View Full Version : eel moratorium.. has it begun?

BrianS
08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Just got back from the bait store... I was told I should grab them quick as they arent going to be available very soon... First time I was warned by my guy there....

Ill admit I do not know all the details.. was there a date set etc for eels being restricted?

eelman
08-12-2005, 06:05 PM
nope, canada, where most eels are coming from now , have changed there regulations on size. its making it more difficult to get them. Just get an eel pot and pot your own :hee:

From what I have heard if anything is going to happen, its at least two years away, so you have a couple of seasons left to get a 50 on the eel.Once it does happen (if it does) just toss a pot out and get your own for fishing, I wouldent worry about the eel police finding you at 2am on some remote rock.If eels are "endagered" its because of the demand from other countries that consume them for food, not from bass fisherman.

Slingah
08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
who would eat one of them slimey bastages :yak:

NIB
08-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Eel is actually pretty tasty.kinda tastes like chicken.

Nebe
08-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Unagi :drool:

i was told the same at my tackleshop last night..... eels are going to be hard to get next season. My hunch is that the eel suppliers are going to milk this and drive up prices before any moratorium happens. We'll see though.

eelman
08-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Unagi :drool:

i was told the same at my tackleshop last night..... eels are going to be hard to get next season. My hunch is that the eel suppliers are going to milk this and drive up prices before any moratorium happens. We'll see though.
not if you pot your own

I can see it now a huge underground eel market :beat: They will always be availible one way or the other. :bl:

Nebe
08-13-2005, 08:23 AM
got horseshoe crab ? :jump1:

likwid
08-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I wouldent worry about the eel police finding you at 2am on some remote rock.

Yeah!!!
Screw conservation!
Lets go kill some schoolies while we're at it too!

basswipe
08-13-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm curious.

If possession of eels were to become illegal would any here continue to use them?

If yes how would that be different from keeping an undersized bass or hunting/
fishing out of established seasons?

lurch
08-13-2005, 08:53 AM
You know damn right well that the tackle shops will be raising prices...they will say " It is not me it is a supply vs demand thing", then they will use the gas prices as an example.

Next they will increase the price of chunks (who uses chunks :bl: ) and say "Since everyone has switched from eels to chunks the demand has gone up for the chunks so I had to increase the price"

Then they will increase the price of lures because "the lack of bait, because of the denamd, has increased the price of lures"

Hey fellas...you increase the price of everything fisherman will not come to your stoe for anything. Wit the gas prices preventing some folks from fishing we dont need any more pricing pressures!

On an off topic....I just saw that the Airlines are raising prices because of "fuel prices". So if the prices of gas drops do they drop their prices....I THINK NOT!!!

CAL
08-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Buy stock in Sluggos

lurch
08-13-2005, 09:48 AM
I just reread my post....man there was some venom in there.

I need to catch me some fish.....it has been a while with the twinks :splat:

eelman
08-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah!!!
Screw conservation!
Lets go kill some schoolies while we're at it too!

Here we go! lumping everything else into the eel problem, I dont kill school bass..

eelman
08-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm curious.

If possession of eels were to become illegal would any here continue to use them?

I cant answer your question on how it would be different.

As to would I still use them...I plead the fifth on that :D

I would have no problem at all fishing sluggo's they work great, so if eels were none existant thats what I would use.....

BrianS
08-13-2005, 11:40 AM
It might be time to get the 55 gallon plastic drum out.

My uncle had a nice system going for years with pots and keeping them in the drum.. He isnt using the hardware anymore.. might as well get some use out of it.

and if you really want to be an activist, instead of making ridiculous comparisons like eel use and killing schoolies... go picket the party boats where I would guess that 50% of what comes up in the way of small cod/haddock dont back down alive.

BrianS
08-13-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm curious.

Not regularly... but if one happened to swim by or something.. i cant say i wouldnt.

Pete F.
08-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Why not just eliminate the commercial harvest of eels, What percentage of users would pot their own? I think it would be pretty small.

Crafty Angler
08-13-2005, 12:04 PM
got horseshoe crab ? :jump1:

Make sure you have your license to harvest horseshoe crabs first....

BigBo
08-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I went back to potting my own. I had to pay $1.90 each recently and half the time they don't have any. And forget about fresh bait anymore. Nobody carries fresh/not frozen. :huh:

partsjay
08-13-2005, 01:24 PM
got wood?

BrianS
08-13-2005, 01:39 PM
$1.90? wow

still at $1 apiece and I am one of 3 guys who buy them from this guy.

likwid
08-13-2005, 02:30 PM
go picket the party boats where I would guess that 50% of what comes up in the way of small cod/haddock dont back down alive.

Overseeing how people unhook fish on a party boat is a mate's job most of the better boats they actually do their job.
DEM was down at Capt Leroy's thursday night checking permits and fish.
They were also in Padanaram creeping around after a couple reports of shorts being taken off the breakwater.

And its the correct comparison.
If you're gonna ignore laws, you might as well just take short fish.
There's no difference.

You got a problem with a moratorium on certain species? Fine, take it up with the DEM and the State. Don't ignore the laws and do whatever the hell you want, because it'll make you no different than the piles of people down at the East End or any number of "popular" places that blatantly ignore the size requirements and catch laws.

eelman
08-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Look, if I want to fish eels , then I am fishing eels! simple as that.

You guys are taking this way to far, there is no "moratorium" on eels and its not gonna happen, relax and dont worry about it. thare are plenty of landlocked eels in freshwater ponds, pot those and your ok in my opinion.

CAL
08-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm curious.

It wouldn't be any different. Poaching is poaching.

eelman
08-13-2005, 04:20 PM
All the self rightious people! I would bet anything that any of you in the middle of a blitz where the only thing that was working was eels, would take one and hook it right up, moratorium or not!!

CAL
08-13-2005, 04:37 PM
You'd lose that bet.

I wouldent worry about the eel police finding you at 2am on some remote rock.

You feel the same way about taking shorts under the cover of darkness? Explain the difference to me.

BrianS
08-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Granted, I can only base on what I see, but I would hope they would put a moratorium on pogies and herring long before eels. Or hell, put the moratorium on any and all live bait, except for maybe clams and worms. Do it for a year or two.

Id be all for that if it helped.

eelman
08-13-2005, 05:42 PM
You'd lose that bet.

You feel the same way about taking shorts under the cover of darkness? Explain the difference to me.

Not worth the explanation or the argument that will ensue, I do not take shorts as your post implies. I dont think eels are endagered, I think there needs to be a 5 or 10 year study first, I think most of it is politics, one person says they see less eels in a tidal river and all of a sudden its an endangered species..There is a world out there of people , like it or not who consume eels for food and thats the problem, not bait fisherman on the east coast..

BrianS
08-13-2005, 05:50 PM
All the self rightious people!.

No kidding.
But its the internet, you get used to it.

Nebe
08-13-2005, 06:18 PM
remember there was a large group of people who didnt think the bass were in trouble in the 80's and they didnt have the internet to compare notes.

BrianS
08-13-2005, 07:46 PM
remember there was a large group of people who didnt think the bass were in trouble in the 80's and they didnt have the internet to compare notes.
and not to underestimate this valuable tool, nor the crisis that marine fisheries in general are facing, but you still need to weigh the value of the information based on what you know of the source.

Bass Babe
08-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Endangered species regulations have a purpose, despite how silly some may seem, or how destructive to someone's lifestyle. I doubt that eels will be listed as endangered, as I have heard otherwise in fisheries management circles. But if they were, I'd find another bait and respect the managers and the law. That's just me; y'all can do what you want, although I do advocate obeying wildlife management regulations.

The breaking of wildlife laws should not be excused with the question "am I going to eat it?" Someone probably ate the last dodo. That doesn't justify it any more than someone shooting it for feathers for hats, or whatever. No matter why it occured, the conscious destruction of an endangered, regulated species, should not be condoned. If you're hungry, buy ramen noodles instead of bait or ammunition that you would use to break the law.

