View Full Version : Is the old guard losing it?

Pages : [1] 2

eelman
08-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Are we who have 20 years in the surf or more slipping? is a new breed of hero emerging? Is Eben the new master? Maybe the drive is gone, maybe we cant keep up with these young bucks? does it matter if you fish 7 nights a week? Hmmmmmmmm

Is it possible that stripers now have a preference to plugs over eels?

Is the 9 to 5 every 3 day fisherman onto something?

I say hail to Master Eben, king of the August surf !! :crying: :crying:

:rotf2: :rotf2:

BigFish
08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Yup! There is a new sheriff in town and he slings wood! :cool:

afterhours
08-16-2005, 05:11 PM
i thought i heard that eben blows :biglaugh:

BigFish
08-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Only when he is working! :rolleyes:

JohnR
08-16-2005, 05:29 PM
OK - this really ain't a fishing topic - Flushed to the Scuppers...:buds:

Nebe
08-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I shine for 2 months- april and august :hihi:

Joe
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
In Narragansett/South County - the old guard is not too well-represented any longer. The last time I spoke with Andy Lemar he said he noticed a significant drop-off with respect to traditional, hard-core nocturnal surfcasters over the last ten years. This shift has been underway for quite a while.
Dusk and dawn anglers are pretty abundant as are the subsistance fishermen - but thats about it. I thought the price of gas would drive more people to the surf locally, but it has not.
This year has been a real bad one as several local legends have passed away.
Don't be surprised if Eben or somebody else we know well emerges - its not like there are a lot of guys investing time to become good fishermen. 36 pounds from shore could probably place in several clubs 2005 shore contests.

eelman
08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
hey joe! steve and I are still hard core! but your right I have said it over and over to steve on the rocks, "where is everyone" we see no one at night! and there are fish! not like it used to be........

eelman
08-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey john a little picky arent we??? moving the thread? :laugha:

piemma
08-17-2005, 05:05 AM
In Narragansett/South County - the old guard is not too well-represented any longer. The last time I spoke with Andy Lemar he said he noticed a significant drop-off with respect to traditional, hard-core nocturnal surfcasters over the last ten years. This shift has been underway for quite a while.
Dusk and dawn anglers are pretty abundant as are the subsistance fishermen - but thats about it. I thought the price of gas would drive more people to the surf locally, but it has not.
This year has been a real bad one as several local legends have passed away.
Don't be surprised if Eben or somebody else we know well emerges - its not like there are a lot of guys investing time to become good fishermen. 36 pounds from shore could probably place in several clubs 2005 shore contests.
1) It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
2) There are still a few of us "hardcore oldtimers" still out almost everynight. We are just quiet about it. In the old days before the internet no one except the "insiders" knew who was taking good fish.
3) Most of us DON'T post our success. You think I want every newbie standing in my bootmarks after I slam the fish?
4) Aside from my partner there's not 3 guys on this board who know all the good spots where I'ver been crawling. Why give up the keys to the kingdom.
AND finally....
5) While I haven't got a 36# bass this year. I have 30 fish over 15 and 5, 20# or better. All from shore. In the last 10 days 2 in the 20s and 6 in the mid-teens. 2 of those in the last 24 hours.You see any pictures or posts about my fish? NO.
You see the oldtimes like to stay low profile. It doesn't do us any good to advertise our success. :laugha:

spence
08-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I think the future of surfcasting is in designer plugs and color coordinating breathable attire.

Think a Van Staal get's a double take? Imagine the unshaved nods at 2am when someone's headlamp flashes the gold Versace "Medusa" badge on your wading belt.

It may not be well known, but the Army Corps of Engineers actually used a well worn Milan catwalk as the basis for most East coast jetty designs.

You wanted the truth #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I don't think you can handle the truth :rotf2:

-spence

Nebe
08-17-2005, 07:23 AM
I think the future of surfcasting is in designer plugs and color coordinating breathable attire.

Think a Van Staal get's a double take? Imagine the unshaved nods at 2am when someone's headlamp flashes the gold Versace "Medusa" badge on your wading belt.

It may not be well known, but the Army Corps of Engineers actually used a well worn Milan catwalk as the basis for most East coast jetty designs.

You wanted the truth #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I don't think you can handle the truth :rotf2:

-spence

:rotfl: :rotf2: :rotf2: :rotf2: :uhuh:

JoeP
08-17-2005, 07:58 AM
3) Most of us DON'T post our success. You think I want every newbie standing in my bootmarks after I slam the fish?

5) While I haven't got a 36# bass this year. I have 30 fish over 15 and 5, 20# or better. All from shore. In the last 10 days 2 in the 20s and 6 in the mid-teens. 2 of those in the last 24 hours.You see any pictures or posts about my fish? NO.
You see the oldtimes like to stay low profile. It doesn't do us any good to advertise our success. :laugha:

Amen Piemma.

While I am not an old-timer, I agree with everything you said. The less guys out at night, and less Internet report/spot postings bringing out more guys at night, is better for the guys that do go out at night.

The Internet is great for equipment talk, fishing tactics talk, "how to fish" talk, etc., but it is not a place to brag & potentially overcrowd spots.

Call me whatever you want, That is my opinion.

outfished
08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Amen Piemma.

While I am not an old-timer, I agree with everything you said. The less guys out at night, and less Internet report/spot postings bringing out more guys at night, is better for the guys that do go out at night.

The Internet is great for equipment talk, fishing tactics talk, "how to fish" talk, etc., but it is not a place to brag & potentially overcrowd spots.

Call me whatever you want, That is my opinion.

I'll second that :wiggle:

piemma
08-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the agreement guys. It just makes sense to me.

eelman
08-17-2005, 10:20 AM

-spence
A little confused by this post? what truth? I do confess I now wear breathable waders but thats it!

ThrowingTimber
08-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Piemma for President! :love: :uhuh: Saw Mr. Lamar out Sunday :uhuh:

Squibby17
08-17-2005, 03:35 PM
2) There are still a few of us "hardcore oldtimers" still out almost everynight. We are just quiet about it. In the old days before the internet no one except the "insiders" knew who was taking good fish.
4) Aside from my partner there's not 3 guys on this board who know all the good spots where I'ver been crawling. Why give up the keys to the kingdom.
AND finally....

I would say I'm of the new younger crew of fisherman. Do I possess the knowledge and where with all to get fish like you guys do... no. However the surf fisherman is a dying breed. I don't have any close friends who like to surf cast like I do.They may say they like fishing but don't want to walk the beached for hours on end in the middle of the night. At parties and stuff people laugh at me because in many cases I would rather be playing with an eel on a rock instead of getting drunk and hitting on girls. I got into surf fishing from my father who no longer cares to fish, at least not nocturnally.

I may get some back lash for this but here goes.

If you guys don't pass on your knowledge or at least take (nephews, friends sons etc) fishing the sport will diminish. Almost every one I know who fishes got into fishing from father figures etc. Don't deny that as older states men you may have some responsibility to pass on what you love. I can't wait to teach my kids (don't have any yet) to fish when they come of age. I think that would be more rewarding than catching a cow by myself.

piemma
08-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I do pass on my knowledge....just not to everyone. My partner is 26. I'm 58. he know what's up....

Joe
08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
I did not mean to infer that hardcore surfcasters are gone - just that there are less of them now than there was. I certainly did not mean any disrespect to the old guard.

The publicity thing is a slippery slope. Personally, I believe that there is a line that can be walked where fishermen can (and should) be noted, without being considered a braggart. I'm fascinated by the exploits of the ghost surfcasters. To me, the sin lies more in the lost knowledge - I believe that collectively, the sport is poorer for it. I’m not saying, "Fork over your spots, Paul." Just that so much has been lost.

With the Internet, it is certainly a two-sided sword. But I think that as time progresses the internet will prove more of a plus than a negative with a similar set of mores that accompany more traditional forms of interaction - that's already happening.

JohnR
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I may get some back lash for this but here goes.

If you guys don't pass on your knowledge or at least take (nephews, friends sons etc) fishing the sport will diminish. Almost every one I know who fishes got into fishing from father figures etc. Don't deny that as older states men you may have some responsibility to pass on what you love. I can't wait to teach my kids (don't have any yet) to fish when they come of age. I think that would be more rewarding than catching a cow by myself.

I agree, but the Internet is not necessairly the place to pass on all of that knowlegde, some yes, all of it no way. Surf Fishing in general cannot handle every secret out there and spots specifically cannot handle TMI, especially from the internet. I have seen many that share knowledge on the Internet, eventually fish together, and if and when that clicks, share far deeper knowledge. Perhaps that is a good use for the Internet Fishing.

I have seen many of the "sharpies" take people under their wings and pass on that knowledge. Some people will want to take things to the grave, human nature perhaps...

piemma
08-18-2005, 03:33 AM
This has become an interesting thread from a philosophical point of view. I had this discussion with Spence yesterday and Joe and John hit upon it.

The whole point is that the internet has changed the surf fishing scene. I think that when VHF and CB radios came upon the scene, the boat fishing world changed. Remember "laying around in my old pajamas". For you young uns' that was the code the old timers used to tell their friends that they were in to big bass on their boat.
So what's happened is that the internet has diluted the surf fishing scene because everyone knows as soon as someone catches a decent fish. It not like 10 or 12 years ago when we would hit the back beaches and the only way that anyone knew we did a number was if one of the baitshop owners, where we stopped to weigh fish for our club, told The Fisherman magazine about our "scores". And even then, by the time the mag came out the news was a week old. Remember they have fins and move.

So now on to sharing knowledge.
I freely share everything I know about this surfishing thing....with my close friends. The reason I don't post is, obviously, I don't want a mob showing up the next night. It's not a question of keeping all the fish to myself but a question of conservation pressure.

There was a situation is SoCo RI this past Spring where a couple of good fishermen were into fish at a certain spot and there was a report posted here. No specific but close enough so within 2 or 3 nights there were so many trucks parked on the side of the road and so many guys walking into a private spot that the police were going to erect "no parking" signs. Before the internet, this wouldn't have happened. Even with a "good" grapevine it would take a weeks for the news to travel and the place to get overrun.

I hope this post clears up any misconception that the old guard are keeping all the secrets from the new generation. Not the case at all. We just are judicious with who we share our knowledge.

ThrowingTimber
08-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Plus who else can ya call at 3am :angel:

piemma
08-18-2005, 06:08 AM
....and you know your call is always welcome. :boots:

capesams
08-18-2005, 06:16 AM
I agree with all the above..method's..plug's...jig's...eel's etc. havn't really change all that much and how to use them over the passed [let's just say a long time]...what I've seen is the loss of fishing turf[land] with all the people that moved in to live near the water. atleast here anyway.Alot of the good fisher's have given up because of this...they had endless mile's of free space with no one coming out to kick them off..not today..it's a whole new game. Yes some have passed, but for the most part they just gave up because of the lack of LOST productive SPOT"S. that and the lack of good fish.The good old day's are gone...enjoy what little is left.

piemma
08-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Amen. Capesams is right. We will never have what we had. I remember when you could ride the Back in the middle of the night and see maybe one or 2 other trucks. Now it's like 95 at noon. We never knew how good we had it. 30s and 40s all night till your arms were so tired you could hardly fight another fish. Now a 40 would be headlines.

Mr. Sandman
08-18-2005, 07:21 AM
I have met several old timers that don't fish at all anymore and have not fished in a number of years. They are very bitter out it too. Reason: Restriced Access. They use to go anyplace they please and now can't. Access is restricted now. The bird thing also has me POed lately...The beach here is STILL closed. All summer we lost, all summer. I want to make a stink but I know I will get piled on by the plover lovers and be despised for years to come.

With regard to passing on info…I don’t think you need to tell all your secrets, just take a kid fishing. I make it a point to sacrifice some time on the boat and on the beach each year and take others fishing, even if I really don't want to. I gave up a great offshore trip cause I had scheduled to take some kids out this week. It was a tough call for me. I get asked (from friends) to take kids from time to time and this past week has been my "give back" week. I took a good friends’ grand children who have never fished before (yet come to MV each summer). These kids were 13-18. It was a slow day for me but a great day for them. One kid boated an 8.5# fluke and he could tell from my excitement that it was a great catch. I told him he must eat this fish tonight to fully enjoy the day.Another kid I took out yesterday (friend of my son) lives here and has been out once before on a party boat and caught a sea bass. He is 9 yo and wanted to catch anything big. We went blue fishing. An 8#er was the biggest we could muster but he was thrilled. I mean my son could not believe how excited he was about landing this blue fish. Want to expand the sport?…Take some kids fishing; keep it simple. It will rejuvenate your appreciation for a good day on the water and one of them may take to it like you have and be grateful to you for the rest of their life for introducing the sport to them. And if they don't, at least they will not be ignorant about it from now on.

Raven
08-18-2005, 07:50 AM
OK - this really ain't a fishing topic - Flushed to the Scuppers...:buds:

:rocketem::lurk:which makes it....................................:laugha:

Raven
08-18-2005, 07:54 AM
It will rejuvenate your appreciation for a good day on the water and one of them may take to it like you have and be grateful to you for the rest of their life for introducing the sport to them.

And if they don't, at least they will not be ignorant about it from now on.

very well spoken,,,,all of it, but this in particular. :btu:

Pete_G
08-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Are we who have 20 years in the surf or more slipping? is a new breed of hero emerging? Is Eben the new master? Maybe the drive is gone, maybe we cant keep up with these young bucks? does it matter if you fish 7 nights a week? Hmmmmmmmm

Is it possible that stripers now have a preference to plugs over eels?

Is the 9 to 5 every 3 day fisherman onto something?

I say hail to Master Eben, king of the August surf !! :crying: :crying:

:rotf2: :rotf2:

Getting back to the original question, I'd definitely say a lot of younger guys are hitting their stride and thankfully more are getting into surf fishing. I see a lot of younger guys coming into the shop, buying the right things, and asking the right questions. While it's not so much the old guard losing it, it's just the natural evolution of the younger crowd.

