View Full Version : New and have a question(s)

SocalStriper
08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Currently I'm fishing at a Southern California lake for stripers.

All I throw is artificials because I think bait is cheezy.

I've been doing alright lately with the topwater bite on 7.5" High Roller Rip Rollers in Red/white.

The biggest fish I'm catching are 6lbers, but I know there are A LOT of 8-12 and some 15-25lbers.

Basically my question is simple; How can I weed through these smaller fish?

Also please post some websites that link me directly to very shallow swimming plugs and topwater plugs.

I need to try something new.

btw: I am a shore fisherman : ( but I've been doing better than some of the boaters. Unfortunately where the Inlet is, it is illegal to fish due to a few deaths. (from shore) I need a boat don't I. lol

Rigs I use: 8' shimano Terramar w/ Daiwa Millionaire 300cvx (ripping plugs/ Trout Swimbaits) and 10' Shimano Clarus Salmon/Steelhead rod w/ 445 Penn spinning reel (For walk the dog baits) and for throwing in the Inlet/canal.

eelman
08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
First we here fish stripers in saltwater a tad different from where your fishing, but I would say one thing is the same, you cant pick the size! be patient and a big one will eventually hit.

You say bait is chezzy but its a fast way to a good fish!

Try live eels at night :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

SocalStriper
08-15-2005, 02:14 PM
lol I'll be sure to pick up some live eels at walmart. :tooth:

Raven
08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
http://www.aa-fishing.com/ca/california-striper-fishing.html

Striper1
08-15-2005, 05:47 PM
BIG BAIT=BIG FISH :kewl: :faga:

JohnR
08-15-2005, 07:04 PM
You might want to try some bigger wooden swimming lures, deeper diving stuff. If there is a good current going, maybe a darter would do the trick? Or some suspending plastics?? How deep is the water?

Bill - no eels out there, at least not our type. But I did run into a fellow from Maine that worked at a shop in Sacramento that said the stripers hammered the 2 doz eels he brought out from Maine... Coulda been a fishtale too

Mike P
08-15-2005, 07:43 PM
You're fishing the topwater bite, and the more aggressive schoolies are what you're catching. Use something that will run 3-4 feet down. Bucktail jig, a weighted swim shad, a plug that dives. Match them to the size of the bait. If you see fish roiling the surface, work the edges---don't throw a surface runner right in the middle of them. You should be able to cull out the bigger fish if they're around.

SocalStriper
08-15-2005, 08:35 PM
water depth at longest cast is over 12', the problem at the moment is the weeds growing from the bottom. I'm fishing off points which have 2 shelf dropoffs. Today one of my favorite points was underwater :( so i had to fish a secondary one.

shelf:>>> ----------|2foot drop (fish>>><<<)
-------------|3'
--------\
\----------------

lol something like that.

the problem with diving lures is the weeds. I could probably get away with a 2 foot diver, but nothing more.

SocalStriper
08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
my great diagram is giving me problems. :exp:

JohnR
08-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Ahhh, you need a Ledgerunner soft plastic split tail rigged weedless and weighted across the hook - go to http://www.ledgerunner.com/