BrianS
08-14-2005, 03:43 AM
So
If eels were banned, and one used them for bait and caught a striper -

Would that striper be considered an accessory to the crime? Entrapment?

I am going to take my bucket of contraband and head out and see if I cant find a few fish with jail stripes that are looking to break a few laws.

:jump1:

The breaking of wildlife laws should not be excused with the question "am I going to eat it?" Someone probably ate the last dodo.

and it was delicious!

However, your exactly right of course

leptar
08-14-2005, 07:12 AM
If you're hungry, buy ramen noodles instead of bait or ammunition that you would use to break the law.

do they have low sodium ramen noodles?

likwid
08-14-2005, 04:23 PM
All the self rightious people! I would bet anything that any of you in the middle of a blitz where the only thing that was working was eels, would take one and hook it right up, moratorium or not!!

I'm not greedy and so self absorbed I'd break laws to do something that can be done a million ways.

CAL
08-14-2005, 09:03 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I'm not implying you take shorts. Just trying to understand your rationalization that it's ok to use an illegal bait if they should be banned.

What you've repeatedly said is you'd break the law. What would you say about people sneaking into a herring run at night and taking them even though they're a legal bait? Is that ok if they REALLY wanted them just cuz it's their bait of choice?

Expand your horizons, try something new. Bass can be caught lots of different ways. If you're as good as you always say you are, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

striperboy3754
08-15-2005, 06:35 AM
I know the prices will be high but think bigger the eel....
><(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ <=============='>

Big Fishy

Just a thought,or

><((((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((((('>

~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((('>

><((((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((((('>

~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((((('> ~ ~ ~ ~ ><((((((((((('>

lots of them :eek5: :eek5: :btu: :jump: THANK YOU GOD IF THIS COMES TRUE.....

ME and my thought's

eelman
08-15-2005, 08:03 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I'm not implying you take shorts. Just trying to understand your rationalization that it's ok to use an illegal bait if they should be banned.

What you've repeatedly said is you'd break the law. What would you say about people sneaking into a herring run at night and taking them even though they're a legal bait? Is that ok if they REALLY wanted them just cuz it's their bait of choice?

Expand your horizons, try something new. Bass can be caught lots of different ways. If you're as good as you always say you are, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Look they may call me "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" but I certainly fish other methods, how would you know? I just feel its the best bait for cow bass. As far as other methods , well I would certainly put more time in with sluggos, Next to that I would chum and chunk and if I wanted numbers when there were fish on mullet or something I would plug.

Your baiting me into something stupid, you want me to say "I am breaking the law" Since your questions are totaly hypathetical at this point an answer from me only invites trouble, as of now eels are legal!! I will say this, if they were not legal and someone offered me some? I would use them in a heartbeat and break the law :laugha: :laugha:

MakoMike
08-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Was talking to a couple of bait shops last night about the eel situation. According to them ( iahve no independent knowledge of this) the Canadian goverment has prohibited the export of eels under 14 inches long. This is not only going to mean bigger bait eels but also higher prices, as the prime size bait eels get scarcer.

BrianS
08-15-2005, 08:09 AM
That explains it then
The eels at the bait store I go to have been very on and off size wize

The ones I got yesterday, were all innertube size.... REALLY nice ones.. :)

BigFish
08-15-2005, 08:10 AM
What does the Canadian Government have to do with eels? Do we get all of our eels from Canada if any?

eelman
08-15-2005, 08:13 AM
What does the Canadian Government have to do with eels? Do we get all of our eels from Canada if any?
They have nothing to do with it, however since most baitshops are getting there eels from canada now they have to follow canadian laws, and right now the size of the eels from canada has increased so, most baitshops are getting monster eels that no one wants to fish and, getting smaller ones that are more fisherman friendly is getting hard......