For example, just take a look at the shop's staff; Earl, Arden, and Rob who are all under 25 years old (definitely still young by most standards) and all already have fish over 30#'s from shore this year including Earl's Newport County Fishing Club leading 37# fish. They all fish hard and primarily at night. Arden also had a 43# fish in the Newport surf last year and others taken from shore in Montauk. That said, they all avoid the Internet and have learned some of what they know from the Ironman and even more so the old fashioned way, time on the water in the dead of night.

As for keeping surf fishing alive in the future, that's up to us and especially fishing shops. The best way I've found to get kids into fishing (once the idea is their heads) is to actually have them catch something so pointing them in the right direction and teaching them the basics is key. Out of all customers that come into the shop, almost none get as much free gear and attention as kids interested in fishing. I'd have to say that's another negative in regards to losing more and more tackle shops to e-business. Hanging around a hardcore fishing shop when I was a kid definitely got me going in fishing.

Since there is some access discussion in this thread, I'll also add that Castle Hill in Newport has been lost due to trash...

Slipknot
08-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Since there is some access discussion in this thread, I'll also add that Castle Hill in Newport has been lost due to trash...

:bc: :af: :af: :wall:

Pete_G
08-18-2005, 08:35 AM
:bc: :af: :af: :wall:

They're taking it seriously for now, complete with a security guard. Maybe come September or maybe early in the spring he won't be there, but for now no one can get in there.

Squibby17
08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Lots of great stuff posted on this thread.

I agree with most of what has been said. I 100% agree about spot burning. You would have to be crazy to post the size of fish and the exact location of your success. I have had my favorite hole get much more crowded in recent years and I'm not happy about it. I look at this site and think its very usefull in several ways. I gain lots of knowledge and different perspectives on fishing. I also think that just talking about something we all love makes me excited to throw my line in the water the next time.

In some ways younger anglers like myself can be bitter. I'm 24, I missed the glory days. In the early 90's It was difficult for me to get my first keeper, seeing the size had to be 36'' and the Striped Bass stocks were in troubled times. I honestly had to work a lot harder to get nice fish than many of you did in your youth. I don't see an older fisherman and think, "hey your almost killed the striper industry with your lack of conservation", but its something to think about. That said veteran anglers can pass on knowledge that is usefull to first timers etc. Most notably to respect one another, don't leave trash on the beach, move when the guy next to you has a nice fish on ... etc. There is a right and wrong way to surf fish.

piemma
08-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Lots of great stuff posted on this thread.

I agree with most of what has been said. I 100% agree about spot burning. You would have to be crazy to post the size of fish and the exact location of your success. I have had my favorite hole get much more crowded in recent years and I'm not happy about it. I look at this site and think its very usefull in several ways. I gain lots of knowledge and different perspectives on fishing. I also think that just talking about something we all love makes me excited to throw my line in the water the next time.

In some ways younger anglers like myself can be bitter. I'm 24, I missed the glory days. In the early 90's It was difficult for me to get my first keeper, seeing the size had to be 36'' and the Striped Bass stocks were in troubled times. I honestly had to work a lot harder to get nice fish than many of you did in your youth. I don't see an older fisherman and think, "hey your almost killed the striper industry with your lack of conservation", but its something to think about. That said veteran anglers can pass on knowledge that is usefull to first timers etc. Most notably to respect one another, don't leave trash on the beach, move when the guy next to you has a nice fish on ... etc. There is a right and wrong way to surf fish.
Man, what a great post!!!!

BassyiusMaximus
08-18-2005, 11:02 AM
. . . from a kid whose father used to take him to spend entire weekend days fishing from jetties to catch scup and an errant bluefish, and on bridges on cold fall and spring days to catch what used to be endless winter flounder.

Those were the days.

A good number of topics are raised in this post. One is of pics and I have a couple of views on them since I just learned how to post them and have been doing so. I know some don't because they know they catch fish and don't need to share their image or post a fish for the world to see. Some don't want to or can't take the scrutiny involved, like Manny Ramirez who doesn't like people prying into his private life, some can't take reading when someone challenges them on the size of a fish or that they weren't wearing their PFD, etc. Some don't want to potentially harm the fish by taking the time to set it up and take the shot which humors me because they are harming the fish in a way just by hooking and tiring and fighting it so is the little time really doing anything in the big-picture? For all intents and purposes, a fish fighting underwater is no different than either snagging the bottom or having someone stand and pull on the end of one's line and reeling and tugging with the rod, but don't get me wrong, the thrill and uncertainty is what has us hooked. The main reason I see for posting pics is for other people to look at and to see what other people are doing, it is a very pleasant escape for some. Imagine sitting inside, like all us internet users do and be able to go online and instantly be transported to someone elses world, with a picture? It is why Hollywood exists as well as magazines. I post pictures because my neice and nephew as well as friends, relatives and all their kids can look and get so happy when they see either themselves or me with fish on the computer. They tell me to post the pictures so they can look at them and long for the day when they are old enough so I can take them at night to go fo the big ones.

With regards to spot-burning, aren't we supposed to share, to a certain extent? I know that I've gone to all my spots and in all my years I don't ever see anyone there when I go there, so I guess from my rose-colored boat-view I don't worry about a flotilla showing up if I give up where I'm catching and on what tide and time of day/moon phase, this could be vastly different from the shore/surf/pier/jetty fishermen but I'm solo and don't mind helping others get "close" to a good spot and getting some luck.

As with all the things I'm into, and being single and kidless, all my buddies who got married, had kids, gotten injured, there are so many factors as to why they can't go and do all the fun things they used to do it is hard to nail down.

I think most importantly that the number of people who fish and who go on these sites is so minimal that it makes almost no difference, at least in my eyes. Remember in the late 90's at the height of the dot-com/dot-bomb and " . . . the internet is going to change the world . . . " and that everyone would be online, well how wrong were they?, the vast majority don't go online and expecially fishermen, none of all the guys I know who fish check out any fishing sites, same goes for all the guys I know who snowmobile or dirtbike, while the forums are most interesting and informative for me, they could give a Bass's-behind about what is on the World-Wide-Web.

All in all this is interesting and I'm glad that sites like this exist. When it comes down to it it reminds me of a Law and Order episode where this mother against a "Shock-Jock" goes on to shoot the "Jock" and in the final scene it shows the lawyer just going over to the radio while the other attorneys/detectives were listening and just turns the radio off, the scene went right to black after that, the point being, if you don't like it, you don't have to listen/look. There are enough people getting offended by this that and the piping plover, no one wants it here.

And that's all I got to say 'bout that.

capesams
08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
there was a time that surfer's were so tite lipped you could hear a frog fart under water 3 mile's away...not today,, ....information? deep dark secret's? my god men there's the internet/countless book's/mag./video's/fishing club's. the info. is endless.....and nothing has changed as to how to catch a fish...so where is all this nobody tell's us anything crap coming from...???

vineyardblues
08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I have to jump on this one :)

Burning a spot: A quick story from 10+ years ago, I was in a B/T shop (on MV) talking with the guys,when the old question came up.you going out tonight? Sure am, Well he told me to go to xyz "tons" of fish :)

Well I never did go to xyz spot I went to another one,and guess who I ran into in the middle of the night? The island guide who told me to go to another location! lol true story

Young fisherman taking over? Not in my book, Just that the older people have died . lol And them young kids can type a lot faster on the internet!

And lets all remember luck has a lot to do with fishing :)

VB

Krispy
08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
old people smell funny :hidin:

vineyardblues
08-18-2005, 12:33 PM
KRISPY, NICE LURE

piemma
08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
use to meet guys on the back and say where's the fish? Oh, we killed em down at Highhead. Run all the way to Highhead and there's nothing but Mung! :ss:

Mike P
08-18-2005, 12:43 PM
I never believed in handing out snow jobs, altho many of my old crew did. I figured I'd get less grief in the long run by not saying anything than by sending people on a wild goose chase. At least I acted that way with the regulars. Pilgrims, well, yeah, I will admit to screwing with them a little :devil2:

Years ago, some of my crew hit some nice fish (35 up to 50) at the opening to Edgartown Pond. The late Clyde the Guide was pushing them hard to get them to tell where those fish came from. They told him Pogue Light on eels :D

Sometimes you could tell people the truth and they wouldn't believe you. I stumbled over a pile of fish from mid-20s to low 40s bucktailing Wasque late at night. I kept one 38# for the table (we had about 15 of us staying at the campground), and even my best friends didn't believe me when I told them it came from Wasque :hihi:

outfished
08-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I catch stripers in Waldon pond all the time, doesn't anyone else? :walk:

t.orlando
08-18-2005, 01:48 PM
AND finally....
Nicely said Piemma. Some not so oldtimers can keep it quiet too. Does a fish count if you dont post about it.

ThrowingTimber
08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
No T. you need pictures :hidin: :buds:

Nebe
08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
No T. you need pictures :hidin: :buds:

you do if your in the plugathon :hihi:

ohhh the thought of 42 custom plugs :buds: :rtfm:

ThrowingTimber
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
:drool:

Nebe
08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Excuse me, 48 :hee:

TheRattBoy
08-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm old school and having said that I will tell everyone ...NEVER believe me when I tell you where I caught the fish...just the way I was taught . :faga: :hee: johnny

Bernzy
08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Excuse me, 48 :hee:

I havent had my turn yet :musc:

Sept. 21-Oct. 2 :happy:

Bernzy :ss:

ThrowingTimber
08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Young bull.... Old bull... :read: :hidin:

JohnR
08-18-2005, 05:05 PM
OK - this turned into such a good thread (never was really a bad thread, I may grabbed the wrong one :eek5: ) that it's going back upstairs

eelman
08-18-2005, 05:28 PM
This thread wsa supposed to be a funny topic because of ebens fish I am glad it turned into something usefull.

I want to be honest without being nailed for it so here goes. I have tried to warm up to people and take them fishing, It always turns out bad, always, they burn spots, take tons of friends and cant keep there mouths shut. Maybe if they showed some respect, they would get some and a little more knowledge. I am very, very, very carefull now who I would take if anyone, I fish with Steve and thats it. I have come to know PIEMMA And I really feel I can trust a guy like that, I would never lie to him, he has fished with some old timers That I have the utmost respect for and, I dont have that for many people. I act like a total Ahole at times and well thats 70% for fun on these boards but make no mistake, I take fishing extremely serious and I have worked very hard and lost thousands or hours of sleep to get where I am at now, I am scared to ever risk it.

A very few people here now where I fish and that scares me! so far no one has burned me and I respect that. I just feel that evey newble I have met is either and instant hero, wants a 50 yesterday, or is basically not willing to listen, but worse than all that all they seem to want is spots nothing else! I hate that, in my opinion thats what I call a "suck" Find your own fish is my attitude now but look, wouldent you feel better if you did it that way?

So overall? I dont care to much for the new guard I have met, there are a couple but not more than that. They have no idea that we who have done this for 20yrs or so have seen it all, guys who go all out and then quit after a few seasons, guys who resent you because you wont take them to your spot etc, I have seen and heard it all!

The whole attitude now is different, I will stick with the old timers, and the steves of the world, they just get it!

Nebe
08-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Bernzy..... game on! :musc:

afterhours
08-18-2005, 05:52 PM
i love the oldtimers, learned so much from them. i am also impressed with some of young guns there i have met, true students of our sport. i feel that these guys will carry the torch well!

Karl F
08-18-2005, 06:03 PM
The old guard ain't lost it, the new guard ain't found it, for the most part, and if they did, that might miss it. :hidin:
Several good points in a lot of the posts here, lot to sift through :read:

I remember in the late seventies/eary eighties driving several miles out on the beach, pull up to a post to drain the kidneys, and out of the dark a fist finds my nose! "WTF ya doin!???!! Ya pissin on my fish!"... Me, I'm like "What Fish?"
This guy had a few buried in the sand near the post, (a common practise with comms, back then)...... he saw me stop and came over as some folks had been stealing the buried fish back then, one noteworthy surfcaster was caught red-handed doing just that and threatened with loss of life if he ever showed up again... me, I just had to relieve myself.. and goofed up... was forgiven, as I wasn't a comm, just a googan.... now, I see guys come and park right on top of folks and set up enough lights to land small aircraft, and start casting right on top of ya... BBJ and I had one earlier this year do that, guy had no sticker to boot, and even told us of that, as he was pumping us for who what where and how many... good thing we had no clue :D
More info now a days for sure, how much of it is BS :huh:... welllll.......

:ss: :walk: :read:
and like BM says... "Write your own reports"
sorry if thats copy protected Dave ;)

Nebe
08-18-2005, 06:23 PM
This thread wsa supposed to be a funny topic because of ebens fish I am glad it turned into something usefull.

I want to be honest without being nailed for it so here goes. I have tried to warm up to people and take them fishing, It always turns out bad, always, they burn spots, take tons of friends and cant keep there mouths shut. Maybe if they showed some respect, they would get some and a little more knowledge. I am very, very, very carefull now who I would take if anyone, I fish with Steve and thats it. I have come to know PIEMMA And I really feel I can trust a guy like that, I would never lie to him, he has fished with some old timers That I have the utmost respect for and, I dont have that for many people. I act like a total Ahole at times and well thats 70% for fun on these boards but make no mistake, I take fishing extremely serious and I have worked very hard and lost thousands or hours of sleep to get where I am at now, I am scared to ever risk it.

A very few people here now where I fish and that scares me! so far no one has burned me and I respect that. I just feel that evey newble I have met is either and instant hero, wants a 50 yesterday, or is basically not willing to listen, but worse than all that all they seem to want is spots nothing else! I hate that, in my opinion thats what I call a "suck" Find your own fish is my attitude now but look, wouldent you feel better if you did it that way?

