View Full Version : sealer question

jomlt9@AOL.COM
07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
I made a few plugs and one cracked i used 2 coats oil base primmer / rattle can / 2 coats e-tex I wanna learn how to seal them from water i was think of linseed / min spirts 60 / 40 . QUESTION 1 I understand about the rags was wondering how can the rags ignight but the plugs that u dip dont ? QUESTION 2 How about the minwax does that work as good its safer? iF so how many coats and will my oil base primer stick to it , how long do u dip minwax and how long to dry before paint all my plugs i wanna make are gonna have grommets need some help from u guys i posted some poopers i made learned it all from rhis forum :behead: :buds:

afterhours
07-19-2005, 06:43 PM
always seal. go ahead and use linseed or val-oil- just be careful with wipe rags, store them in a sealed can. not sure why they can go up in flames ( maybe fast rate of evaporation?)but i've heard of it happening.

jomlt9@AOL.COM
07-19-2005, 07:05 PM
arterhours why do the rags ignight but the plugs don't and how long till u can paint whats the drying time :tm:

BigFish
07-19-2005, 07:08 PM
My guess is the rags...all folded up and such....begin to dry and the linseed and spirits generates heat as it does so....kind of like the 5 minute Devcon epoxy (if you have ever used that) as it cures it generates heat and where the heat in the rags is generating hotter as it is folded unto itself....increased heat and fire! :hihi:

Basically it is a chemical reaction taking place.....the wood is more stable than the rags....relate the two to tinder when you try to start a fire as opposed to a solid block of wood.

jomlt9@AOL.COM
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
larry is the dip time like 30 sec and how long do u let it dry for a weekor so?

BigFish
07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I soak mine for one minute and let dry for 5 days before priming. Remember everyone does things differently.....this is my way and it works....no cracks or splits so far. :cool: Make sure you wipe off all excess after dipping....put the used rags in a paint can like you buy at Homies with the closeable lid.

Have not forgotten your plug...going out tomorrow I hope...just busy. :poke:

jomlt9@AOL.COM
07-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks Larry still c/k my mail box like a kid at a candy store :hidin:

BigFish
07-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I will let you know when it ships. :shocked:

jomlt9@AOL.COM
07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
good man larry on the sealing after i dip just let drip then wipe? HOW LONG AFTER DIPPING 1 HOUR ? 2? 3?

BigFish
07-19-2005, 09:12 PM
As soon as you remove it from the dip...wipe the excess off right then. Then hang dry for 5 days. :cool:

jomlt9@AOL.COM
07-19-2005, 09:13 PM
:claps: thanks