View Full Version : Dog Fish

tattoobob
07-11-2005, 06:17 PM
This past few years the Dog Fish is becoming more and more a problem fist buy catching them from shore a few years ago to last week catching one on a live eel. they seem to be showing up earlier every year and when they are around the stripers stay away. what are your view on this problem?

Raider Ronnie
07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
They need to let the commercial guys start slaughtering them again and let them sell to the english as fish & chips!!!
Who cares if they become extinct!!!
They're not exactly important in the food chain, are they!!! :rocketem:

blue oyster
07-11-2005, 08:53 PM
caught a couple trolling last year on a mag 18 could not believe it , i was marking so many i turned off my fish finder i thought it was going to melt :wall:

Bass Babe
07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Down Jersey a couple years ago, the boat I worked on had a Father's Day fishing sail -- nothing but dogfish the whole trip. I can't even imagine how many there are now. Cute, friendly little buggers, though.

Raider Ronnie
07-12-2005, 05:11 AM
Down Jersey a couple years ago, the boat I worked on had a Father's Day fishing sail -- nothing but dogfish the whole trip. I can't even imagine how many there are now. Cute, friendly little buggers, though.

Much cuter with broken noses!!!! :uhuh:

MakoMike
07-12-2005, 06:34 AM
I don't think they keep the bass away, we have caught dogfish after dogfish and then a striper, then a dogfish then a striper, then a dogfish. You get the idea.

likwid
07-12-2005, 06:56 AM
They're not exactly important in the food chain, are they!!!

Actually they are.

Iwannakeeper
07-12-2005, 08:32 AM
they may not chase the bass away (don't really know), but they definitely comsume a lot of bait meant for stripers.

I do not think there is enough bait as there is....and I hate to see a nice live herring/mack/pollack get torn up by dogfish

Mr. Sandman
07-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Dogfish stink. IMO the DMF has no idea what they are doing. Clearly they do not actually get out there and fish themselves. They need to STOP reading bad science reports, leave their desks and wet a line. If you put bait on the bottom in the waters between MV and ACK you will catch 90%+ dogfish.

The dogfish males are clearly finding the dogfish females...who cares if some bonehead grad student or wannabe research scientist can find them. Come fishing with me I can make you sick of the species within one day and have you give up bottom fishing forever....People are all ready not wanting to go bottom fishing because of the dogsfish, this is a bad sign and certainly not good for the fishing related economies.

blue oyster
07-12-2005, 09:00 AM
it would not be as bad if they had some fight in them , its like reeling in a bag of garbage

likwid
07-12-2005, 09:02 AM
The DMF doesn't care about rec (as long as there is no licensing) they only care about Comm.

Squibby17
07-12-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm with sand man on this one.

If you fish the bottom off east beach on chappy I can guarantee you will catch as many dog fish as you could possibly want or not want. :wall:

I have noticed in recent years that they also take live eels. After many chewed up eels and missed hook sets I can generally feel the difference between a dog and a striper. I have caught stripers and dogs at the same place on different casts, so I don't think they affect one another tremedously.

Bass Babe
07-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Dogfish stink. IMO the DMF has no idea what they are doing. Clearly they do not actually get out there and fish themselves. They need to STOP reading bad science reports, leave their desks and wet a line. If you put bait on the bottom in the waters between MV and ACK you will catch 90%+ dogfish.

The dogfish males are clearly finding the dogfish females...who cares if some bonehead grad student or wannabe research scientist can find them. Come fishing with me I can make you sick of the species within one day and have you give up bottom fishing forever....People are all ready not wanting to go bottom fishing because of the dogsfish, this is a bad sign and certainly not good for the fishing related economies.

Sandy -- Without the grad students and research scientists, we'd have no concrete information on fish species, nothing on which to base management. Part of management is politics, so it won't always seem like it's based on good science, even though it may be available. I agree that something needs to be done about the overabundance of dogfish, but insulting those people that work for your fisheries is probably not the way to go. I've done some pretty good research, I feel, and I know that when I get into upper level fisheries management, my decisions will be based on ecology, sociology, and economy. Maybe the older managers haven't been trained well, but I know that I and my colleagues that I went to school with and the people that we learned from have a pretty good handle on things.

MrHunters
07-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Dogfish are to Striper fishing
As Herpes is to ones love life.

If we start brining up dog fish we just move on. I hate them. If they are important to the food chain well whatever is supposed to be eating them is not doing a very good job at it. You pull one up and you can see 7 or 8 of them following lookng for extra scraps.... They are the Organized Crime of the Sea. I think they are methodically taking over and will then give out rations of food to the stripers for a hefty price.

Sorry..... I just dont like em.

likwid
07-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Just like wolves and coyotes were a "menace" and unnecessary too right?

Prepare for the spider crab invasion of doom.