View Full Version : Unbelievable Sight at Sea Yesterday

Van
07-27-2005, 08:45 AM
A buddy and I boat fished all day yesterday, from the NW corner of Stellwagon and back inside (Outer Boston Harbor). Around 3PM, near shore (2-3 miles) we see a coast guard copter nearby, this sucker came right by us about 200' in the air !!!!

We could not figure out what he was doing circling all around, dropping just off the surface and throwing spray like mad. Kept on moving around.

Then he stopped about 1/4 mile in front of us as we were trolling straight toward that spot. Dropped really low and out jumped a diver. He stayed there hovering for a over an hour total. A coastie boat was nearby too.

Then we say,,, what the hell are they were doing there? Then they dropped a sling down to the diver and brought up a.... (well lets just say it was a "recovery" mission).

Wildest thing I ever seen out there. But we reflected on the loss of life and realized this is a serious matter. I posted some pics here, BUT NOT THE ONES OF THE ACTUAL RECOVERED ITEM (family friendly site).Pics are of the diver and the sling... I searched the papers and watched the news, but heard and saw nothing.

If anyone did hear about this let me know.

Team Rock On
07-27-2005, 09:02 AM
In also saw the incident but thought it was a training exercise. There were 2 CC boats in the same area about 4 hours earlier, and I was so close I pulled up my lines and moved out of the way. On the way in I saw something dangling from the copter but couldn't make out what it was. Let's hope it was a training exercise.

Van
07-27-2005, 09:05 AM
We thought so too, but they pulled up a number of items after they pulled up the "recovered" If I posted the pics you would know for sure. We were pretty close. But the pics are kind of nasty....

Raven
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
mighty white of ya. :shocked:

Water Treater
07-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a training exercise. I've seen it several times, most recently in early July off Race Point at Provincetown. Bad for fishing.

Van
07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I've been discussing this with some boaters here at work, they agree that the location was very near a main passage for commuter boats and other boats, and there are always lots of fishing boats in that area. I just doesn't add up to be training in a spot like that. And the thing they brought up sure as sh, did not look like a mannequin. Plus why did they bring up other stuff (debris) or whatever?

S-Journey
07-27-2005, 01:57 PM
It was a training exercise - confirmed by Coast Guard group Point Allerton - 781 925-0166

Bonefish
07-27-2005, 03:07 PM
VAN- Since it is confirmed that it was a training exercise why don't you post the other pic's?

Van
07-27-2005, 03:14 PM
It was a training exercise - confirmed by Coast Guard group Point Allerton - 781 925-0166

OK, then mystery solved.

Bonefish wanted a pic. You decide......

RIROCKHOUND
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Thats OSCAR;
They have a life size and weight dummy they dress in blue coveralls; we pull him from the water as part of MOB drills during our CG spring inspection at work...

Looks pretty real from a distance :D

BasicPatrick
07-28-2005, 12:34 AM
I saw the cutter and two whirly birds off Nantasket Beach the mother day as I was shoting home...I turned on the radio but didn't hear anything...T4raining makes sense