So overall? I dont care to much for the new guard I have met, there are a couple but not more than that. They have no idea that we who have done this for 20yrs or so have seen it all, guys who go all out and then quit after a few seasons, guys who resent you because you wont take them to your spot etc, I have seen and heard it all!

The whole attitude now is different, I will stick with the old timers, and the steves of the world, they just get it!

ouch...

bassmaster
08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
i did not see no one on the sand last night................

spence
08-18-2005, 07:39 PM
You guys kill me...

I'm 34, raised in Iowa and before a few years ago had never seen a tide chart in my life. I got into surf fishing when I discovered you could catch stripers from shore...had no idea...although I had caught many from boat.

All my gear is new because I've only been at it a few years.

I try to get out 1-2 times per week...and know very few locals who fish the same waters where I live. As such it isn't easy to learn the nuances of the spots or even new techniques.

Granted, I've never known the shore access of old, but it takes only a few seconds to realize how prescious what we have today is, and what a few irresponsible keystokes could do.

People like Piemma, RIRockhound and Eben have shown me a lot, and never asked for anything in return...except for Eben ;)

These issues of burning spots, not respecting locations or people etc...have everything to do with immaturity and a lack of class...and nothing with the new guard of surfcasters...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go polish my Versace wading belt.

-spence

cheferson
08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
These issues of burning spots, not respecting locations or people etc...have everything to do with immaturity and a lack of class...and nothing with the new guard of surfcasters...-spence

:claps:

Nebe
08-18-2005, 07:46 PM
People like Piemma, RIRockhound and Eben have shown me a lot, and never asked for anything in return...except for Eben ;)

dude, you got a hot wife... whats wrong with a couple of pictures :hihi:

Pete_G
08-18-2005, 08:02 PM

I don't think that you have met right people then. There are a lot of great young anglers out there, and most don't spend time online. You might even learn something... :hee:

When we put on a trash clean up in the spring or fall as many young guys come out as old timers, maybe more. I wouldn't dismiss them. Maybe you're hanging around the wrong shop or the wrong people something, most of the young surfcasters I know have a lot of respect for the old guard and are protective of the future of surfcasting.

I'm sure DZ and many others would back me up on that.

eelman
08-18-2005, 08:09 PM
ouch...
Eben , seriously there is " no game on" its just the way I feel. Hey look, you went to a spot, on your own and nailed a nice fish because you had a hunch, a feeling whatever, you did it on your own and fished with your gut! Thats Fishing!!

I tell people stuff and the reply is always the same "where do you fish though"
That just turns me right off ! The other thing is "how big were your fish last night" What the heck difference does it make? there fish aren't they? you cant pick size!!

I was told "how too" by many of the older guys but I was very rarely shown a spot, they said go find it on your own, it made me a better fisherman. I have met people along the way, mutual friends that know people etc.. and have lucked out on a few spots. I certainly dont feel bad about it, thats life and it happens, places like the breachways, I completly learned to fish on my own with trial and era, many lost jigs and more than a few guys yelling at me for not doing the rotation right! I fished past that toughened up my skin and became the guy doing the yelling :tooth: But hey surf fishing is hard work.

Once the old timers new you had what it takes they loosened up and once they new you were not trying to jump in there honey hole, they began to let you in the "circle" man when that happens it just feels good, you have earned your respect!!! welcome to the world of surf fishing! Things in 2005 are not anything like then however and it never will be again.

Pauls partner Gill who passed away, was one tough guy to crack! It must have took me 5 years before he would even sneeeze in my direction! But once I earned my place, he took me fishing, sponsered me to become a member in his club etc... we fished the cape several times, it was just a good feeling.

As far as fish? yes I am impressed when someone gets a good one, but I have so many 30plus pound fish, I am kind of numb to it, what really makes me take notice of a guy is CONSITANCY , one who has learned to catch on a constant basis a few years of that and you get noticed fast, now you have guys asking you!!

Everything I have ever said or done fish wise I could back up! I dont lie! I have pictures, witnesses, and a host of other things to back up my talk! So you can call me many things but a liar...nope....nota....I have nothing to prove at all, if you have caught it, I have caught it several times over, Show me consistancy, a willingness to find fish on your own, and you have earned my respect! You never want to get a rep as a liar in this game! really bad!!

As far as you Eben! I think your ok in my book, we have certainly had a few moments but I think we know where each other stands.We know where each other is fishing and its great that neither of us is stepping on the others toes, But I feel now that you wont do that and vise versa...your earning the trust!

Steve made a comment yesterday to me he said "did you hear what eban said"? I said what " he said, "If you new the hours and time it took to get this fish" That my friend speaks for itself!!!!!

Tight Lines

eelman
08-18-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't think that you have met right people then. There are a lot of great young anglers out there, and most don't spend time online. You might even learn something... :hee:

When we put on a trash clean up in the spring or fall as many young guys come out as old timers, maybe more. I wouldn't dismiss them. Maybe you're hanging around the wrong shop or the wrong people something, most of the young surfcasters I know have a lot of respect for the old guard and are protective of the future of surfcasting.

Sorry pete, I have fished wit DZ, I dont see him holding the hands of these guys, I have taken him to my spots and he has taken me to his.I like dennis alot, great guy.

I stick with what I said

basswipe
08-18-2005, 08:38 PM
You guys kill me...

I'm 34,

I try to get out 1-2 times per week...and know very few locals who fish the same waters where I live. As such it isn't easy to learn the nuances of the spots or even new techniques.

These issues of burning spots, not respecting locations or people etc...have everything to do with immaturity and a lack of class...and nothing with the new guard of surfcasters...

-spence

I'm with Spence.I'm not much older but I have been fishing locally all my life.Surfcasting as most define it here I've only been doing the last few years.

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& please don't take this personally but if you are a rep of the
"old guard" it doesn't sound all that grand.Fishing 7 nights a week from one end of the season to the other.Only trusting one or two people.Actually being "scared to risk it". I don't know you personally so this is only an observation but from what you've posted its sounds like you live a very lonely exsistance.And it sounds like most of the joy many get from fishing just isn't there for you.Again let me state not knowing you personally what I've said is a logical observation.For the most part your post IS very negative.But I
will agree finding and catching fish all on your own is very satisfying.

For me personally life's too short to be totally consumed by one thing.
There's women to be had or one woman many times if you're married or have a G/F as I do.There's places to go and things to see(a nascar race for example).

To be lumped into a group called the "new guard" doesn't bother me.

That's my .02.I hope none here take offense to it.

outfished
08-18-2005, 09:09 PM
This is the way I see it. I never ever mind sharing my spots with a couple of people I can trust(as far as I can judge) and if I can hook a rookie, youngster, newbie, call it what you want, I think protects our future in striper fishing. Think about it, if you went fishing a lot over a number of years and caught nothing because you didn't know what you were doing, would you continue? If on the other hand you went out early in your fishing life and caught some really decent fish because somebody showed where and how and now your hooked on fishing for the rest of your life and now you shared this art with other upcoming fisherpersons, wouldn't that help our sport by continued efficient management and preservation/concern for our sport? Yes I agree, a lot of leg work and detective work is in order for our sport and I have indured/wasted/enjoyed and learned the hard way over the years always yearning for someone to show me how. So now that I'm somewhat wiser in my fishing endevors I jump at the chance to turn someone special on to this great sport with the understanding that they be discreet about whom they blab to. We owe it to the future generations of striper fishing to keep it going long after we're gone.

eelman
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm with Spence.I'm not much older but I have been fishing locally all my life.Surfcasting as most define it here I've only been doing the last few years.

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& please don't take this personally but if you are a rep of the
"old guard" it doesn't sound all that grand.Fishing 7 nights a week from one end of the season to the other.Only trusting one or two people.Actually being "scared to risk it". I don't know you personally so this is only an observation but from what you've posted its sounds like you live a very lonely exsistance.And it sounds like most of the joy many get from fishing just isn't there for you.Again let me state not knowing you personally what I've said is a logical observation.For the most part your post IS very negative.But I
will agree finding and catching fish all on your own is very satisfying.

For me personally life's too short to be totally consumed by one thing.
There's women to be had or one woman many times if you're married or have a G/F as I do.There's places to go and things to see(a nascar race for example).

To be lumped into a group called the "new guard" doesn't bother me.

That's my .02.I hope none here take offense to it.

No offense taken, your right its a loney existance. Next to my wife and daughter its all I think about, all I want to do, what everything else revolves around! So Thanks for the compliment.

Sorry if the post is negative , however I have just been used and burned to many times by "inocent newbies" Surf fishing is done at night, its solitary, its dark, its you and the fish! Its not happy hour at hooters, fishing with an entorage.

eelman
08-18-2005, 09:20 PM

By the way pete, and I mean no disrespect here but, lest see, you work at a baitshop or own it I dont know...Of course those are the only comments you can make! these people are all customers!!

An being "online" means nothing I am online because I have nothing better to do all day and it passes time, its nice to be retired :p :p

outfished
08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& :kewl:

fishaholic18
08-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Bill, we gotta fish together one night, we think too much alike.. :devil2:

eelman
08-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Bill, we gotta fish together one night, we think too much alike.. :devil2:

:buds:

fishaholic18
08-18-2005, 09:27 PM
LOL :hidin:

outfished
08-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Got room for another slob? :tm:

fishaholic18
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Got blindfold????? :doh:

outfished
08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Got blindfold????? :doh:
That bad? :hidin:

fishaholic18
08-18-2005, 09:34 PM
If you look like your avitar...You're in! :hee:

outfished
08-18-2005, 09:37 PM
If you look like your avitar...You're in! :hee:
If I was my avatar I'd been in by now. I did find a beach last weekend with a couple feeemale nudied sunbathing. :biglaugh:

outfished
08-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Kinda suuked, had my GF's 14 yr old nephew with me fishing the surf

fishaholic18
08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I did find a beach last weekend with a couple feeemale nudied sunbathing. :biglaugh:
Lets fish there..... :point:

outfished
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Lets fish there..... :point:
I'll trade ya a spot, better yet I'll take you there. Somewheres in cape cod bay :hee:

fishaholic18
08-18-2005, 10:28 PM
I'll trade ya a spot, better yet I'll take you there. Somewheres in cape cod bay :hee:
I don't do trades........... :doh:
I want your avitar.....for a plug of course... :exp:

outfished
08-18-2005, 10:38 PM
I don't do trades........... :doh:
I want your avitar.....for a plug of course... :exp:

I'd give up my avitar for a plug...and a beer :gu:

bassmaster
08-18-2005, 10:53 PM
You guys kill me...

I'm 34, raised in Iowa and before a few years ago had never seen a tide chart in my life. I got into surf fishing when I discovered you could catch stripers from shore...had no idea...although I had caught many from boat.

All my gear is new because I've only been at it a few years.

Granted, I've never known the shore access of old, but it takes only a few seconds to realize how prescious what we have today is, and what a few irresponsible keystokes could do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go polish my Versace wading belt.

-spence
this is a way of life here and taken seriously
when You put time in and hard time, the last thing ya need is to have your spot burned
I been fishin all my life and was gifted and caught alot of large fish and alot of small fish also.
countless 30 and 40 lb bass
I have gone 1 year with only 1 fish that was 35.5 inches long any one remeber that decade :bsod:
I have fished the islands and sold bass , basicly the whole 9 yards.
My old map is gone but there was notes all over it and You know what,,,,
its time to learn other places here on the cape and I know alot of stuff here, to be a guide I gots to but one thing I do know is You never stop learning
the fishing has been hard here as the fish been of shore and isolated pods come in to chow the bait.
quite frank most of this post is friggen stupid
get of Ya duff put ya time in and make your own goddamn reports and stay the hell outa bait shops it aint worth the prize money trust me........

kippy
08-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Well said Dave, its all about putting your time in on the water. I have been surfcasting for 5 years and did not get my first keeper until last year. There were alot of fishless nights and self doubt. I stuck to it though and it's paid off. Fishing is not all about catching fish for me though, its about being outdoors. I think you become too frustrated if you expect to catch everytime your out there.

Back Beach
08-19-2005, 07:11 AM
The old timers that are still at it now are doing it for love of the sport. In the past, there was a monetary incentive to fish more and talk less. The money kept you at it longer and harder than it does now for the most part. Access on the backside of the cape and elsewhere is part of the issue too. Most of the old timers I know now fished for money in the past as it was good incentive, considering in today's dollars you could earn over $1000 a night if everything went right. If that were the case today, you would see a lot more people on the water during the wee hours.

Pete_G
08-19-2005, 07:44 AM
By the way pete, and I mean no disrespect here but, lest see, you work at a baitshop or own it I dont know...Of course those are the only comments you can make! these people are all customers!!

An being "online" means nothing I am online because I have nothing better to do all day and it passes time, its nice to be retired :p :p

Sorry pete, I have fished wit DZ, I dont see him holding the hands of these guys, I have taken him to my spots and he has taken me to his.I like dennis alot, great guy.

I stick with what I said

Trust me, if I feel like it, I'll call anyone or anything out on something. Like I'm doing now...

There are two people who would be considered "old guard" and have caught a lot more then "a 50" from shore that spend plenty of time helping the younger crowd in Newport. They don't give out spots (not their good ones anyways) but they definitely are very generous with everything else including their time. They live anything but "a lonely existence" but they are great surfcasters.

They're the old guard I respect and I can also perfectly respect being protective of spots; reference also any tuna thread on this board, I'm sure you'll notice me slamming the ProJo or anything else related to spot burning. Try taking everyone one at a time instead of assuming everyone younger then you is a useless, spot burning surfcaster.

To say "The whole attitude now is different, I will stick with the old timers, and the steves of the world, they just get it!" is completely ignorant. I really don't think there is a big divide between "new and old guard" anyways.

eelman
08-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Trust me, if I feel like it, I'll call anyone or anything out on something. Like I'm doing now...

