View Full Version : North River Fluke??

Edge Sportfish
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
..anyone ever catch them there? I don't ever remember them North of the Canal years ago, but Slingah and I caught a couple of them today on jigs along with a handful of schoolies.

beamie
07-31-2005, 07:18 PM
I homeport there and have never done it myself but have wanted to try. But yes people do fluke there, usually in Aug. I'm sure not as good as Ply area or the cape but you can get dinner. Preferable a weekday so you can drift the channel w/o too much traffic.

BigBo
07-31-2005, 09:44 PM
If ya got access to a boat, they can be jigged up at the outflows of the estuaries like the end of the Herring River, along in front of the sand spit, etc. Fish the outgoing. Seems to work better for me. :drool:

Elmo
08-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Speaking of the Plymouth/Duxbury bay area, anyone know of any specific spots for fluke or best methods to catch them? Took the family and some seaworm out in the bay last weekend and only found skates, about 15 of them! Thanks

hq2
08-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I think you might have done better with mummichogs. You can get them at Baymen Outfitters
if you call ahead of time.

fishsmith
08-03-2005, 08:04 AM
mumichugs - throw a minnow trap in any esturary with salami as bait.
how much do you pay for duxbury minnows? are they more expensive for out of towners?

S-Journey
08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Yes, there are a few spots outside the river that produce well at times. I catch them from Humarock beach every now and then when I get lazy and throw out a clam from the beach chair :-0 Never heard of em in the river though?

rivertider
08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
yes, they are there in august, flounder rigs did well for me last year. I agree with the last post... busy channel on the weekends..

CAL
08-03-2005, 07:11 PM
how much do you pay for duxbury minnows? are they more expensive for out of towners?

:hihi:

Everything is expensive in Deluxebury.

Slingah
08-03-2005, 07:21 PM
we werent trying to catch the things...it was a fluke :laugha: ...get it...
seriously...he was just wondering if they were common....

Elmo
08-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the insight gentlemen. I may throw a minnow trap in the jones river in Kingston tonight and see if I can catch me some of these mumichogs. Thanks again.

hq2
08-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Minnows are $5.50 a dozen. You have to call Baymen Outfitters a day or two in advance to
have them catch them. Memo to Elmo; tell us
how you did.

Elmo
08-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Threw trap in jones river about 8:30pm Sat nignt and pulled out Sunday at around noon. Caught about 20 minnows and the same amount of green crabs. Problem was that the majority of minnows were very small. Only 3-4 were medium shiner size the rest were much smaller. Didn't catch a thing fishing with them but then again only fished about a half hour before kids got bored!