View Full Version : wireless internet tapper

Katie
07-24-2005, 12:03 PM
okay, so i woke up this morning, went on the computer to find that theres this strange little message popping up, thats saying that there are conflicts between ip addresses, now we have wireless internet and so do our neighbors but we talked to them, and they said they didn't tap into our internet.. but anyone got any idea on how to find out what the heck is going on here?

thanks
-k

Jonny5-22796
07-27-2005, 03:25 PM
If I was your neighbor and you did not secure your wifi connection I would tap in too, and deny it. The only thing you can do is secure your wifi. To do this, log in to your router { get the instruction manual and open an internet window - find out what your router ip is ie: http://192.168.0.1 ? - The default login is admin with no password probably, look in your instruction manual if not. Look for a security panel or WEP panel. Make a network ID using wep with a 64 bit encryption (128 is not needed for residential use ) and set your network id to a 10 digit number ie: 1234567891 }

To access your wifi connection someone would have to know this network id number, thus securing it.

Good luck!

PS: I was having a bad day a couple weeks ago, so I logged into my a-hole neighbors wifi router and changed his settings so that he could not access anything including his own internet connection. I love setting MAC address restrictions.... Made me feel better - I did change it back after a couple days

Homerun04
07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
PS: I was having a bad day a couple weeks ago, so I logged into my a-hole neighbors wifi router and changed his settings so that he could not access anything including his own internet connection. I love setting MAC address restrictions.... Made me feel better - I did change it back after a couple days Funny.....but be careful because recent legal decisions have been made that center around just this kind of activity, and some opinions in courtrooms are that this is "break-in and entering" area......some judges are leaning sympathetic to this position. I wouyldn't do it again if I were you....but that's just me.

basswipe
07-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Funny.....but be careful because recent legal decisions have been made that center around just this kind of activity, and some opinions in courtrooms are that this is "break-in and entering" area......some judges are leaning sympathetic to this position. I wouyldn't do it again if I were you....but that's just me.

He shouldn't have done it a 1st time.Its a felony.

basswipe
07-27-2005, 05:29 PM
PS: I was having a bad day a couple weeks ago, so I logged into my a-hole neighbors wifi router and changed his settings so that he could not access anything including his own internet connection. I love setting MAC address restrictions.... Made me feel better - I did change it back after a couple days

Jeezusss.

You might have a ton of computer geek know-how but not much in the way of common sense.You just admitted to the entire World Wide Web that you tampered with your neighbors computer network. :fishslap:

Homerun04
07-27-2005, 05:30 PM
He shouldn't have done it a 1st time.Its a felony. Yes, I agree. Just wasn't trying to scare him too much........... :poke:

lurch
07-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Secure your wireless connection with passwords and shut of SSID broadcast which will keep windows from seeing your router.

Jonny5-22796
07-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Hehe, just wanted to give a personal example to maybe "scare" Katie into securing her connection, hey, if she is reading this right now I will come by and secure it for free. I am not sure about the current laws surrounding personal RF, but the fact that basically anywhere you go, even remote areas on the cape, and have access to an unsecured wireless internet connection is scary. Mark my words, the next major computer virus is going to be widespread released on someones unsecured wifi network.

Its the responsability of all the techincal savvy to offer their personal skills to secure the wifi connections of the less computer-fluent. If anyone wants help securing there's, pm me and I will personally come over and do it, if your more than 10 miles away a plug would be nice :hihi:

Jonny5-22796
07-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Oh, and I am more worried about getting caught for the software that I have cracked and released - OOPS :behead:

NO PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope.... :gorez: