View Full Version : Fish B4 You Die Thread

JohnR
08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Here is a thought - what kind of fish or fishing scenario do you want to do before you die?

RIJIMMY
08-10-2005, 02:05 PM
I think I've done it already. Barracuda of the flats in Key West was a dream as a kid and went @ 5 years ago with my dad and a guide. Watching 25lb fish hit topwater lures in 2 feet of water and then peel of line at 30mph was one of the best things I have ever done. Im not sure what can top that aalthough this tuna talk has got me thinking.
I would love to be part of one of the "legendary" bass blitzes of 40lbs and 50s.....

Mike P
08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
I think I'd like to go to Costa Rica and surf fish for those big snook they get around river mouths. Or to the Baja and try for some roosterfish with that guy Sergio.

Also want to catch a redfish some time. Not one of those little slots they get, but the big ones from the Indian River or from the surf in the OBX.

piemma
08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
You know after having a quad bypass in 2003 and cancer this year I figure if I can fish on Block Island for the WHOLE Fall run my life would be complete. I'm talking staying in one of those real nice houses overlooking the SW Point starting Labor day and not leaving until the 2nd week in December.
Like to have 3 or 4 bedrooms so I could have rotating fishing partners all through the run.......and do nothing but fish for moby Stripers

chris L
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
well I just fished Alaska and that was the one spot I had to do before I die . So I guess Im ready dear Lord .

but if Im going to be around longer . I still have many places I havent fished yet.
key west ( snook and tarpon )
canada ( pike , trout , small mouths )
Australia ( for any fish )
oregon / north west ( trout )
germany ( rhine river )
ireland ( pike )

Places I have fished but need to again and again
MV , block , cutty . nantucket ( stripers )
Alaska ( Salmon / char /greyling )
maine ( small mouths and trout stripers )
vermont ( trout )
New hampshire ( trout small mouths , stripers )

RIJIMMY
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I got a feeling I'm going to have a lot of thing to add to my list after this thread is up.

Slingah
08-10-2005, 03:07 PM
HUGE tarpoon with my good friend of 25+ years Capn' G. LaBonte
any snook that might happen...... :hee:
have had my striper dream....minus a fifty :musc:

ThrowingTimber
08-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Hawaii, Costa Rica, Both oceans in Colombia, San Andres (colombia), St. John, Keys, OBX, Argentina, Jamaica, Nicaragua, panama, landlocked 60's in KenTOOKY!!!! :drool: Tuna and whatever else happens in the MEd. Other places cant think of right this minute.. Bali

I DO want NEED to catch: Tuna, Sail, mahi, bones, GT, Amberjacks, sturgeon before Im done... :buds:

Homerun04
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Giant Blue Marlin off the coast of the Azure Islands........

Gloucester2
08-10-2005, 03:27 PM
In no particular order:

Roostertail in Mexico

Halibut in Alaska

Codfish in Iceland

King crab in the Bering Sea

:soon:

RIROCKHOUND
08-10-2005, 03:28 PM
GT;
Done AJ's on light tackle.. absolute blast...
Marlin; maybe someday, I'd rather do some nice allison yellows on stand-up gear

For local fish, besides the obvious 50; I want/need a blackfish over 15.... thats my most realistic short term goal...

Hooper
08-10-2005, 03:33 PM
I want a one week February stay at the Tropic Star Lodge at Pinas Bay Panama.

The Black Marlin fishery is ledgenday and the sails are incredible too. In fact, I have three friends who want this trip as badly as I do and it might be in the works for 2007.... made the mistake of sending for their free promational video, it worked, it was mind blowing. :uhuh:

www.tropicstar.com

Nebe
08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
For bass---- What Piemma said, although i would want to start in early august and stay till nov.. I beleive the late fall glory days are a thing of the past there.

other fish- 50 lb Cubera snapper on my poppers would be a nice treat :D

A fatty bluefin from shore would be a nice treat :D

BrianS
08-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I had a taste of this a few years back. Went via boatplane to this lake in the middle of canada...

It was a 4 hour ride north of Montreal then another hour straight north via boatplane.

It was for Northern Pike... but it was only 3 days

Id love to do that again, knowing what I know now. It was great...

Outside of that... Its all about Alaska.

hunan
08-10-2005, 03:43 PM
how 'bout fishing the rio negro for some peacocks. have you guys seen the way they hit topwater? probably out of reach for me now, my ex wife is brazilian. should've gone when i was there. TWICE. DOH!

fishsmith
08-10-2005, 03:48 PM
I'll go with the scenerio - Me and my boys having a day full of of stripers, tuna, cod, haddock, bluefish and the pots full of lobsters on our way in. All in and around Mass/CC bay.

basswipe
08-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Also want to catch a redfish some time. Not one of those little slots they get, but the big ones from the Indian River or from the surf in the OBX.

I was very fortunate while I was stationed in TX. to be able to catch large redfish(12-18lbs) on a two outings with a guide.A big redfish FIGHTS.I had a great day by myself once where I must've caught a dozen 5-6lbers on a 6'6" ultralight setup while fishing a tidal flat.

I wouldn't mind doing that again before I die.I'd like to to do some big snook fishing too.

But what I really want is that one warm late spring night or any night where I hammer a 1/2dozen 20-30lb bass and then one 40+ to end the night.

TheRattBoy
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I'd like to catch large red fish in Texas on light gear , those fish look pissa. johnny

capesams
08-10-2005, 04:09 PM
alaska for the hal-o-bit...100*er's an up or die tryin.

BigFish
08-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I had a night people dream of last year.....couple guys from here were there! :beat: Fish up to 25 all night long on wood...my own! A forty plus on Cutty this fall would be nice......a 50 anywhere is more than I could wish for.....if it happened.....I think I would get me some old time religion! :read: I really just enjoy hooking up stripers with my buddies.......it really does not get much better heading out with a buddy or two.....landing on wood all day, maybe some at night and on some slimeys too! I feel real blessed after a fun, enjoyable, fishy outing where all caught! They don't have to be dozens or large but must have stripes! :jump:

CANAL RAT
08-10-2005, 04:23 PM
fly fishing for atlantic salmon in iceland and following the fall run like in the book "on the run" from ME to NC and SC

Jimbo
08-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Boy, this has really had me thinking since John posted it. Being optimistically realistic, I'd like to think one day I could say I had caught a keeper of no specific species from the shore of every state bordering the Atlantic from Florida to Maine. Focusing a little more locally, I'd like to say I landed bragging sized bass along the NJ Shore at Island Beach, Ocean City, Brigantine, and Sandy Hook, also some spots on L.I. I had the opportunity to when I lived there, but never took advantage, namely Montauk, Orient Point, Shinnecock and Sunken Meadow. There's probably spots in RI and CT I'd regret missing, but I'd head up to Cape Cod and try to catch something from the shore of all 15 towns, and those that border two bodies of water, catch something from both. Now that covers what I'd like to do before I die. I also would like to catch those species I have not been able to before and are on my ToDo List like blue fin, weakfish (squeat), kingfish, pollack, wolffish, wahoo, redfish, and spanish mackeral to name a few.

Nebe
08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
alaska for the hal-o-bit...100*er's an up or die tryin.

done it- honestly it wasnt too thrilling. no fight at all- i thought i hooked a log or something :(

next time i go (next year) i will be after the salmon :devil:

PNG
08-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I think I'd like to go to Costa Rica and surf fish for those big snook they get around river mouths. Or to the Baja and try for some roosterfish with that guy Sergio.

While my name is not "Sergio" you got a partner :D Your answer is mine with one addition...Peacocks.

When we going Mike? Got Mustang? :devil:

Australia....

fishaholic18
08-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I'd like to hook and land a big Tarpon and big Snook on light tackle.

Slipknot
08-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I always wanted to catch big trout in New Zealand.

Those roosterfish that Sergio gets would be awesome, but I think I'd need to brush up on my casting and I would make a load of plugs to try.

Fishing Cuttyhunk for stripers has been and is always in my dreams. I can't wait to go back.

