Taking the family out for some jiggin!
All family members are MSBA members!
Weight slips will be mailed out for club derby!!! :hidin:

BigFish
07-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Ron.....rules is rules....is tomorrow a commercial day? :hidin:

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2005, 10:39 PM
No person making a living from commercial fishing, including guides, party boat skippers, & crews, will be elegible to enter fish caught while working at their trade.
Entries will be accepted if the aforementioned are fishing privately for their own personal pleasure & not with a paying party.

You tell me!!!
I'll be getting LOTS of personal pleasure watching the family bringing in fish all day and I won't be charging them, or selling the fish!!! :hihi:

fishermom
07-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey BF...........

According to rule 24, he is ok if fishing for pleasure. If I'm reading that wrong, please correct me.

beamie
07-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Allot of clubs have this rule about a tourney fish not caught while comm or charter fishing. Never quite understood it though. As long as the person who hooked it lands it what is the problem. Who cares where the fish ends up after the fact.

What it boils down to is this. Most anglers are jealous that some of the comm/charter guys are better fisherman and therefore catch more fish. Therefore they curve the rules to there favor. The comm angler/charter guys just simply put in more time than most on the water and that is sometimes the only reason they catch more and maybe some are better. But still simply most jealously by one group over another.

Bake Mellow
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
What it boils down to is this. Most anglers are jealous that some of the comm/charter guys are better fisherman and therefore catch more fish.
Spoken like a true com. guy..... :rollem:

reelecstasy
07-18-2005, 10:41 AM
I do not agree it has anything to do with jealousy. Just as stated above, there are rules in place that do enable commercial guys to submit tourny fish.
RaiderRon, hope you and the family have a blast, go large :kewl:

The Dad Fisherman
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
I think that rule is more in place because during the Comm season they are allowed to take more than the 2 a day that the rest of us do. as longs as he sticks to the 2 a day 28" limit that should be fine.

He stated that he is fishing w/ his family as a rec guy. He seems like an Upstanding Guy....even though he IS a raider fan. Just as long as he fishes under the same regulations as the rest of us for the day he should be fine.

Every tournament has to have a level of trust. Who's to say that a guy that turned in a fish wasn't "culling" or didn't turn in a fish that his "Non-member" buddy he was fishing with caught. You can't, you just have to trust them.

Iwannakeeper
07-18-2005, 11:14 AM
I can confirm I saw Raider Ron yesterday ....with his family.....

Or some very short and thin adults - just kidding. Great to see you out there enjoying your family.

How did you do?

-IWK

beamie
07-18-2005, 12:49 PM
To simplify my statement. The weekend angler sometimes can't expect to outfish someone who fishes 5 days a week plus. Are the charter/comm guys better? Some are, The hardcore surf guys on some nites will out fish anyone. The comm/charter guy compared to the aveerage Joe keeps records, gets up early, fishes when the weather is not great ect. Hence more time fishing makes a better chance at getting your trophy. Not looking to start too much bashing etc.

reelecstasy
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
I'll take a striped one anyway I can get um :devil:
TDF's explanation is my understanding of it as well...

Either way, hope you went large Ron :musc:

BigFish
07-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Beamie....let me put it into simple terms for you. A commercial fisherman, on commercial days, is allowed to keep up to 30 fish at 36 inches or larger if I am correct. (Correct me if I am wrong but you will get the point). Why should a commercial fisherman, boat or surf, be allowed to deck or beach those 30 fish and then cull the large and weigh them in for tourneys???? It would not seem really fair would it to those recreational fisherman who have to make a decision to keep certain fish or release certain fish as they can't sit there with 30 in the box and pick the best. See what I mean Beamie? :cool:

Now....all that aside.....my explanation has nothing to do with Raider Ron....I hope he and his family had a blast and all went large! :claps:

You asked so I laid it out for you...this is all I have to say about it...they are the rules and by God they will be followed. :hihi:

Raider Ronnie
07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I only post this because I had planned to fish with my Wife and kids for some fun Yesterday!
Last year I had fish on NON commercial days that would have either won the derby or put me in the top 3!!!
But my buddy Larry told me they would NOT count! :nailem:

We got a late start yesterday, (Women take FOREVER to get ready to go somewhere !!! )
It was a slow day, but we all got keepers, but no bass worth weighing in ! (36 in. or over)
My daughter jigged and landed a nice blue that she got to weigh in for the juniors!
My wife jigged and caught her 1st ever keeper (she dosen't come fishing much)
My son Leo mated for the family, showing the others what to do, though he caught his 2 keepers for the day!!!
4 year old Matty caught a keeper also, with the help of his brother Leo!

BigFish
07-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Alright Ron here we go....you caught that fish on a commercial day....you yourself told me you were going comm fishing with Capt. Mike that day....sorry.......thems the rules. :tm:

Raider Ronnie
07-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Alright Ron here we go....you caught that fish on a commercial day....you yourself told me you were going comm fishing with Capt. Mike that day....sorry.......thems the rules. :tm:

Different day!!!

Plus if I don't sell any fish that day, whats the difference!
Every fish sold by a comm guy is tagged with that guys lic. # and we have to keep a catch report for every fish, or they don't renue the lic the next year!
so it would not be hard to prove!!!

BigFish
07-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I know you are but what am I? :rude:

beamie
07-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Larry,

Rules are rules and I have no problem with that rule. I just disagree. I can understand your point of the comm guy culling thru his thirty @ 34" plus. I just don't agree. Or how about the guy captaining a charter and the Capt happens to be holding the rod and hooks up to his trophy, he is not culling thru 30.

BTW only a very small amount of comm guys get 30.

The reason I disagree is this. If a guy was fishing for his MSBA annual or monthly fish and had up to date knowledge that say third place was 32 pounds then that gives him knowledge to cull thru the catch. Of course the website doesn't get updated often enough. Last update was June 30 I believe.

Many of the comm/chater guys I know teach school and can put in allot of hours, what a great job for a fisherman.....what's next teachers not allowed.?

So hope you see my points as I see yours.

beamie
07-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately rules like this make the situation worst amongst various club members. i.e. if Ron did catch his "cocka" last Sunday. on a comm day....although he wasn't fishing commercially. Then some may second guess and ask Ron what he did with his keepers that day. This creates lots of pissing and moaning.

BigFish
07-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Beamie...you are wrong across the board as you do not know the MSBA rules. I know them inside out and backwards as I have had to! Ron does not even know the rules because he does not know that the junior division fish are eligible at 28 inches. You, him and everyone else never bother to read the rules....most people don't. Charter boat Captains are excluded Beamie if they weigh in a fish from a charter while working.....its in the rules. Ya ought to check them out before you start throwing your disagreements around....besides....you can't disagree with the rules. They are what they are....rules! You can not like them but you can't disagree with them. :cool:

Raider Ronnie
07-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Beamie...you are wrong across the board as you do not know the MSBA rules. I know them inside out and backwards as I have had to! Ron does not even know the rules because he does not know that the junior division fish are eligible at 28 inches. You, him and everyone else never bother to read the rules....most people don't. Charter boat Captains are excluded Beamie if they weigh in a fish from a charter while working.....its in the rules. Ya ought to check them out before you start throwing your disagreements around....besides....you can't disagree with the rules. They are what they are....rules! You can not like them but you can't disagree with them. :cool:

Larry,
I know the rules, as I have read them Many times!!!
I know the juniors can weigh in a 28in fish,
But I don't consider a 28in fish a keeper!!!
I think the legal limit should be 34 for everyone, (rec & com )

beamie
07-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Larry,

If you slow down and actually read my words I agree rules are rules, nothing to argue. Charter captains you say are excluded...., that's what my post refers to when I say they should be included.....................

After reading your post again....I "dislike" the rules instead of "disagreeing".....if that clears it up.

Raider Ronnie
07-18-2005, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=beamie]Larry,

If you slow down and actually read my words I agree rules are rules, nothing to argue.

