View Full Version : Legendary missed blitzes

Back Beach
07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
As a disclaimer, if you participate in this thread with an " I've never missed an opportunty" response, you will be immediately indoctrinated into the B.S. hall of fame. Now the thread:

After all the chest pounding, bragging, and nearly dislocating your shoulder as you pat yourself on the back while dusting off twenty year old fish slips, its time to share some of the not so great moments. Talk about the time you went left when the fish were right, fished high when they were low, slept through the alarm clock to find they blitzed without you, etc. I don't mean things like "I went to Maine instead if New York" crap. You had to be there or almost there. Show me the BLANK slips!

RickBomba
07-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I slept through the Blitz that Mike was at. I was out every other minute of the vacation.
I think about it all the time.
It was Rappin Mikey that day, I was asleep.
Nuff Said,
Rick

redlite
07-06-2005, 03:24 PM
First time I met Slingah about 8 years ago. I went left at the beach. He and his buddies right.
They pounded 30 pound class fish and came back to the lot draggin slobs.
The only thing I pounded was my head on my hood.
Has happened several other times, but that was probably the most memorable one.

Same thing happened about 3 years later. Fish had always been coming in to the left. That one night they came in to the right. Supposedly 2 near 50's caught that evening in that mayhem.

You can't be everywhere at the same time.

Homerun04
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I suppose every time I go out and get skunked that I am missing the blitz somewhere else....and that is too often for my likes.

Mr. Sandman
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Fell asleep in the truck, woke up to a pile-o-bass chest high all monsters. :wall: I think I actually cried. :crying:

eelman
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Man, I always hate "The morning after phone call" we have all had our share. For me it was 91-92 I think fall. I was at Watch hill and we were killing the bass most of the day but, the fish were not big largest in the teens and most 5lbs or so, I told my friend at the time that I had had plenty and I was going to leave for a chance at a better fish someplace else. He told me good luck and that he was going to stay and play it out. For the rest of the night I was striking out at other places. The next day the phone rings and its damon , first thing out of his mouth is "how did you end up making out" I told him not so good then he hits me with "well you should have stayed, an hour after you left we hit them big time and I had 4 fish over 30 and busted off a couple times on bigs"! took out a 39lber, everyone had good fish"! :hang:

Had my share of those...we all have :jump:

Nebe
07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
I missed a good one this spring. I was at the parking spot about to gear up and saw the thunderstorm coming and decided to leave.. my friend was there before me and was just walking down the path and I said to myself "poor guy, hes gonna walk all the way down there and get rained on, and possibly zapped... I left, he stayed and caught something like 8 bass up to 42 lbs if i remembr right- smallest was mid 20's

I wasnt pissed, i wasnt jealous, well maybe a little jealous, but i have a kiddo at home and i wont put my life in danger over a stupid bass, even a 50 lber.

I have many years ahead of me to find fish :D

Backbeach Jake
07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Talkin' to Mikey at RP lastweek "You shoulda been here last week" :hang:

Diggin Jiggin
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure on the year, I think it was mid to late 70's. I was still in elementary school. It was during the fall run and both my parents were pretty serious about their fishing and we were spending a LOT of time camped out at great point. They run a B&B in the summer, so once fall rolled around we had all the time in the world to fish...

On the day in question we had camped/fished overnight at the point. In the mornings we'd head back to town to go to school, and then they'd come back into town in the afternoon to meet the bus, and we'd head back out.

During the time it took them to leave the beach and pick us up in town, turn around and head back up to the point, there was a mammoth blitz with fish chasing mackerel right out of the water from the lighthouse up to the point.
By the time we got there it was over.

That was the when&where of the 60+lb fish that's been hanging on the wall in Fisher's tackle shop.

ProfessorM
07-06-2005, 07:02 PM
This was not from the beach but from the boat. Year 2000 Aug. 14th, hugh hugh school of fish came up on Scorton Ledge during comm. season. It lasted several days but first 2 days many guys limited out, 40 fish per boat. People ran out of worms, mostly tube and worm fishing, and went in and came back out and caught more. After 1st day only small handful knew, 2nd day few more and after 3rd day there were 100's of boats from all over the Cape even from Boston. Looked like a parking lot out there everything from 50' sportfishing to 4' zodiacs. I knew about it the 2nd day but could not make it till the 3rd day which by then was a zoo and not worth it. I just turned off the engine and watched 50 to 75 boats all trolling tube and worm work an area the size of 2 football fields it was pretty comical to say the least. Lucky guys the first 2 days made some serious coin. Paul

NIB
07-06-2005, 08:19 PM
I slept through the Blitz that Mike was at. I was out every other minute of the vacation.
I think about it all the time.
It was Rappin Mikey that day, I was asleep.
Nuff Said,
Rick

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slipknot
07-06-2005, 08:36 PM
This was not from the beach but from the boat. Year 2000 Aug. 14th, hugh hugh school of fish came up on Scorton Ledge during comm. season. It lasted several days but first 2 days many guys limited out, 40 fish per boat. People ran out of worms, mostly tube and worm fishing, and went in and came back out and caught more. After 1st day only small handful knew, 2nd day few more and after 3rd day there were 100's of boats from all over the Cape even from Boston. Looked like a parking lot out there everything from 50' sportfishing to 4' zodiacs. I knew about it the 2nd day but could not make it till the 3rd day which by then was a zoo and not worth it. I just turned off the engine and watched 50 to 75 boats all trolling tube and worm work an area the size of 2 football fields it was pretty comical to say the least. Lucky guys the first 2 days made some serious coin. Paul

I was there and got my dad his first keeper bass. It was madness. Charter boats were rude and cut people off.

