View Full Version : Casting help!!!

jbapinoy
07-14-2005, 08:25 AM
I been using Power Pro braid for a while and it's killing my finger when casting. I read in one of the forum way back that there's a small launcher or the one that holds your line with a trigger when casting I forgot the name. I tried searching it on Cabela's but they don't have it. Anybody know what I'm talking about and any feedback on them.

fishsmith
07-14-2005, 08:31 AM
the cheap fix is a piece of tape on your thumb or index finger.

Iwannakeeper
07-14-2005, 08:37 AM
I agree with the tape thing.

When using braid and throwing a lot of weight I use tape.

There are also leather finger sleeves to protect.

When you speak of the launchers - I assume you are talking spinning?

Iwannakeeper
07-14-2005, 08:39 AM
oops - I think the launcher you are discussing are called break-aways.

call Mike at M&Ds (Cape Cod Tackle)- he's da' man!!! i could have sworn I saw them at Mike at some point.

-IWK

partsjay
07-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Do a search for Breakaway Cannon....Mike may have them....you can do a search here too...there was a thread on this before....I just don't know how to attach it.

reelecstasy
07-14-2005, 08:44 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=20040&highlight=breakaway+cannon

spence
07-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Use a piece of athletic tape, or better yet train your finger to take it. Make sure your drag doesn't slip if you're using heavy plugs.

-spence

jbapinoy
07-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys! I also found it on Cabela's and way pricey for that small thing and found some other sites that sells it for $15.93. I might go to the waterproof medical tape or maybe the leather gloves I have two fingers injured already with braid.

piemma
07-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Spence is right. I have developed a callous from casting Firelaine but if you must Johnson & Johnson Waterproof surgical tape works perfectly.

Iwannakeeper
07-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Found it on-line.

It is called a break-away cannon casting aid.

I will not post the link here, because the site I found it on a big sporting goods site and I like to recommend the sponsors.

If you cannot find it elsewhere - PM me and I will give you the link

-IWK

The Dad Fisherman
07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
If your talking spinning try these. I picked up a couple at the MSBA show and they work pissah.....and at a buck a pop you can't beat the price.

Casting Finger Guard (http://shop.thesurfcaster.com/cgi-bin/surfcast/RESA1.html)

Moses
07-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I use tape sometimes but find using an old golfing glove works great.

Bass Babe
07-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Michael Jackson must be a fisherman in disguise. Why else would he only wear one glove? :bl2:

partsjay
07-14-2005, 09:20 AM
I use water-proof tape.....works fine.

jbapinoy
07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I saw one in Ebay I don't know if I'm allowed to put the link but here's the product BREAKAWAY THUMB BUTTON FOR CASTING FIXED SPOOL REELS it sells for $2.39.

spence
07-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Are you throwing bait or plugs?

If you are throwing plugs, I'd suck it up and build some thicker skin. Much better in the long run.

-spence

Rappin Mikey
07-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but those things must add at least an extra few seconds between each cast. If your making a hundred or two casts a night/day that time adds up to a significant time not being in the strike zone. I think tape is the way to go.

jbapinoy
07-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm doing both Spence, I usually do the Plugs early morning and bait fishing usually before sunset. I might try the tape first before trying anything else.

Moses
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Michael Jackson must be a fisherman in disguise. Why else would he only wear one glove? :bl2:

First couple of times I did feel a bit, shall we say, self conscience. But this method is quick, easy and painless (ie sliceless). I opened up my finger a few times before and add the salt water in and it was painful.

Frankly, I don't care what I look like as long as it keeps me out their longer increasing my chance of catching fish. And doesn't slow me down at all. The golf glove is especially made for play in wet, rainy weather. A pair cost me about $15 and is entering my second season.

Squibby17
07-14-2005, 10:47 AM
When I was in Jamacia for spring break a few years ago my friend and I went out on a charter (it was actually more of a small skiff with wooden out riggers and wood clips to hold the line. Anyway we used HAND LINES. The guy gave us a small piece of rubber (probably a bicycle inner tube) to put on our fingers to prevent the line from digging into our fingers. We only got one fish and my friend caught it (small tuna, I would say a bonito but it looked a little different) A couple other guys we knew went out that day too and caught a bunch of fish and had no protection and their fingers were all banged up. I have since used a rubber sheath when I'm fishing the surf in October when its really cold and raw and it has helped tremendously.