There are two people who would be considered "old guard" and have caught a lot more then "a 50" from shore that spend plenty of time helping the younger crowd in Newport. They don't give out spots (not their good ones anyways) but they definitely are very generous with everything else including their time. They live anything but "a lonely existence" but they are great surfcasters.

They're the old guard I respect and I can also perfectly respect being protective of spots; reference also any tuna thread on this board, I'm sure you'll notice me slamming the ProJo or anything else related to spot burning. Try taking everyone one at a time instead of assuming everyone younger then you is a useless, spot burning surfcaster.

To say "The whole attitude now is different, I will stick with the old timers, and the steves of the world, they just get it!" is completely ignorant. I really don't think there is a big divide between "new and old guard" anyways.

If dennis does that, I am glad for him, I have nothing but good things to say about him! always nice always willing to help, on the new guy issue we may have different opinions and that is fine, its a free country. But dennis is good people.

Hey does this mean my money isnt green if I come into your store? :buds:

piemma
08-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I'd like to respond to Pete's post. I only met "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" about 4 months ago although I knew of him from my late partner Gil Guilletone. Gil had always told me that "Bill Nolan is a hardcore surfman and a good fisherman."
Bill is cut from a different cloth than the run of the mill surfcaster. He is passionate about his craft and to him it is a craft. It's not "just fishing" It part of who he is. I fish with a couple of guys who do not post on any internet site and they also believe that surfishing is "part of who we are".

Some of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s post rub some people the wrong way but, as with anyone who is passionate about something, this will happen. Bill is the consummate surfcaster, a dedicated surfman and a decent guy. He may state his opinions in a way that offends some people but who on this board has not offened someone.
let's keep this whole thing is perspecive. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I see no useful purpose served by calling people ignorant for what they believe in.
Now, that's my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

eelman
08-19-2005, 08:26 AM
well, maybe not as hardcore as I used to be but still love it !! And always will

Pete F.
08-19-2005, 08:36 AM
I agree with all the above..method's..plug's...jig's...eel's etc. havn't really change all that much and how to use them over the passed [let's just say a long time]...what I've seen is the loss of fishing turf[land] with all the people that moved in to live near the water. atleast here anyway.Alot of the good fisher's have given up because of this...they had endless mile's of free space with no one coming out to kick them off..not today..it's a whole new game. Yes some have passed, but for the most part they just gave up because of the lack of LOST productive SPOT"S. that and the lack of good fish.The good old day's are gone...enjoy what little is left.
Sounds like birdhunting at my house, I used to walk out the door and take a two hour walk, get lots of shots, now there is a house in every one of my favorite spots. I don't go much anymore.

Pete_G
08-19-2005, 08:54 AM
If dennis does that, I am glad for him, I have nothing but good things to say about him! always nice always willing to help, on the new guy issue we may have different opinions and that is fine, its a free country. But dennis is good people.

Hey does this mean my money isnt green if I come into your store? :buds:

You're always more then welcome in the shop, in fact we'd probably get along pretty well as I really enjoy spending hours talking with McKenna through the winter.

Sorry if I come off a little agressive on this subject; I just really don't share your view on the younger crowd.

We need more surfcasters like Dennis to protect access and generally be ambassadors of the sport; and without influence from guys like him there is the potential, as you put it, for us not to "get it".

Flaptail
08-19-2005, 10:34 AM
%$%$%$%$ like this is why I prefer to fish alone. :doh:

DZ
08-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Just a few thoughts about this thread:

We were all FNGs (googans) in the past.

Days of today will be someone's "old days" eventually.

You may think your spot is a secret – but you can be sure someone knows about it. They just turn around when they see you there.

For Flap: Amen - "I talk to myself while I fish – most times it’s the only company I want."

Excerpted from "The Snowstorm Blitz":
"Guys in the know who kept quiet were often bailing bass in relative obscurity. You tried to avoid crowds of anglers, kept a low profile and above all, didn’t talk.
It was considered an act of courtesy to not ask another angler where he caught his fish. If you did, you deserved a lie.”

For #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&: Where are you catching your fish? I know – "here and there"

Have a great weekend everyone.

DZ

eelman
08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Excerpted from "The Snowstorm Blitz":
"Guys in the know who kept quiet were often bailing bass in relative obscurity. You tried to avoid crowds of anglers, kept a low profile and above all, didn’t talk.
It was considered an act of courtesy to not ask another angler where he caught his fish. If you did, you deserved a lie.”

DZ[/QUOTE]

Now that pumps me up!! Awesome!

bassmaster
08-19-2005, 04:50 PM
%$%$%$%$ like this is why I prefer to fish alone. :doh:
then stop callin me U feak :hidin:

Flaptail
08-19-2005, 05:45 PM
then stop callin me U feak :hidin:

Excuse me but who really calls who? :doh:

Nebe
08-19-2005, 07:22 PM
If i fished with him i'd call him sweet phart :hihi:

I gotta get up there this fall some how some way.

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Excuse me but who really calls who? :doh:
hey u old phart call me

piemma
08-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Well, the old guard hadn't lost it last night. Old #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and I had 11 fish between 15 and 21 lbs. All on eels in SoCo RI. :jump:

JoeP
08-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Advance warning: This is meant in jest as a joke, take no offense.

Boy, while the "old guard" guys in here like to say how secretive and close-to-the vest they are, they sure like to post their successes all over the place - even in the PROJO - :jester:

Again -- just bustin.

piemma
08-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Come on Joe, I even told you were we got the fish...SoCo RI. How much more open can I be? :cputin: :uhuh: :wave:

tlapinski
08-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Here's a quick question, what do you consider "the old guard"? I'm 26, but I have been fishing for close to 20 years of my life. When I started out way back when, I fished just about as hard as I do now. Believe it or not, I was out all night long with my dad pounding the surf with eels and plugs from May into December. Ask my mom, it lead to my parent's divorce. I started out a little green as we all do, and I made my share of mistakes, but I learned from them. My dad would push me out of the truck with a small bucket of eels, conventional rod in hand, his old waders on me pulled up and cinched tight with an old belt, and drive down the beach until I couldn't see him any more. Before he left, he would tell me to fish until we met in the middle. I was out there learning the jetty rotation, how to fish plugs/jigs/eels/etc..., learning to read the beach, and so on before I sprouted my first short and curly.

Don't get so caught up on the age thing. Pre-judging us "young guys" does nothing more than make you look the fool. I know just as many, if not more, older bad seeds than I do young guys. I'm proud to be a part of the crew I run with. We are the future of this sport. Don't piss us off or cross us the wrong way, we'll be choosing which nursing home you'll be staying in... :jester:

Nebe
08-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Toby.. :buds: :lm:

eelman
08-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Here's a quick question, what do you consider "the old guard"? I'm 26, but I have been fishing for close to 20 years of my life. When I started out way back when, I fished just about as hard as I do now. Believe it or not, I was out all night long with my dad pounding the surf with eels and plugs from May into December. Ask my mom, it lead to my parent's divorce. I started out a little green as we all do, and I made my share of mistakes, but I learned from them. My dad would push me out of the truck with a small bucket of eels, conventional rod in hand, his old waders on me pulled up and cinched tight with an old belt, and drive down the beach until I couldn't see him any more. Before he left, he would tell me to fish until we met in the middle. I was out there learning the jetty rotation, how to fish plugs/jigs/eels/etc..., learning to read the beach, and so on before I sprouted my first short and curly.