I already got my tarpon in the keys, but next time I'd like to wrestle with one over 100 pounds.

tynan19
08-10-2005, 05:36 PM
I have caught Mahi and Wahoo in Mexico. Amberjacks in OBX. I would love to get to Central America for a week of fishing. I also would like to try and catch some real bones on the flats of the Bahamas and Florida with a fly rod. Alaska salmon runs would be a great time too.

afterhours
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
a week on the margaree followed by a week on the miramichi during prime salmon run with my fly rod. then come home and catch a 60!

Saltheart
08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
I always wanted a Marlin.

porcupine
08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Fish to dream for

1 A 50# striper my first
2 A 6# brook trout
3 A rooster fish in Costa Rica

If I can Catch 1 out of three before my fishing ends I will have achieved my greatest goal!

Swede
08-10-2005, 06:43 PM
:bounce: I'm with capesams, Alaska for 100+ Flounders!!

BigBo
08-10-2005, 07:06 PM
I've done Peacocks in Costa Rica. Awesome!!!!! We were actually looking to get into Tarpon, but it wasn't meant to be. A 10-15 lb Peacock on topwater buzzbaits is insane fishing. Best part was my company (at the time) paid for it. :angel: ;) :rotfl:

Tburg
08-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I have been to Alaska - Salmon ( Reds - Kings - Silvers ) - Halubit -( 75# and 195# ). I would like to go back for more salmon....Its just to nice up there not to GO back....

A week or two in the fall on Cuttyhunk - Oh hell - A whole season....
Florida for Tarpon and Reds. P.E.I. for Atlantics. Montana for Trout.
Hawaii abd Costa Rica for anything and then I'm DONE....

Uncle Matt
08-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Like Chris L and Capesams said. Alaska. I'd love to spend a few weeks chasing halibut and Salmon.

I'd also like to spend a week on my boat staying in Cuttyhunk chasing some of the exotic fish that visit our shores. No Nextel, no work. Just one cold beer each night before I shower and go to bed. Someday I hope. Or die trying.........

Mike P
08-10-2005, 07:47 PM
While my name is not "Sergio" you got a partner :D Your answer is mine with one addition...Peacocks.

When we going Mike? Got Mustang? :devil:

Soon as I stop paying child support :D

Backbeach Jake
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
:happy: One screaming windy am , backside , under the lighthouse. Fishing my wood , a reel smoking run from an unstoppable bass. Let me see it in the break. I will lay down and die happy, :happy:

Squibby17
08-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Great Thread

I, at a fairly young age have fished for Salmon & Halibut in California, Mahi, Permit and wahoo in the US virgin islands and Marlin, sailfish and shark....in the bahamas. All Places I feel blessed to go. Last january I caught this very large shark off cat island in the Bahamas. Great fight prob biggest thing i'll ever catch ( check pictures) but......

That said if I could do one thing, it would still be catching a 50 at a certain rocky point on the south west side of martha's vineyard. I like striper fishing the most because its in my blood. I'll take a trophy at a spot I have grown to love over years of fishing above anything else

partsjay
08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
I guess I have a few dreams...in no particular order..

I would love to go fly fishing for some big trout out west with my Dad someday.( he fishes for stripers, but trout is his thing. )

To get to fish with my girls ( 6 months old right now )...I want to see their faces when they feel their first bite...my boy ( he is 9 ) and I have fished together for largemouth..( he has a 4 pounder to his credit already )..but I haven't taken him for stripers yet...this fall I hope...I really want him to get a striper.

My brother is new to the scene and has really tried hard this year, but we just can't seem to find fish lately...before the year is out..I hope he hooks up.

And for myself....I would love to go to Cutty and catch some nice fish...I have not fished the Race from the sand yet, and that has always been my dream....someday it will happen I hope. :ss:

But I have to say...if the dreams for myself don't happen...I would be happy if some of the others do.

fishingchic101
08-10-2005, 09:59 PM
I would just like to go out on a nice day and have a good day of fishing. I would like to catch tons of fish have some laughs bring the fish home and make some dinner.

castn4bass
08-10-2005, 10:05 PM
I've got my own list of fish I'd like to catch before I go off to that big pond in the sky! Bonefish , Permit , Tarpon, Marlin, and of corse that 50+ lb striper! I guess that means travel at some point in the future.
:ss:

Flaptail
08-11-2005, 05:47 AM
I just want to be able to fish until the day I die. Don't matter what I'm catchin'. :hidin:

Navy Chief
08-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Throughout my life I've had a chance to catch some unique fish. I'm still searching for that 50lb Striper but I've caught Marlin, Sailfish, Baramudi, Wahoo, Salmon, Sturgeon. Peacock Bass were fun, Halibut is boring bottom fishing. Tarpon might be fun but if I'm going to wish for something it would be this.

Northern Mongolia Taimen on the fly. These fish are also called "King of the River" A Salmon that is a voracious predator and reaches wieghts over 100 pounds. The locals use Ground Squirrels to catch these.

ThrowingTimber
08-11-2005, 07:27 AM
mongolia added to list!!! Now THAT SIR IS A TROUT!!! :cheers:

piemma
08-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Vic, check your PMs

ProfessorM
08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Live lining mullet in a small boat with conventional gear and a 150 lb. Tarpon on the other end. P.

Christian
08-11-2005, 10:06 AM
a salmon in Jamaica Plain. came close.

break 25 pounds on a plug.

Joe
08-11-2005, 10:50 AM
I think I'd like to do the fall run on Block too.

http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Return_Of_The_Needlefish/694_sm.jpg

In the mornings, you can literally watch the migration from those houses on Southwest Point, you can see the schools with birds in tow, coming down from the north towards the Southwest Buoy. I've seen two and three big, distinct groups of fish with a mile or two between them - its way cool.
Plus this dream is reachable - I think its important to keep your dreams within the realm of possibility.

eelman
08-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I think I'd like to do the fall run on Block too.

http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Return_Of_The_Needlefish/694_sm.jpg

In the mornings, you can literally watch the migration from those houses on Southwest Point, you can see the schools with birds in tow, coming down from the north towards the Southwest Buoy. I've seen two and three big, distinct groups of fish with a mile or two between them - its way cool.
Plus this dream is reachable - I think its important to keep your dreams within the realm of possibility.

Same here, Stripers! are the only fish that makes me happy!

outfished
08-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Fly into northern Canada for arctic char and fish the miramichi river again with my dad, even if we don't catch a single fish.

Notaro
08-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Offshore- Mahi mahi, albacore, bluefin tuna, bigeye tuna, yellowtail tuna, skipjack tuna, blackfin tuna, groupers, snappers, halibuts, yellowtail, wahoo, and swordfish from NC to California.Trophy groundfish in Stellewagon banks or in Europe.

Inshore- all kinds of salmons in Alaska, red drum, moby stripers, doormat flukes, bonito, false albacore, snook, trouts in alaska, tautogs, weakfish, spotted trout, speckled trout, sheephead, cobia, peacock, roosterfish, and spanish mackerel.

i want to catch them all before I get old, weak, and withered to fish.

CAL
08-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Offshore- Mahi mahi, albacore, bluefin tuna, bigeye tuna, yellowtail tuna, skipjack tuna, blackfin tuna, groupers, snappers, halibuts, yellowtail, wahoo, and swordfish from NC to California.Trophy groundfish in Stellewagon banks or in Europe.

Inshore- all kinds of salmons in Alaska, red drum, moby stripers, doormat flukes, bonito, false albacore, snook, trouts in alaska, tautogs, weakfish, spotted trout, speckled trout, sheephead, cobia, peacock, roosterfish, and spanish mackerel.

i want to catch them all before I get old, weak, and withered to fish.

Man, you gonna have to hit the lottery the way U lose plugs :bl:

Notaro
08-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Man, you gonna have to hit the lottery the way U lose plugs :bl:

Not if I find a permenant and stable job that pays well after college, I can afford these and plugs :)

JohnR
08-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Notaro - Yeh - but you gotta do good in college first....

Like the a Fish Mongolia....

A 50 before I die, from shore...

A 60 from boat

TheRattBoy
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm surprised that no one has said smallie fishing in N.H. with Charlie Moore :hee: johnny

capesams
08-12-2005, 05:58 PM
what's wrong with bottom banging :confused: my 17 lb. fluke fought like a 40 lb. bass.