View Full Version : Various line choices

Fish On
08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Need to respool a few rods. What would folks recommend for:

Surfcasting rod with Penn 8500 reel: Plan to use this for stripers off the beach (plugs and eels) as well as the occasionally school bluefin casting from a boat. I'm thinking 50 lb powerpro or fireline. Like the strength, casting distance, and line capacity. My only reservation is wind knots.

Medium boat rod with Penn 330GTI level wind reel: Use for deep water bait and jig fishing for cod and haddock as well as trolling for stripers and bluefish. Leaning towards the same line as above for the feel/sensitivity and deep water fishing in heavy current. I would like to have a little stretch for the trolling, but I use these rods for both types of fishing and the mono just doesn't cut it bottom fishing in deep water.

Thoughts on these or other choices? Would you use a backing or top shot on either or just fill it complete?

BigBo
08-03-2005, 02:27 PM
I personally don't care for any sort of braid on the Penn SS series reels. Try some Suffix Tritanium. Low strectch and easy casting.
Penn 330 GTi and a couple other jigging/trolling reels, I like Cortland Spectron braid.

BigBo
08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
btw, on the reels with the Spectron, I use a backing of mono then top off with the braid.

fishsmith
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
you could probably fit 600+ yds of braid on the GTI, that's good $$ for unused line.
I use 80lb pwrpro on my cod reels, but I fill at least 1/2 the reel with backing, last thing you want to do is not get the most out of each crank when your 300+ deep.
The trick to finding the right amount of backing is having two of the same reels, spool the braid first, then backing until the reel is full. (take note the amount of backing) Then re-reel onto the other reel.

I can't solve the wind knots, other than don't cast into the wind. I use 50lb PP on my 704Z. (it's got backing too)

Fish On
08-03-2005, 04:20 PM
OK I'm leaning towards a 1500 yard spool of 65 lb power pro for both applications. What do you recommend for a backing and knot? 50 lb dacron with a blood knot?

The two reel idea is fantastic!

quick decision
08-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Braid and penn ss dont mix

fishsmith
08-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I use dacron, not sure the brand 40lb test I think. To connect the lines I use the albright knot - http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_albright.htm

Fish On
08-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, not sure of the brand but I had 50 lb braid on the 8500SS and I was happy with the performance. Why is Power Pro a poor choice? Is there a braid line in that lb test range that will serve the purpose for both types of rods? I'm not familiar with tritanium.

BigBo
08-04-2005, 02:32 AM
The Suffix Tritanium is not a braid. Looks and feels like mono, but I think it's considered a fusion type line. I've never been a big fan of Power Pro. I really gave it a fair chance but it seemed to fray on me a lot. I do like Fireline for zero stretch and excellent casting qualities. The Cortland Spectron is also excellent casting, has a slight stretch capability and excellent wear and abrasion qualities. I have about 75-100 yards of 20lb mono backing with 300 yards of 50lb Spectron on a 330 GTi. I've never tried the Spectron on the Penn SS reels. It may cast good, I don't know for sure though. I know Saltheart is a big fan of Spectron for casting jigs in the Canal.
Anyways, that's my .02 worth. I'm sure others here will give an exact opposite opinion. I'm happy with my choices though.