View Full Version : I'm cursed

basswipe
07-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Well Crafty and company you shoulda stuck around and watch how a "pro" loses one!I could've given Indiana step by step instructions on how to lose a cow.

As you were pulling out of the parking lot I took a walk down to the right around the point.On the 5th or so cast I hooked into a fish that easily went 25-30lbs no bull.Two big runs then nuthin!!!

For the next 1/2hr LARGE fish continued to break around me and I had several hit plugs but couldn't hook another and then about 11:15 it was like someone hit a lightswitch the action just ceased.

This is the 4th time in the last month I've lost fish over 20lbs.No matter how careful I try to be I just can't keep the decent fish on the hook.

I'm freakin' cursed I tell ya. :behead:

In The Surf
07-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Make sure your hooks are sharp for good penetration and resharpen them after catching fish and fishing around the rocks also recheck and adjust your drag after changing plugs, eels and catching fish. This should reduce the likelyhhod of dropped fish. Hang in there, the one with your name on it is still out there. I gotta get back over there myself, got into good fish two of my three nights out there.

Pt.JudeJoe
07-21-2005, 11:54 PM
:cool: Sometimes you get the bear....and sometimes the bear gets you. No worries mate,tomorrow's another day.

Crafty Angler
07-22-2005, 06:11 AM
Geez, BW....I feel your pain -

Yup, when we were walking out I said "If we hang out longer, we'll probably get into fish..." but I had an early AM client meeting that I'm getting ready for now.

You know, this work crap is really starting to interfere with my fishing schedule...:hs:

Don't think I told ya but I got a 22# Tuesday nite on an eel, so it looks like it's starting to pick up a little anyway - glad to hear they're showing again for you - but you might want to swap out those Mambo hooks for VMC's if you haven't already.

basswipe
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Didn't expect to see the huge swirls in the water when I turned the corner.At the time the moon was behind that long skinny bank of clouds.The activity seemed to coincide with the cloud cover.The tide was also very high and outgoing.

It was July 14th last year when I got a 24lber in the same spot on a blurple bomber.

Changing the factory hooks to VMCs is a damn fine idea.I never thought that the factory hooks might be the problem.Its not the 1st big'un I lost on a mambo.I've no desire to go anywhere near Newport today so I'll transplant from another plug temporarily.

basswipe
07-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Was able to land two borderline keepers lastnight.Still ended up losing a larger fish though.Overall though I'd say lastnight was a good night.The action was pretty steady from sundown on.By 10:30 that lightning was a little to close for comfort so we called it quits.

My G/F hung in there like a trooper I just wish she had been able to catch one lastnight.Its been quite sometime since she caught her first.

Changing the hooks was the way to go Crafty.

Crafty Angler
07-23-2005, 07:56 AM
:cheers:

ThrowingTimber
07-23-2005, 07:59 AM
I think its sofa king awesome that you've been getting into good fish consistantly! :claps: Change them hooks and you'll be on the war path!!!!!!!!!!!

basswipe
07-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I've been getting into them just been having a hard time keeping them on.

Hopefully the fish stick around for awhile at the spot I've been fishing.They never seem to stay to long there.