View Full Version : Anyone see the lightning at the canal on friday?

Rob Rockcrawler
07-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Fished the ditch for a few hours on friday and it was the greatest lightning show i have ever seen. I packed it in and just watched from my truck, couldnt believe how many people were out fishing until it was right on them. I was watching the news the next day wondering if anyone got hit. A few strikes hit within a few hundred yards of my truck. Gorgeous display but no fish to disply at all, got the skunk but a cool night. Saw one bolt that looked like it hit the sagamore bridge.

Bronko
07-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I was at a certain backside beach. It was like nothing I have ever seen before. About a dozen times, it was a bright as day. Impressive stuff.

BrianS
07-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I was out in narraganset, and yes.. it was pretty intense.

We had the added treat of a laser/fireworks show just before the lightning began

Heat lightning surrounding a full moon is quite cool.

Mike P
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
People seem to suffer from the mis-impression that because they're down below the service road and the trees, they're safe from lightning at the Canal. They're not---lightning can travel laterally over the ground once it hits.

When I was a kid, my dad'd often drive down to the Maritime Academy during a storm so we could watch lightning strike the RR bridge.

Saltheart
07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
We were on 25 heading home looking first out at it then into it when it hit. nice light show.

A guy I worked with was just killed in Maine by a lightning strike while fishing fresh water from a boat about a month ago.

partsjay
07-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I wasn't at the canal, but watched it from my porch....was insane!!!

striperboy3754
07-26-2005, 07:05 AM
I was comeing back from the paw sox and it was bright

outfished
07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
I saw it from Pt. Judith while fishing one of my spots and the lightning literally swung around me but never was actually over me. What a show it was as I watched the storm head over towards Newport and beyond followed by the reddest moonrise I've ever seen, 50 knot wind gusts and fireworks being shot off onshore. What a show! :claps:

Saltheart
07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Thta's right , I had forgotten about that big red moon that night. That was cool too.

t.orlando
07-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Had a severe lightning storm go over me at the canal in the spring. Saw it strike a pole across from me as I was hiding out. First time I've seen it strike. Fishing was good immediatly after it was safe to do so.