View Full Version : HOME HEATING OIL PRICE

vineyardblues
08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
This should get a few people heated up :)

Any one "lock into" a price yet? Any pro/cons ? I called it was 225.00 per gal
OUCH............................... $618.75 per tank
Yes I am grumpy over this!

VB

BigFish
08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
I just got my hands on 330 gallons for free from 2 tank removals I did last week....charged them to remove it and I get to burn it at my new house! :happy: Yup! About $700.00 worth of oil for a doughnut! :kewl:

BigFish
08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Funny...I just had another customer call wanting me to remove 2 tanks and they are both 5/8 full...another 330 gallons of oil for me to sit on until I need it! That should last me a good chunk of the winter! :happy:

Mugz
08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm a new home owner and waiting to start a contract with an oil company........any advice? I have 1/2 tank that should get me through the summer.

vineyardblues
08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Larry, Correct me if I am wrong but are them old tanks also full of sluge ?
I remember when I got a new tank the old one had many many gals of looked like mud on the bottom?

MikeTLive
08-15-2005, 01:13 PM
what do you do with the empty tanks?
I'm still looking for a mostly dry tank that I can convert to a honking large hog cooker

Raven
08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
quote: This should get a few people heated up

thats for sure...the price of heating oil is now mental...:doh:

for everyone... remember that energy audits of your home are still free to identify (in the cold part of the year) where your house is loosing all of its
heat utilizing infared scanners.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
and for $14.00 dollars per sheet @ home depot you can buy a 4' x 8' sheet of foil backed styreen (sp) insulation board one inch thick, which can be easily cut to fit into any cold window (or doorway) that leaks heat (your oil) like no tomorrow. They are extremely light as a feather and if used mostly at night or when the temps dip into 20's they can make an amazing difference retaining your heat especially on the North side of the house.

BigFish
08-15-2005, 01:42 PM
In the bottom of the old tanks there is about 5-10 gallons of sludge that I clean out after I pump all the usable oil. Old tanks go to scrap yard after I cut them open and clean the sludge out!

The Dad Fisherman
08-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm still looking for a mostly dry tank that I can convert to a honking large hog cooker

also see if you can get your hands on an old Propane Tank.....they make a pissah smoker too

UserRemoved1
08-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Peter there is a WIDE disparity with what these guys are charging for prices. My dad just locked 2 weeks ago up in Cape Ned#^&#^&#^&#^& for 1.98/gal and I got quoted 2.69/gal here I said eff youuuuuu

Went to CK Smith and they gave me 2.45, I said BS let me speak to the mgr, got a call from the pres of the company and he gave me 2.20/gal on the spot...sometimes it pays to complain......

I called alot of places this year, and I'm sure lots of others are too....it's so freekin expensive it's gonna hurt lotsa people this year. I feel bad for the people that will have a hard time affording it and are already trying to make ends meet. This chit gotta stop soon....

BigFish
08-15-2005, 04:02 PM
You could not have locked that price in Scott...nobody up my way is locking prices right now for less than $2.45....they are almost guaranteed to be charging $3.00 a gallon and more over the winter! Guy I talked to today that delivers said he is paying $2.00 a gallon as of this morning...I don't know how these guys make any money?

UserRemoved1
08-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Already sent the contract back Larry. Done deal.

Oil futures 3 weeks ago were $1.65 a gallon....

Slingah
08-15-2005, 04:35 PM
im burning lots of wood this winter....and wearing sweaters :laughs:

BigFish
08-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Your lucky Scott....I recommend folks try to lock in a price around $2.50 or less asap! It ain't gonna get any cheaper as it gets colder! Slingah....you know a guy that gets free oil sometimes....be nice to him and he might hook you up! ;)

capesams
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
mason's are pissed off down here because they can't get old oil tanks anymore to use as mortor pin's....we had a full tank oil[day old oil] on this one job that we were going to have tranfered to my mother's house...tank removel guy said it was against the law for him to do that and could lose his lisc....bet it went to his house.

I had a brand new never used diamond plated oil tank I picked up and had it sitting on the shop porch...planning to set it up for heat....fire chief driving buy going to inspect another job site out spotted it...next thing I get a letter in the mail stating I'm in big %$%$%$%$'s ...had to have it removed and the whole area tested for contamation buy one of the lisc..tank remover's....300.00 for 15 min's of work.....he stood there,,looked at the deck then slid it into the back of his pick-up.....said your clear, nothing here...corse not you bonehead it's a new dry tank.....cause for grumpage for sure.........I'm out a new tank and big buck's for nothing.

BigFish
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Man CS you got hosed by that Chief....he didn't know his ass from his elbow...its not against any laws or codes to possess or transport a new/unused oil tank. Too late now but you could have called the state fire marshall about that! :doh:

capesams
08-15-2005, 05:35 PM
our new big city chief is from NY......trying to take over the town......he would have hounded every job we did from that point on...delay's that would be more costly in the long run for us and the customer. this is what we get for not hireing a local person for the job...

Karl F
08-15-2005, 05:37 PM
They also tell people it's illegal to pump oil out of old tank and burn it, "Oh, it's hazardous waste, we have to charge you for that".
Did it to my boss last year when he had his system replaced, another company told a co-worker same thing when he did his, (different comapnies), but ya stand there, and know damn well the guy taking the old tank, is gonna burn it :doh:, what can ya do, they all sing the same song.

BigFish
08-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Yeah...your not supposed to transport it but I do! I am not a fool.....and I tell customers outright, I do have to charge them for having to remove it but I charge alot less than some companies would charge them...and I tell them where its going! They are not stupid and I don't treat them like they are. ;)

BigFish
08-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Funny....you can carry "X" amount of gerry-cans full of gasoline and thats ok, but carry home heating oil the same way and its illegal??? What ever!

mikecc
08-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Just filled up today at $2.06 gal ,380 gallons, ouch . buIf I burn wood (1 cord) and keep an eye on what we do i will not have to fill up again till March.

Lock in price from my dealer right now is $2.40

vineyardblues
09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Ok,
Glad I started this thread before the price of gas and oil went sky high!

But now I have a new question. What happens to my contract that I put my name on? Is it still good? Do they have to give me my home heating oil for 2.25 if in the real world it's way over that ?
nul and void ?

VB

zacs
09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
my guess is they will try to back out. most contracts have some sort of "act of god" clause, or a "force majeur" clause. They will try to use that to back out.

I hope not, but I am afraid so.

_Z_

Raven
09-01-2005, 02:45 PM
you have to be locked in to a certain price....just like what Mike said...

my neighbor surveyed 20 diferent oil companies until we found the lowest price around ...and it can vary as much as 40 cents per gallon of heating oil
depending on where you buy it... so if they dont honor your contract
you drop them like a hot potatoe...but generally theres a cut -off date
in september or so....but by then the price could escalate...so better to call around and shop via your telephone....

and also like mike said...i'm planning on cutting six cords of wood in the next 6 weeks to off set my heating costs considerably..in addition to putting the shrink wrap plastic on the draftiest windows on the porches and sticking cut to fit 1 inch thick styrene board panels in our single pane cellar windows
so the cellar (man cave) stays warmer for turning plugs. :)

another thing....to know...on your oil heater theres a air intake sleave valve
that adjusts how much air your furnace gets to aid in burning the heating oil....to little air makes for a nasty oily smell like being behind a school bus..
and to much can blow out the flame. if you get your furnace serviced under a "contract" make sure that it's done correctly...and be sure and listen for that ballsy rumble that indicates a bad motor bearing about to let go....i did that and the heater guy installed a brand new motor. :btu:

The Dad Fisherman
09-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Can you say "Pellet Stove"....I've had mine for 8 years now and it works pissah.

Raven
09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
hemy hemy hemy heh heh heh
i love to split wood....

i eat those friggan wood pellets instead of cereal ---great fiber food

happiest when there's saw dust in my beard .....:laugha:

Pete F.
09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Ya know I have not burnt wood since we built the new house 9 years ago, this weekend i start cuttin :uhoh:
And I ain't happy
Raven I'll have plenty for you to split and pile if ya really luv it

Raven
09-06-2005, 05:00 PM
mmm- mmm ....tried to lock in at $2.23 per gallon prepaid before delivery
same as my only neighbors did...with the same company and they(oil company) didnt/ wouldnt return my calls
until now (after the deadline) and told me $2.75 per gallon :shocked: PFFFF they are crazy...if they think their gonna deliver oil next door for 50 cents less per gallon than -> for me right next door...
thats just wrong... my neighbor's gonna have a serious discussion with them
and maybe even cancel as a new customer all together.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
but i'll tell ya....when winter gets cold....really REALLY cold here in NEW England
you can bet that.....we'll be seeing numerous fires in homes ...and or
people dying from hypothermia (exposure) and being carried out of their homes in body bags. :doh: