View Full Version : Polaris VS Pencil

partsjay
07-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Here's a question for you guys and girls.....Seeing as how I am a Popperholic...I love them, how I do alot of my fishing,....if you had to pick one, which would it be?....which one do you think would you think you had a better chance of going large on?.....what color?

I have done most of my damage over the years with polaris...green mack. I have one that has lots of MOJO on it.

jeffsod
07-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Both are really good plugs each with their own applications. I never leave home without a polaris in my bag as it has taken many quality fish. The largest fish I can recall on a polaris though was 24lbs and my largest on a pencil was 36 &1/2lbs 48" from the canal.

afterhours
07-21-2005, 08:31 AM
i can't pick one- both are great. being a topwater kinda guy i need to have both with me at all times. the polaris is great when i want to "call up" fish and the pencil is better at "seducing" them. favorite colors are yellows and whites.

mike06512
07-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Gotta have both, but if I had to choose only 1 it would be the pencil, due to its versatility. You can work it frantically on top, walk-it side to side, slowly snake it through the water. It's also very aerodynamic to cut the wind..

Rappin Mikey
07-21-2005, 09:07 AM
I wood have to say a pencil popper. My favorite is a yellow George Carlson.

Nebe
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
i'll take the popper. reason being i always have about 6 needles in my bag and i can cast them just as far as a pencil and I can work them in just the same way. but then agian i havne tused a popper once this year :hihi:

reelecstasy
07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
just one plug to fish with, probably would have to go with a pencil, no a popper, wait a pencil, eh fine, a popper

ThrowingTimber
07-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Pencil as a search tool. Popper to zero in.

So yeah ummm half a dozen of both please :hihi:

He who dies with the most plugs wins!! :wavey:

Flaptail
07-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Stan Gibbs developed the Pencil Popper and the Polaris for the canal. Both cast very well but the Pencil was for moving water and the Polaris was designed for use at almost slack, slack water and as it stareted to creep east. A retinue that still works as designed.

whiplash
07-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Can't fish without at least two in my bag a yellow and a white . Best fish a double header 2 30" bass on a dawn east current in the canal one on the tail hook the other on the belly hook. Love them polaris.

Rob Rockcrawler
07-21-2005, 10:38 AM
id have to pick a big yellow pencil its what i start with evertime im pluggin on top. a white spookester is close to a pencil sorta and thats now always in my bag as well.

Slingah
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
pencil for me.....

Christian
07-21-2005, 05:31 PM
pencil definitly. its my search and destroy lure. cause i can walk and keep the plug moving, and looking natural. i like to pause poppers, si i cant do that if im always moving.
after the search part was done i use the polaris to destroy.