View Full Version : Polarized Fishing Glasses

JohnR
01-23-2002, 08:53 AM
OK - Daddy needs a new set of eyes....

Any recommendations on Polarized Fishing Glasses?

I'm looking for something that will fit variable lighting conditions, durable, good for sight casting, and won't cause my wife to choke when she sees the bill....

Thanks,

John

Mike P
01-23-2002, 09:45 AM
Hard to beat Flying Fisherman glasses at less than $20. They have glass lenses. Frames aren't the greatest, but hell, they're only 20 bucks with change back. Don't hurt as much if you lose or sit on them. Mike T has them in the shop. They have both gray and amber lenses.

If you want to go a little higher, last time I looked Hobies were around $100. Costas, Ocean Waves and Maui Jims are all now in the $150-$200 range.

JPowers
01-23-2002, 01:11 PM
John : Last year I found mine doing a Yahoo search - " sunglasses polarized". Only about a million sites came up. I finally decided on a pair of ICE tech from ashford. $ 100.00

So... access the search engines. It appears that the entire web was designed to sell sunglasses.

HESH2
01-23-2002, 02:00 PM
SANTA BOUGHT MY SON COSTA DEL MAR WAVE KILLER BLK GREEN MIR GLS FROM CABELAS ABOUT $129.I TRIED THEM ON AND THEY ARE GREAT.NO QUESTIONS ASKED LIFETIME WARANTEE.I AM WORKING ON GETTING MYSELF A PAIR.

RickBomba
01-23-2002, 10:27 PM
John,
Last year the wifey bought me a pair of Bolle Piraja model sunglasses for V Day. I absolutelty love them.
I've worn them every time I put my boat in the water (even in fog). Oh what a difference they make.
One day I spotted a school of big fish in what looked to be about five feet of water under the boat. My brother was wearing $150 Oakley polarized glasses and saw nothing.
Enough said, except the price tag was under $65.
Good Luck,
Rick

CSK
01-24-2002, 06:17 PM
John, they're have a big winter clearance sale at Orvis. The prices are now almos bearable. Actually they're better than bearable.

Kordell is a sissy.

CSK

Slipknot
01-24-2002, 07:38 PM
Mike, I got a couple pairs of the Flying Fisherman glasses from M&D's and he definately has the best price on them. under 15 bucks. :)

Rick, those sound like some excellant glasses.

bloocrab
01-25-2002, 01:10 AM
...BlooBlockers....@ $5...:smash: ....:D

chris L
01-25-2002, 09:31 AM
the cheaper the better . They never last very long anyhow . The flying fisherman glasses are a good buy for the money and they are glass lenses .

JohnR
01-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone...

I wound up ordering a set that I had tried on a couple months ago (the last time we saw sun up here). I really want glass lenses but anyone that's familiar with working tight inshore ledges and hanging plugs & jigs on weed covered rock knows that often enough, your offerings will fly right back atchya when you try to unseat them from the rocks. Glass is just simply not safe for this so I went with a pair of C-39 Costas. I get the hammerhead because I'm thick skulled and not mighty & powerfull like the shark :eek: . I also got the Vermilion lenses based on the recommendations of my local surfcasting brethern as it can do double duty for what I need...

I got them at http://www.ej-sunglasses.com/ for 88 bucks plus FLOATING strap.

Again, I appreciate the input from everyone here. I posted this question on two boards and got a lot of replies and advice - thanks....

bloocrab
01-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by chris L
the cheaper the better . They never last very long anyhow .

..thats what I'm saying, Chris...I've spent plenty of $$ on shades...NO MORE!!!.....I'm a "drop-o-maniac"...:rolleyes: ...

chris L
01-25-2002, 01:53 PM
mine always get scratched up lens from dragging my mug on the ground ! No more I stand erect now and buy cheapo shades !