasant!

Have you opened it ?

Dunk a reel, let it sit and the water evaporates.all thats left is sand and salt crystals. It will freeze it up quick. If it sits this way for too long the gears will corrode and disintegrate if you try and crank them when they don't want to move. Open it, clean it if isn't broke and lube with some reel lube. Check the anti reverse when you are in there. That's the little clip with the wing that has a spring. It is the bain of that model.

I switched to the slammers a couple of years ago. They take a dunking and as long as you don't wait to long can be cleaned quick. I have had them running perfectly for 3 years now. the 460 or 560 would compliment the 5500.

Tell me how you make out...

Clammer
07-03-2005, 04:41 PM
SKip / some guys feel I have a knack of taking care of reels :musc:

Skip N
07-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Ok, so i got the damn thing to turn nice and smooth but now i have no anti reverse.

basswipe
07-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Anti is broke plain and simple.The last 5500 I owned had been repaired more than once for a wrecked anti-reverse.

The SS reels 5500 and smaller are junk that's why they were replaced with the SSg reels.Too little too late for too much.Slammers are OK but why bother when you can get a Shimano for less and have a better reel?

beachwalker
07-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Ok, so i got the damn thing to turn nice and smooth but now i have no anti reverse.

that is that damn POS anti reverse gear. It's toast...

You can get a replacement, it isn't to hard to put in but it will just happen again.

Fishpart
07-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Needs an anit-reverse dog and gear. Most shops should have them, easy to change. You could call and get them from Bucko's as well. Get two of each, they go regularly......