View Full Version : Listening to CG SAR this morning...

Mr. Sandman
07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
On 22 this morning some guy got a gaff embedded in the face and the CG was doing the basket rescue. That has got to hurt.

likwid
07-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Ahhh, how I love the current breed of boaters.
They always provide non-stop entertainment on the VHF.

fishaholic18
07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
A Gaff in the face is entertainment? :behead:
Just be glad it didn't happen to you...Wouldn't be funny then. :nailem:
The stupid remarks people make always amaze me.

Hope the guys OK.

Homerun04
07-22-2005, 02:35 PM
ouch.....capital OUCH...........hope he is alright.....gonna leave a nasty scar..... :(

LT. DAN 2
07-22-2005, 04:02 PM
We were out in BB and could only hear 1/2 the Coast Guard conversation..later I learned it was 80 Mi. South of Martha Vineyard? The CG had asked for any medical Assistance available in the area prior to their involvement. I guess no Dr's in the House in the area??? Hope he's O.K.? Will not hear it on the local news...not after that Great Shark story last night.

bassmaster
07-22-2005, 04:44 PM
wow that sucks, must have been thrashing fish

Mr. Sandman
07-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Lt. Dan, that's right I could not hear the boat in trouble. I picked up the call when the choppers eta was 20 mins away...all I said it to my son was "that guy is way out there with a big tuna gaff in his face, jezzz, talk about a problem" The CG base station must have a kick ass radio or be on ssb because the chopper was asking to relay info back and forth. Last I hear he was transported to Cape Cod Hospital.

(THIS is one of those times when you call the CG for help)

I don't know exactly how the hell one gets a gaff in the face but i guess it it possible. I would be po'ed at the guy holding the gaff when it happened. :behead:

MakoMike
07-22-2005, 08:42 PM
It seems more than likely to me that he was holding the gaff when it happened?

Homerun04
07-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Possibly a flying gaff that came out...........??

BigBo
07-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Ahhh, how I love the current breed of boaters.
They always provide non-stop entertainment on the VHF.
Kind of an irresponsible comment to make don't you think?

likwid
07-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Kind of an irresponsible comment to make don't you think?

And how many of you that go "offshore" actually carry a med kit capable of handling the type of injuries that can be incurred from big fish? And if you do, do you know how to use it properly? Can you stabilize a victim that get bashed by say a decent shark in the cockpit and takes a 5" to the bone gash in the leg at the very least? Half the battle if being able to handle injuries that COULD happen. Not panicing about them WHEN they happen. Any boat that goes out should have the med supplies capable of stabilizing a victim of injury enough that they can run them closer to land and meet the CG en route.

Nevermind a med kit, how many carry a pair of pliers that can cut any hook you carry?

BigBo
07-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Well, at the risk of starting something, which I really do not intend, I still find it an irresponsible comment. It seems from many of your previous posts, that you tend to generalize everyone on the water; There's the general boating population, which includes most of us that hit the water for recreational fishing and boating. True, this group includes many "googans" (to borrow a phrase from the fishing community) that possibly have no business being on the water and at the very least, need to take a boating safety course. Then there's you and your sailing buddies with far superior and vast years of experience (you're in your late 20's early 30's maybe?) and knowledge of everything on the water.
Now before we get into a pissing contest about experience and preparedness for going offshore, inshore, whatever, I would just suggest that you don't generalize boaters into groups without knowing them or their particular circumstances.
I have no doubt from both reading your posts and from the conversation we had that you do infact have much experience on the water so that is not in question. There are people (you for one based on what you have told me and me as well from time to time) with much experience that venture out in a small skiff with little more than the basic safety equipment. But, as soon as they get in a bit of trouble, it seems you berate them for having no business being on the water in the first place. Well, they too are exercizing their American freedoms to enjoy this recreational pastime like everyone else.
Please, do not take this the wrong way. Again, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, just trying to stress that maybe you could use that knowledge that you've gained on the water in a more useful, constructive, and helpful way buy helping others with less experience.
Rock on my friend. :wave:

nightfighter
07-23-2005, 07:02 AM
Gotta agree with Bo here Likwid,,, constructive comments delivered with a little diplomacy and sugar make the world and water a better place. If you searched past threads on things like first aid you might recall that there are more than a few here with offshore miles under their belts. And chit still happens... to wit, while delivering a Frers 41 from Marion to Marblehead last week, I found a rock. Stopped 8 tons DEAD. Where you ask? 2 1/2 from the turn of a foul current, north side, 3 boat lengths off the wall, in the middle of the CANAL! Rattled my cage for a bit.....

B-assman
07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
I was moored in menemsha harbor when the boat came in. The CG guys were waiting for it at the dock - 4 guys with clip boards went over that boat from stem to stern. I hadn't heard the VHF chatter - but had heard the scuttlebutt around the docks. I was surprised by the look of the boat. It looked like a large commercial lobster boat - but it was rigged up with rods and reels.

LT. DAN 2
07-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Sandman...based on your long/lat location was there anything news in the papers on MV? Nothing here on the mainland..

reelecstasy
07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
that'll leave a mark