Back Beach
07-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Before I jump in here,what is the capacity of this server?

capesams
07-07-2005, 05:44 AM
two of us were fishing this spot...we both had the same outfits,,rods,reels eels....etc.....we were side by side....he couldn't miss..fish every cast...he walked out with a boat load,,,,I got zip.

Slipknot
07-07-2005, 06:51 AM
two of us were fishing this spot...we both had the same outfits,,rods,reels eels....etc.....we were side by side....he couldn't miss..fish every cast...he walked out with a boat load,,,,I got zip.
does the other guy smoke too? :huh: that's weird

reelecstasy
07-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Last fall, driving to work along the beach. I rounded the corner and bam, birds diving fish breaking about 75 yrds wide. I was just given a disiplinary warning at work for missing days (gee, wonder why-its the fall-derr). Anyway, my sensible half (gf) knows whats in my head and tries to comfort me, as I drive right past it to work...... Sometimes I hate being semi-responsible :doh:
That is the closet I have ever been..............................many years ahead of me anyway, I hope.

bart
07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
last fall in westerly we opted for one spot at dawn but nothing was doing so we headed east. as soon as we got there a guy was unhooking a 20 he got on a popper and there were 15# blues on the beach. you could see monster explosions just out of casting range and gannetts diving everywhere. took a look in the water and there were 5" bunker everywhere, looked like schools of storm shads. i'm guessing the larger explosions were big bass on adult bunker, but we never got a chance at them as they had already moved offshore by the time we got there. must've been 50 guys there that morning...

capesams
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
does the other guy smoke too? :huh: that's weird

sure did.... we take turns kicking each other's butts...one night I'd get all the fish he'd get nothing,,then come's along the next nite he'd do me in...neither one of us could finger it out...all these years we probably came out even in the end.

Swimmer
07-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I remember fishing off of Barnstable harbor with my brother-in-law and his father about a mile out more than once with all the charters boats around when virtually every rod that had a line in the water was tight in the late sixties and very ealry seventies. They did not pod like the (FFB's) Famous Fishing Bombas picture, but were so thick that almost all of the boats had fish on. It was the best of times and as it turn out for us the worst of times. To say some of those mornings were extraordinary is an understatement. I would bet at times I saw 70 to 80 boats trolling in the area, especially on weekends. No pic's though.

Jenn
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
sure did.... we take turns kicking each other's butts...one night I'd get all the fish he'd get nothing,,then come's along the next nite he'd do me in...neither one of us could finger it out...all these years we probably came out even in the end.

Ditto......one night I seem to catch all the fish and the next night my hubby catches all the fish.....

Karl F
07-07-2005, 06:02 PM
But.. the one that sticks out, and this is kinda like "the liitle boy who cried wolf" story... there was/is a guy who fishes my beach, he is known by some as "***** the liar" cause it's always, oh man U shoulda seen them last night, or "how'd ya do?".. nada.. "Man, I killed them at # such and such, or, on the other side... anyway, I'm heading out one night, run into him while I'm airing down, he tells me to go to X, killing them there, blitz, all stacked up.. "Why you leaving them, then?".... "Gotta go, hate to, but gotta go".... me thinks.. Yeah... Right!.
Go about my business, catch a few twinks here and there, few hours later, after noticing that the areas I've been in have been unusually uncrowded.. I drive over to X.. guys packing stuff up, getting ready to split, fish stacked all over the beach.... "Man... Karl.. we killed them for a few hours...U should been here, all of a sudden like, they just left about 20 minutes ago...."
:behead:

The one time I shoulda listened to this guy, and 'cause of his rep.. I got :yak:

RoyL
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
4 or 5 years ago I was fishing up inside nauset inlet with a friend on my canoe. it had been a good day so far with some keepers and one fish close to 30. I had been laughing at the other boats that couldn't get into the skinny water that we were fishing. Then all of a sudden boats start to fly out from every where. I could see the mouth of the inlet was packed with trucks. Now I was the one to be laughed at in my Canoe. I saw a guy I knew on the way in after watching this blitz go on for about 1/2 hour. he had two fish over 40 and said it was sick. Bass and blues every where and then the Tuna moved in and half the beach and boat guys got spooled. so close yet so far

JohnR
07-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Before I jump in here,what is the capacity of this server?

BIG