View Full Version : Eel Man In The News

tattoobob
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Check out the ProJo http://www.projo.com/fishing/content//projo_20050717_17outnote.2207e56.html
Tom Meade

Bill I just got done reading it great read, You the man :claps:

BigFish
07-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Whenever you guys put that link up all I ever get is a subscription info link! :tm:

tattoobob
07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
All you have to do is fill out the form
It is free.

Homerun04
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
:claps: :claps:

Nebe
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
thats the smallest 53 lber i have ever seen :buds:

eelman
07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
thats the smallest 53 lber i have ever seen :buds:
Oh No, not again! Thats it I wont respond mouth shut!!!

Nebe
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh No, not again! Thats it I wont respong mouth shut!!!

gotcha :hihi:

5/0
07-19-2005, 04:19 PM
When was that caught.... :poke:

Slingah
07-19-2005, 04:23 PM
anybody know how to post that article????
I aint fillin that thing out....it'll bombard me with junk

eelman
07-19-2005, 04:24 PM
anybody know how to post that article????
I aint fillin that thing out....it'll bombard me with junk

Outdoor Notes by Tom Meade: 'Eel Man' undaunted by storms; catches stripers before and after

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tropical-storm season may keep some fishermen indoors, but not Bill "Eel Man" Nolan. Almost nothing keeps the 40-year-old Warwick resident away from the beach at night. Since May 23, he has missed two nights in the surf.

"It's an addiction," he says. "And it's not just catching fish that I'm addicted to; It's the night, the hit -- everything."

Tropical storms? Nolan loves them.

"The fishing is better before a storm and right at the beginning," he says. "And it's tremendous afterwards. When you have a couple days of northeast wind followed by a clearing wind out of the southwest, fishing explodes."

Nolan is strictly a surf fisherman, and he uses eels almost exclusively. Thus, his nickname. Occasionally, in the autumn, he may cast an artificial lure, but those times are rare. He does concede, however, that his fishing partner, Steve McKenna, catches a lot of big bass on Slug-Go soft-plastic lures. Then Nolan adds, "but Slug-Gos really look like eels."

Nolan prefers large eels impaled on a No. 6 Mustad 94150 hook. He stuns the eel before casting so it won't curl around the leader, fouling the line.

Following a tropical storm, it takes only a couple of tide changes with a clearing wind to bring stripers back to the beach in a feeding mood.

After a storm passes, Nolan says, "I prefer Narragansett, from the short wall in Galilee all the way to the Narrow River. The lighthouse, the Sheeps Pen -- all the traditional spots are good."

Nolan generally prefers the last hour before a high tide and the first two hours afterward, but, he says, "I never let tide keep me home. Fish don't know about these (theories). If you don't have your line in the water, you're not going to catch fish."

Nolan casts a stiff, 9-foot rod with a conventional reel. His line is 20-pound monofilament with an 8-foot fluorocarbon leader. "I really like the Orvis Mirage leader material," he says. "My hook-up rate has increased with it, and it's more abrasion-resistant (than standard monofilament line), which is important because I like to fish around rocks." Because his conventional rig resists line twisting, he doesn't need a swivel to join the line and leader. A simple Albright knot does the trick. "If you're using spinning gear," he says, "you do need a swivel."

Nolan uses strong line and a stout rod because he releases most of his fish. "I don't believe in light tackle," he says. "I want to get a fish in and off the hook as fast as possible. It's fighting for its life. Same with a fish I'm going to keep: I want it in fast."

After we spoke Friday, Nolan sent this e-mail:

"This is by far one of the best seasons I have ever had. I have 22 fish over the 20-pound mark and that's since May 23. Four of those fish are 30 pounds-plus. So it's a great year for anyone new at surf-casting for stripers to get out there and fish."

Sweetwater
07-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Nolan prefers large eels impaled on a No. 6 Mustad 94150 hook. He stuns the eel before casting so it won't curl around the leader, fouling the line.

Not to bring up a sore subject...but okay okay already! I'll start bashing my eels maybe half-to-death, and maybe I'll get that fifty!
:p

Just kidding #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&...yer cool in my book!

fishaholic18
07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Nice Bill.. :claps:
How long was that cow?
Just curious..

JohnR
07-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Nice Bill.. :claps:
How long was that cow?
Just curious..

It was 48.5 inches and had a just shy of 30 inch girth. The thing would not completely fit in an Igloo 196qt cooler so the tail from the skinny part was bent up - also why it looks small... I remember, I took the picture...

fishaholic18
07-20-2005, 05:13 AM
It was 48.5 inches and had a just shy of 30 inch girth. The thing would not completely fit in an Igloo 196qt cooler so the tail from the skinny part was bent up - also why it looks small... I remember, I took the picture...
Nice fish.

striperboy3754
07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice Fish......... A couple days ago I caught two stripers in wareham but they were 15 and 20 inches.

rhodyfish
07-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Say what you will but the #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is definatly one of the best surf fisherman there is. The man is magic with a live eel!! And most of the top names know this........ :wavey: