View Full Version : Saint Bob "Pond that is" and Striper Wars

Swimmer
08-11-2005, 11:37 AM
After reading a short review of "Striper Wars" that was posted here by Sandman and written by a vineyard resident whose last name is Russell I think Bob Pond of Atom lure fame should be at least beatified if not made a saint outright bypassing all the bulls*#t one has to go through to become a saint. I can't believe all the time and effort he and a few other people gave to save our beloved striped bass. I would bet that their was a tremendous out of pocket expenses for Mr. Pond in the seventies, eighties, on into the nineties while he traveled extensively doing young of the year surveys and battling all the bureaucrats who wanted to institute artbitrary rules on striped bass fishing that had more to do with politics than science. Stripers Wars should be required reading for anyone here. I thank Mr. Sandman for posting his thoughts about the book that I was able to order and receive while I was sweetwater vacationing in Moultonborough, N.H. Frashwater, bleh. The book is not entirely about Ponds efforts alone. There were many other individuals involved including the author. Reading the book brings with it the awakening that saving the bass is much more than moritoriums on bass and protecting their spawning areas. I hope promoting this book as a must read is not considered inappropriate.

bassmaster
08-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Slipknot
08-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Bob Pond :btu:

JohnR
08-12-2005, 07:36 AM
It is on the Winter Reading List, for certain....

I have heard a few things about Bob Pond and his efforts of championing for the bass but look forward to reading more detail and less anecdotal info...