Jon,
Don't you know? "Argue" is Larry's middle name!!!
:hihi:

BigFish
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
:lurk:

Nebe
07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Beer... check :cheers:

smoke.... check :smokin:

popcorn........... check : :lurk:.............. bigfish pass the poi :yak5:

BigFish
07-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Poi is gone.....how bout' some pizza? :poke:

Raider Ronnie
07-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I think this argument about cullin is stupid!!!
If you want to get a fish to weigh in, you will be targeting size (lbs)
Not the number of fish you get!!!
I've been out days this year when we were looking for fish 40lbs and up,
and kept releasing fish 20 - 25 lbs all day long !!!
Recreational guys can do the same thing if they want to put the time in!!!

fishermom
07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
OK kids...........let's not get into a p&%$@ing match over this. When I get a questionable slip sent in, I review it with the e-board. Like someone said, anyone can cheat. Shame on anyone who does, they have to live with themselves. We like to think that this great group of MSBA fishermen and women, AKA VOLUNTEERS, are not cheaters. And Beamie, the reason the standings have not been updated since June 30 is because there have been no updates!! As I have said before, as changes come, especially if they are significant ones, they will be posted. No update means no new entries!! I do have 3 slips in todays mail but after a 12 hour day, I am not in the mood. So, hopefully this will be the end of this thread. Now get out there and fish and send me some slips!!!!

beamie
07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Done

CAL
07-18-2005, 10:31 PM
I think this argument about cullin is stupid!!!
If you want to get a fish to weigh in, you will be targeting size (lbs)
Not the number of fish you get!!!

Yeah but if you able to fish as a comm. you can get a 35 and keep it, get a 38 and keep it, get a 41 and keep it and get a 43 and keep it and so on and so on.

The rec gets a 35 and keeps it, now he has to decide whether to keep that 40 he gets or toss it and hope for larger or that his 35 holds up. He only gets one chance to make that choice. The guy fishing commercially would get 29 chances.

RR- I know I quoted you but this is more aimed at Beamie as he seems to think the recs are just jealous of the comms.

Raider Ronnie
07-19-2005, 03:59 AM
Yeah but if you able to fish as a comm. you can get a 35 and keep it, get a 38 and keep it, get a 41 and keep it and get a 43 and keep it and so on and so on.

The rec gets a 35 and keeps it, now he has to decide whether to keep that 40 he gets or toss it and hope for larger or that his 35 holds up. He only gets one chance to make that choice. The guy fishing commercially would get 29 chances.

RR- I know I quoted you but this is more aimed at Beamie as he seems to think the recs are just jealous of the comms.

My point is not about the number of chances you get.
Right now you would need a fish over 52lbs from surf, over 39lbs from boat!
If you want to get on the board or in the lead for the club, why would you keep any fish smaller than one of those sizes!
Just keep releasing fish till you get a 53lb fish from surf or a 40 from a boat!!!

As for the jealousy thing,
I'm not saying I agree with that or not, It all comes down to putting time in, and someone who puts more time in will obviously catch more fish!!! I put atleast 300 hrs on my boat a year, most boat guys who fish don't put a 100 hrs on their boat in a year!!!
But when it comes to surf guys to boat guys, I DO think there is a LOT of jealousy !!! It all comes down to $$$$$$$

JohnR
07-19-2005, 07:05 AM
I think it is an issue of leveling the playing field as much as possible. If guy A is commercial fishing, he has the opportunity to keep the 30 odd fish and select one to weigh in, the recreational angler has the opportunity to catch two. This is not a level playing field.

zacs
07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
My point is not about the number of chances you get.
Right now you would need a fish over 52lbs from surf, over 39lbs from boat!
If you want to get on the board or in the lead for the club, why would you keep any fish smaller than one of those sizes!
Just keep releasing fish till you get a 53lb fish from surf or a 40 from a boat!!!

Listen to yourself. Then consider this situation. Say I am fishing [rec] from my boat and I catch a 40. Obviously I keep it. WOOHOO!!!! Now I jig up a 41. Tough decission. Keep or go for something bigger to really seal the deal. What do I do? You are not faced with that decission as a Comm. Period. You keep that fish, and then you catch & keep a 42, and then a 43, and the next 26 more fish you get. ITS NOT FAIR. You have an advantage.

I'm not even in your club, but from an outsider's prespective, the reason for the rule is totally obvious.

_Z_