View Full Version : New Book: Striper Wars – A must read!

Fish_Eye
07-08-2005, 11:25 AM
New Book: "Striper Wars"

"Striper Wars" is well written, comprehensive and insightful...as much a celebration of the striped bass as a story about its recovery.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The book is a must-read for any angler who understands the allure of stripers and striper fishing, and it's also a call to arms for a grassroots push for effective ecosystem-wide management.

#^&#^&#^&#^& Russell has written one of the most important books you can read regarding our favorite gamefish. It is available at Amazon and other local book stores.

Thom
07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Little more than 3/4 threw it very good book. Scarey on how close we came to losing this fish. THomT

BigFish
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I just arrived home from the book store with a copy....can't wait to dig in! :bounce:

Thom
07-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Bigfish Dig in is right it is a very good book but it is not a quick read, ThomT

NIB
07-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Does it have alot of pictures.???

Joe
07-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi Fish Eye :wave:

Crafty Angler
07-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Fish Eye :wave:

Geeeez....I guess we can call off the search for the peripatetic piniped now :hihi:

Como esta, dude?

BasicPatrick
07-10-2005, 11:13 PM
New Book: "Striper Wars"

"Striper Wars" is well written, comprehensive and insightful...as much a celebration of the striped bass as a story about its recovery.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The book is a must-read for any angler who understands the allure of stripers and striper fishing, and it's also a call to arms for a grassroots push for effective ecosystem-wide management.

#^&#^&#^&#^& Russell has written one of the most important books you can read regarding our favorite gamefish. It is available at Amazon and other local book stores.

C :rtfm: oming to a MSBA meeting in the near future

DZ
07-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I remember #^&#^&#^&#^& Russell being at many of the meetings where striper stocks were being hashed out. I was very involved in the process back during that time period. Some of us had the foresight to see things were not good with the fishery. The Comms - both trap and pinhook fought every conservation measure proposed. I remember the first time the #^&#^&#^&#^& came to speak at some of the RI hearings. The RI commercial crowd didn't want to let him speak because he was a "Mass resident." I told #^&#^&#^&#^& later in the meeting that I would read his prepaired statement if they wouldn't let him speak. The officials did eventually let him speak his piece.
I vaguely remember #^&#^&#^&#^& saying at the time that he had "never caught a striper" and wanted to be able to catch one in the future. I couldn't believe someone who had never caught a bass would be willing to work for its protection.
Thanks to a handfull of people up and down the coast and the "PCB" contamination scare the striper fishery was probably saved.
Looking forward to reading the book.

DZ

B-assman
07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Just picked up a copy at Borders - tough to find - they've got it in the "Animals" section - Right next to books about training your bird! :huh:

Goose
07-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Screw da books i want the VIDEO

Mr. Sandman
07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I see from his web site (http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&russell.org/striper.htm) he will be (in my hood) at "Bunch of Grapes" bookstore doing a talk and signing some books the day before I leave for a few days R&R with the family at CH....I can't think of better reading material for that trip... :hee:

piemma
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
read the book in 2 sittings. I still have rods with 34" and 36" marked on them for measuring bass during the moratorium. Yes, we did have a 36" minimum. There were no 15 pound fish being killed back then. Thank God for folks like #^&#^&#^&#^& Russell, Bob Pond, Jim White, and the countless other fishermen who realized that the Striper what on the road to extinction. :wavey:

Mr. Sandman
07-22-2005, 08:31 PM
***just*** came back from #^&#^&#^&#^& Russles Striper Wars slide show presentation in VH this evening. Modest attendance, surprised more did not attend. It was being video-taped for a tape (I think) that the bunch-of-grapes will book store puts out.

Lots of striper history in this presentation. Photos of the hauls made in NC, LI, and VA were ones I have not seen before and were mind boggling when they mentioned the #'s taken in a single haul. He made many good points, some I agree with and some I take issue with. Chatted with him for a few moments but never had time to get to the meat of any point. No matter, got a nice signed copy and topped it off with an ice cream and a walk.

One thing he mentioned is struck a chord with me...that today, 90% of bass caught by recs are now released. (This is a complete turn around from the 70's and 80's). My question to him was then if that is true, how is this accounted for when states compute how many fish recs take, and if not, shouldn't this number be revised?

Will read this, this week.

S-Journey
08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Just got this from Amazon, 17.79 for the book which works out to 34% off if anyone is interested

-----------------------
You might like to know that #^&#^&#^&#^& Russell's Striper Wars : An American Fish Story is now available . You can order your copy at a savings of 34% by following the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=21073INRSDKNZ&C=1TUZ2YJW391UR&T=C&U=/gp/legacy%2Dhandle%2Dbuy%2Dbox.html/ref=pe%5F?asin=1559636327%26asin.1559636327=1%26te mplate%2Dname=stores/detail%261559636327=1&H=TWwnhHxmyZwREc76tLHfMtN5DWQA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Striper Wars : An American Fish Story
#^&#^&#^&#^& Russell
Price: $17.79
You Save: $9.16(34%)

(July 1, 2005)