View Full Version : Important news for canal rats

Squidmama
08-11-2000, 03:48 PM
Mike, we're so sorry to hear what happened to Brad. There is definetely too much of this stuff going on. Last year, members from our Mass. Stripe Bass. Ass. were roughed up at the Canal with some gear stolen, and I can tell you MANY more stories like that, especially when it involves my dear friends fisherwoman and baitcaster. It's absolutely sickening.

Richie called us last night from the Vineyard wanting to know how I'm making out with the MemoriaL award for Huff and I gave him the good news. He also told us that Mlllsey called him to tell him Charley's brother passed away last month. Did you hear anything about that? If its true, my God, poor charley. What she's been through these past months.

Hope all is well with you. When are you on-island? We'll be there Sept. 3rd.Can't wait.

Canalratt1
08-12-2000, 08:38 AM
Yes Charlies brother passed away. I don't know if you know any of her family but it was the brother that lived with her mother. Alls he did was stay in his room and drink and smoke. He had no friends and had a sad existence. Me and Ellen keep in touch with Charlie constantly and she's doing OK.

Mike P
08-12-2000, 01:56 PM
Hi Sherry, hopefully, I'll be on the Vineatrd the 9th of October until the following Sunday. The only snag is the phone company strike. My wife works for Verizon, as did several of the old Playland crew, and if they stay out a long time, money is going to be too tight for the trip, in which case I'll probably be at the Cape. But I have money put aside so I'll still be able to do Huff's memorial. Maybe if I can't make the Derby I'll at least hop on the ferry for the awards ceremony and take a taxi to OB.

You know, I've fished the Canal since I was six (with my dad, of course) and it's only the past few years I've heard of muggings there. Theft, yeah, that always happened, I got ripped off at the Run once and at Monument Beach another time. But it was always a place where I felt physically safe. Now, I'm very reluctant to hit some of the more remote areas at night, I don't ride the bike at night any more, and I especially stay away from the west end when the biker bars in Buzzards Bay have last call. A friend of mine that makes two of me was approached by a guy with malice on his mind, ironically the very night Huff passed away. The guy asked him if he was alone, and took off like a flushed quail when he heard the voice of my friend's buddy. Then there was that business with Hatteras Jack being ripped off at the show. Sign of changing times, I guess. Sad.

Squidmama
08-13-2000, 02:47 PM
Tony, How's Charly doing? PLEASE tell her we were asking for her. I've been corresponding to her about Huffs Memorial Award keeping her posted. I'm hoping to hear from her. I've requested a picture of Huff that will be hung in the way station during the Vineyard derby

suidmama
08-13-2000, 02:51 PM
Mike, IF you do come on island for the awards ceremony, don't you dare take a cab to OB. We will be more than happy to pick you up at the ferry. Hopefully the strike will be over soon,( my brother works for Verizon). How are you feeling?

Canalratt1
08-14-2000, 10:42 AM
Hi She's doing pretty good despite all thats going on. Ellen talks to her about once a week. We are planning on going down for a weekend when she's ready for company. I printed some more "no Parking signs" for Huff and I'm going to drop them off this Sunday at the club for anyone who wants them.

Squidmama
08-14-2000, 01:45 PM
Tony, How can I get my hands on more of "Huffs No Parking signs"? Thanks.If you think of it, please tell Charlie we were asking for her.

Canalratt1
08-15-2000, 07:34 AM
I printed about 100 hopefully I'll be dropping some off at the Canal Sportsmans Club this weekend. If you want a few let me know where I can drop some off. I live in So. Weymouth.