View Full Version : Another meeting of the Minds(less)

JohnR
01-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Here is a thought:

We've had the Plug Building Simposium over at Slip's in December, but I got another idea here...

What if we were able to hold a "Reel Maintenance & Tuning" Session somewhere, would any of you be interested?

Tattoo
01-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Yeah, at CODDINGTON! :D

Canalratt1
01-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Yes! My 7000 needs a few tweaks and work on the level wind. Sticks to one side!

chris L
01-15-2002, 03:15 PM
canalrat
have you changed the pawl in your levelwind . This should be changed at least once a year as they wear out and will keep your levelwind piling up line on one side .

John Id be interested as I am no reel mechanic and would love to learn the proper way of disassembly and assembly of conventionals ( the dogs are a pain ) so I can change my drag washers and grease my reels myself . I also need one of them retainer clips that holds the bearings in on the Bg7000cl ( my daughters distracted me as I was removing it and boing it went and is now lost somewhere in my room ) . I havent checked around for one yet . But I need to learn .

bloocrab
01-15-2002, 03:30 PM
...I picked up a 7000CL this past season too....and would love to know how to properly "LOOOB" her up...etc...

...conventionals are new to me:smash:

...Sounds like a good idea...but it should be soon....

because....as it states below...

redcrbbr
01-15-2002, 04:26 PM
have a couple i threw into a tote that just didn't work anymore. might be a good time to tear em down and find out what went wrong. also have one or two that could definately use a little TLC. Sounds like a great idea John. Maybe have the meeting at HOOTERS on Superbowl Sunday;)

Slipknot
01-15-2002, 11:41 PM
YES, I'm willing to learn. cause I don't know crap(ask BM)

JohnR
01-16-2002, 01:38 PM
Without volunteering Slip, anyone know of a good place to hold this? I figure I can have about 10 people in my cellar (my wife will now proceed to kill me ;) )

Also want to get a couple "Experts" or at least higher end Reel guys or gals to chip in (hate to see someone trashing a reel on one of my recommendations).

And a list of how many people interested to help determine the "where". So far:
Slip
Rcrbbr
Bloo
ChrisL
C-ratt
Tattoo (if we hold it at the BrewPub :cheers: :smash: )

SeaWolf
01-16-2002, 02:27 PM
screw coddington....do the 'lady!

mikecc
01-16-2002, 02:49 PM
anybody needing parts for ABU or smooth drags I will supply at a discount for the session.

JohnR
01-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, well - that sounds pretty good Mike...

Seawolf - what's the "lady"?

bloocrab
01-16-2002, 03:47 PM
...John, I believe "the lady" is the second part....."Foxy" being the first.....eh Wolf..:D:D..HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL!!!

Clammer
01-16-2002, 08:58 PM
I,m droppihg mine off at Don;s
every time I work on something it becomes a throwaway:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Slipknot
01-18-2002, 07:55 PM
Anyone else have any ideas on this reel maintenence thing?

John, I don't mind doing it here or anywhere else if someone volunteers. My woodshed is open.:)

AnthonyN
01-18-2002, 08:46 PM
I live in an apartment so I wouldnt be able to help :-( But I can bring beers :-) if any of you guys drink...

mikecc
01-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Your welcome to use the shop.
I have plenty of freezers to work off of and the rod shop has plenty of benches.
I would have to be soon . we have all the new merchandice arriving from 2/15 on.:happy:
after that date would limit the working area.
:smash:
we would also have all the scmatics and parts at hand.
Mike

GBOUTDOORS
01-19-2002, 07:47 AM
I'm in some of my old reels could use some tlc.

JohnR
01-19-2002, 08:51 AM
I can use my basement with about 10 people working on 2 folding tables - obviously not all at the same time. Slip, you have more available space ;) . MikeCC - we'd run roughshod over your shop pretty quick I think - even with just 10 people, it would be tough, I do thank you for the offer. Although, I think the expertise of Reel Overhaul from you or a DonM would be pretty advantageous...

Speaking of the Reel Supertunability Factor - Anyone out there EXPERT at overhauling reels that would like to do a little mentoring for a day? I'm good enough to get everyone in trouble. I can do my own reels (usually) because I take a lot of time.

Thanks,

John