View Full Version : Heading out of Sesuit Harbor

RRsafety
07-29-2005, 06:01 AM
I'm heading out of Sesuit Harbor on the Cape this week on a 31 footer with a fine Captain. Any suggestions/advice as to what to look for and what to use? Thanks.

Homerun04
07-29-2005, 06:31 AM
Yeah....be careful....supposed to be very high and rough seas this weekend off the Cape....I'd think twice about it if I were you....

Flaptail
07-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Actually Sesuit being in Cape Cod Bay will have no affects of Franklin's offshore to onshore swells being in the lee of the outer shore. If you go north to the race and around the corner you will feel them but if the wind is down and you stay offshore you will mostly just be slowly heaving up and down. Greasy swells are what the old Cape Codders call 'em. That being said and the weather prediction being winds at 5 to 10 Northeast you should do alright if you stick to Billingsgate Shoals and troll tubes and worms, Bunker spoons or jig with green, black, dark blue on wire. ( Umbrellas are working too but they can be a pain in the ass with so many hooks, black tubes on the umbrella are working) Brewster flats has fish to sight cast too though a 30 footer might be a tad heavy below the water line to get into reall shallow water.

capecodder
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
RR,
Thats a great area to be fishing, was down there last week. If you have a Captain who knows the area, you should find fish. The SW corner of Billingsgate is about 4 miles north of Sesuit Harbor. Likely the number of boats will remind you of rush hour around Boston.

To find the bass on the shoal, you'll need to get deep which means wire with jigs or umbrellas. Spoons and tubes as well. The charter guys typically are jigging 2 lines, you'll see them.

I was there last week and despite nearly every boat from Kingston to Wellfleet being there, few fish were caught. The dogs are everywhere which killed our attempts to liveline eels deep. Really frustrating to repeatedly bring in 300 ft of wire for a dog or a skate...

The shoreline from Sesuit West towards Barnstable should hold some fish as well and will be less crowded. The Race is a good spot, but will be exposed to the ocean swells mentioned before.

Enjoy, its a beautiful area.

Hooper
07-29-2005, 08:50 AM
I was there last weekend too. The three of us got our limit in about 90 minutes, Just jig, leave the bait alone. There's a million shorts out there too.

justplugit
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
How did Hooper do.:huh: :D

RRsafety
07-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the great info...I'll let you know how it goes!!!!!