View Full Version : Dog fishn abuse

Rappin Mikey
08-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Am I wrong when I just whip these bastages into the surf? I usually anchor them by stepping rite above there tail fin spike, then grab them by the nose, pull it up, release the hook, then lob by the nose quickly, so I don't get whacked by the tail spike. If they swim back in, I let the gulls take care of them. What's your guys take on how you should be treating these nasty varmits?????

Maloney
08-04-2005, 10:59 PM
With all due respect. :rocketem:

Surfcastinglife
08-04-2005, 11:01 PM
i was never one to torture them, nor skates......i see people doing alot of both, just not my style i guess

BigFish
08-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I agree with Surfcastinglife.....I just catch and release.....they are just living their lives, I don't feel the need to torture them. :zup:

Fungus
08-05-2005, 06:17 AM
In general if I catch anything that is not intended for my table I treat it with respect and release as quickly and gently as possible. If it is intended for the table I also treat it with respect and deal with it as quickly as possible. This is also what I am teaching my daughters to do.

Rappin Mikey
08-05-2005, 06:25 AM
I don't torture them either. I just give them a nice quick toss so I don't get lanced. I guess I could just grab them by the tail and release them a bit nicer. I just get so darn frustrated with those things. They were so thick this weekend they were finning the surface off of Race pt. During the day, I couldn't even get my bait to the bottom without getting one. They wreck your rigs to boot. I hate them!!!!

BigFish
08-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Plug? :huh:

capecodder
08-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Whats the best way to handle a dog? I know the little spine behind the dorsal is nasty, but having been cautious around the mouth, do they have teeth? Any other things to look out for than that spine?

teaser
08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Don't let 'em slap you with their tail either, they'll give you a mean road rash scrape. They do have teeth but they're so small they won't cut you but they can break a finger or two if your digits are in their mouth when they clamp down and start thrashing around.

MakoMike
08-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Whats the best way to handle a dog? I know the little spine behind the dorsal is nasty, but having been cautious around the mouth, do they have teeth? Any other things to look out for than that spine?

They have two spines, one behind each dorsal fin. Its rearmost one that gets most guys, but I have seen guys get it from the forward one as well. Just be very careful handling them. Stepping on thier tail while trying to unhook them is one way to reduce the risk.

striprman
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
If they bite you, they can cut you, smooth dogfish (the ones without the spines) too.

likwid
08-05-2005, 02:01 PM
i see people doing alot of both, just not my style i guess

Inferiority complex? :faga:

Sweetwater
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't see any reason to purposefully kill ANY species that I'm not going to keep for the table.

basswipe
08-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Catch and release.

Thet are alive,they deserve that much.

Raider Ronnie
08-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Catch & release give me a break, do you guys hug a tree after you just released one of them!!!

basswipe
08-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Catch & release give me a break, do you guys hug a tree after you just released one of them!!!

Absolutely!

I just married a tree!!!

Backbeach Jake
08-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I agree with Surfcastinglife.....I just catch and release.....they are just living their lives, I don't feel the need to torture them. :zup:
Agreed, we share this Planet, can't hurt to show a little respect.

protty31
08-06-2005, 06:22 AM
No,but it's showing another living thing a little respect.Beating them up for no reason other than just being mad you caught one is just ignorant.

Newboater
08-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Couple of weeks ago the wife, boys and I caught 20 to 25 DogFish at 2KR out of Portsmouth Harbor along with Skates. Why didn't someone tell me about the spikes ? I didn't get spiked but I sure didn't let that tail slap around either. Holding it by tail and just behind the gills I let someone pull the hook out and put the little dirt bags back into the ocean.

Sarge :cheers:

Surfcastinglife
08-06-2005, 11:23 AM
yea those spines are nasty, been hit by them once or twice not being careful, they sure do hurt ;p

and likwid...im not quite sure i understand what your getting at....but thats probably for the best

likwid
08-06-2005, 01:16 PM

No, I'd just rather not see the ecosystem destroyed any further.

But I suppose you think the exploratory drilling out on georges bank is a good idea too?

Thank the reps for slipping that one in the door.

kayaman
08-06-2005, 02:13 PM
ditto............... :ss:

thefishingfreak
08-06-2005, 10:52 PM
nevermind.

Rappin Mikey
08-07-2005, 07:51 AM
ok

boot man
08-07-2005, 09:42 AM
I put my foot on the tail and hold tight tight to the line. Then I grab from the top (behind the gills tightly), snip the barbs off and release them.

(sometimes with my gear down my throat, those bastages)

Maloney
08-07-2005, 09:46 AM
they're like rats or pigeons...and what is going on with their management. they seem to be everywhere but protected. i don't abuse them...but have thoughts of putting together a line of fishers to catch 'em, fillet them, fry them, and open a "fish and chips' concession on the beach....frustratin' !!!

MAC
08-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Back when I was a boat guy we killed every dog we caught. Don't fish bait much now so haven't caught one in a long, long time.

BrianS
08-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I havent caught a single one this year.

However, in the past, weve killed them.

I feel worse for the eels when I shove a hook thru their eyesocket.. or various other live bait that we impale and send to its death..

I also feel sorta bad for fish in general that get hooked.
I sometimes feel bad for swatting mosquitos...

Doesnt stop me from any of the above though.

So I go thru my phases where I feel bad for dogfish... but they usually do not last very long.

flatts1
08-07-2005, 09:00 PM
For those interested, the following is a proposal I presented to the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission this year. Not only did it pass, but I was thanked for proposing it.

The DMF is working on the final wording...

Best,
Mike Flaherty

Proposal 2 – Prohibit the intentional mutilating or killing of fish that are not kept:

It is common practice for fishermen to mutilate or kill fish that they consider as a "nuisance". This is especially true of dogfish. I've read on the Internet and heard first hand how many folks carry a club on board their boats specifically for this purpose. To the best of my knowledge this practice is legal - but it should not be.

Not only do such species have a valid place in our ecosystem, but one man's junk is another man's treasure.

There is a commercial interest in dogfish that the DMF has long championed on behalf of fishermen displaced from other fisheries. Every fish that is wantonly killed by those who do not target them means less fish for those who do value them – including consumers.

In addition, regardless of what folks may think of the science involved, accepted data lists dogfish as being overfished. Continued indiscriminate killing of dogfish can only hinder their rebuilding.

It is for these reasons that I respectfully request the MMFAC to consider formally prohibiting the intentional killing or mutilating of any fish that is not kept. An obvious exception to this petition would be the necessity of allowing folks to be able to mutilate or kill fish for use as bait.

If I am incorrect and it is in fact presently illegal to purposely kill unwanted fish, then I would recommend that the MMFAC take steps to better inform all fishermen that is the case. Worldwide there are many hungry nations less fortunate than ours. Fishermen in those countries do not have the luxury to view any edible fish as a nuisance, only as nutrition. We can learn a lot from such an ethic.