BrianS
08-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Your baiting me into something stupid, you want me to say "I am breaking the law" Since your questions are totaly hypathetical at this point an answer from me only invites trouble, as of now eels are legal!! I will say this, if they were not legal and someone offered me some? I would use them in a heartbeat and break the law :laugha: :laugha:
I can see it now, stings set up on the side of the canal... Pssst, i got some eels man... you want some? Sure, toss em in the bucket.. There you go buddy... Got something else for you, its right here in my tackle box... Here it is! my badge and cuffs...

:laugha:

BigFish
08-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Why do we get our eels from Canada again? Don't we have any suppliers here?

eelman
08-15-2005, 08:20 AM
COULD happen but I say only get your illegal eels from people you trust and have known for years :uhuh: :uhuh:

eelman
08-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Why do we get our eels from Canada again? Don't we have any suppliers here?
who knows? cheaper I guess , more availible? I know up until about a month agao most eels were coming from maryland

Pete F.
08-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Here is more than you ever wanted to know about eels.
I found nothing about a ban, but a reduction in the daily limit is mentioned in the asmfc minutes.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underwater_sous-marin/american_eel/eel-anguille_e.htm
http://www.asmfc.org/meetings/february2005MtgWk/documents/AMERICANEELBD.pdf

Nebe
08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
those monster eels are good for something :faga:

Iwannakeeper
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
I will throw my $0.02 in, even though no one asked..... :laugha:

Most people I have met through here and through MSBA are true sportsman, who take pride in being sportsman. That said, I then believe that most people will obey the laws.

True sportsman do not break the law in search of their quarry. This is a very slipperly slope. Eels are very likely the best bait when going after cows. But who can deny the effectiveness of herring in the spring - or when using macks when the are around. And I hazzard to guess most people here do not violate the herring run rules. Same would hold true with Macks.

I would certainly miss eels, but I wouldn't violate laws to catch stripers. I guess catching fish doesn't mean enough to me to violate laws. Catching fish is also less important than my pride, and my pride in being a sportsman.

-IWK

Nebe
08-15-2005, 09:00 AM
in RI the porgy size limit is something like 9 inches.... i dont know one person who obeys that law.

Mike P
08-15-2005, 10:34 AM
COULD happen but I say only get your illegal eels from people you trust and have known for years :uhuh: :uhuh:

I have a lot of clients who subscribed to that theory for buying their drugs ;)

Unfortunately, people who do illegal things sometimes get caught, and their way of getting out of it is to offer to rein in other saps for the cops :humpty:

Roger
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
in RI the porgy size limit is something like 9 inches.... i dont know one person who obeys that law.

It's 10.5 inches. Geez, I guess the jokes on me, I thought the laws mattered.

Pete F.
08-15-2005, 11:27 AM
http://www.asmfc.org/meetings/february2005MtgWk/documents/AMERICANEELBD.pdf
This is the minutes of the American eel comission. In the minutes they talk about various options for the future including, changing the daily possesion limit from 50 to 25, prohibiting the taking of eels in some months of the year, etc. It is all theoretical at this point and very interesting. No one seems to know the percentage used for bait or food. Some members do seem to care about the bait market, but not all.
Pete

MakoMike
08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Recently most of the B&Ts in RI have been getting their eels from Canada, that's why the new Canadian rules are haviong an immediate effect. The guys I talked to last night say that there aren't many affordable domestic suppliers. The Canadians truck them down in tanker trucks, while the guys from MD truck them in totes and they say that the ones shipped in water arrive in better condition and last longer. None of this has anything to do with the ASMFC or any proposals they might come up concerning the eels.

likwid
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I can see it now, stings set up on the side of the canal

Maybe you haven't noticed the dark green trucks sitting in the parking lots with binocs?

Guess not.

They're always down there.

BrianS
08-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Nope..

The only green trucks Ive seen recently are military trucks.

Not to say they arent there.

but doesnt matter... because none of the millitary guys came up to me the other day offering to sell me black market eels.