Don't get so caught up on the age thing. Pre-judging us "young guys" does nothing more than make you look the fool. I know just as many, if not more, older bad seeds than I do young guys. I'm proud to be a part of the crew I run with. We are the future of this sport. Don't piss us off or cross us the wrong way, we'll be choosing which nursing home you'll be staying in... :jester:

I guess anyone who has 20 yrs or more in the suds, regardless of age!

BigFish
08-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Any of you "Old Guard" yank any 40's from the suds yet this season? :hidin:

Slingah
08-20-2005, 08:57 AM

ya, but do you got a fifty??? :tooth: :hee: :jester:

NIB
08-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Fifty's are overated.Alot of good anglers today don't have one yet.They are comin though.T lap would surely have one if he was from another era.

BigFish
08-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I agree NIB....thats why I don't have one yet! :bl:

fishaholic18
08-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Any of you "Old Guard" yank any 40's from the suds yet this season? :hidin:
:bl:

Slingah
08-20-2005, 09:11 AM
it was a joke NIB :tooth: ....im a wise arse....I dont doubt T-Lap is a good fisherman....that kinda what I meant
how big, how many, how long.....who cares...its fishing...thats my opinion, I know some people are super serious ....I like it to be fun

capesams
08-20-2005, 09:13 AM
20 year's = young sprout

44 yr's= old

60 yr's = I bow to them and say yes sir.

NIB
08-20-2005, 09:29 AM

U know I always try to keep a open mind.when reading into people.I can't help myself on this one.Eel dude perhaps if u take a few steps away from the computer an make believe ur me.Then read this post.sounds to me like ur pretty full of urself.Nobody with any class wants to fish in another mans bootprints.Share what u know i have seen some good posts by u.Perhaps u can change things, perhaps nobody took the newbloods by the hand an told them how to act.driving a wedge in only will make matters worse.Its all about respect an in order to get it u have to give some.I am by no means young anymore or new to the sport.dressin like johnny Cash, cuffin ur smokes,the only time u turned a light on was to get the hook out of ur hand.I fished primarily from 12 midnite till false dawn an no matter how good u where gettin em u had to leave or be seen.thats how i was taught.I don't take things to those extremes anymore.I do certainly guard my privacy though.The shop down the street that takes the pics of every fish an puts pics in the paper runs a contest wit a sizable cash prize.He has my name on the board in second the last 2 yrs.i was the only one wit no pics.Never do u see my name in the paper or for that matter do i call myself a surf magician say ya i got a fifty.(I might if I had one).my truck has no tell tale signs on a fisherman inside.no stickers nothing looks like a work van.The point is; the devil won't get ur goat if he can't find it.The internet is a great thing filled wit info any starvin for S-B young buck can sink there teeth into.It for those that know Like Urself an Mike P to share.I truely believe in karma...Time is a at a premium these days an the corner tackle shop BS is basically a thing of the past.the new way is the internet embrace it or don't.the choice is ours.

NIB
08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
how big, how many, how long.....who cares...its fishing...thats my opinion, I know some people are super serious ....I like it to be fun

Thats what it's all about brother.to each there own.
Fishin is not the same for everone.i enjoy the sport, the hunt an the finally conquest.I cannot disregaurd all the fine friends I have made along the way.It's my life an i am enjoyin it.A good fish is just icing on the cake.

NIB
08-20-2005, 09:38 AM
20 year's = young sprout

44 yr's= old

60 yr's = I bow to them and say yes sir.

Thats the way I was told.
Now can u make 45=old.

NIB
08-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I'd like to respond to Pete's post. I only met "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" about 4 months ago although I knew of him from my late partner Gil Guilletone. Gil had always told me that "Bill Nolan is a hardcore surfman and a good fisherman."
Bill is cut from a different cloth than the run of the mill surfcaster. He is passionate about his craft and to him it is a craft. It's not "just fishing" It part of who he is. I fish with a couple of guys who do not post on any internet site and they also believe that surfishing is "part of who we are".

Some of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s post rub some people the wrong way but, as with anyone who is passionate about something, this will happen. Bill is the consummate surfcaster, a dedicated surfman and a decent guy. He may state his opinions in a way that offends some people but who on this board has not offened someone.
let's keep this whole thing is perspecive. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I see no useful purpose served by calling people ignorant for what they believe in.
Now, that's my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I'm sure he is a good guy .For some reason the written word is not always conveyed in the same matter as if spoken.
(part of who we are)
thats what makes our little internet community so special we all share part of who we are for the love of the sport.In this thread BM an Flap have shown their dissaproval of this thread along with DZ.Now I have read an witnessed countles presentaions or how to's by all three of these fine fisherman.

piemma
08-20-2005, 10:58 AM

Toby, I have fished with you and you are one of the "old guard". So is Bryan, (RIrockhound.) I think the old guard is more of an additude than an age issue. When I think of the old guard i think of guys that stand the midnight watch, fish is the rain, wind, high seas. They will walk a couple of miles over and around boulders to get to one good fish. They go the extra distance to get that one good fish.
Tim Coleman wrote an article a number of years ago entitled "The Last Man Walking". If you are out in the surf at the end of November, 20 degrees and the wind NW at 25 looking for that one last fish then I think you qualify as the old guard.

Squibby17
08-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Thats what it's all about brother.to each there own.
Fishin is not the same for everone.i enjoy the sport, the hunt an the finally conquest.I cannot disregaurd all the fine friends I have made along the way.It's my life an i am enjoyin it.A good fish is just icing on the cake.

I think this thread show the difference in personalities as well as importance.

I don't know #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& but I enjoy 85 % of what he posts. What we must understand and what he must understand is there are maybe only a dozen guys in the north east coast who fish as often or as hard as he does from the shore. To him thats a compliment. I would prob never dedicate that much time to surf fishing. I love it but it doesn't consume my life. Does that mean I don't "get it" maybe but I'm fine with that.

:topic: I have other passions too. I could probably out ski all of you in the winter. You may going skiing once and a while but I'm ver serious about it. I could tell you the best spots to ski after a certain storm. The honey holes for powder and isolation. Where hidden trails are but that would be "spot burning". :kewl:

To each and to ones own

tlapinski
08-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Fifty's are overated.Alot of good anglers today don't have one yet.They are comin though.T lap would surely have one if he was from another era.
Why the assumption that I don't have one? Just asking, not trying to start with you NIB, we already went down that dead end street with each other. As it has been said, too much emphasis has been put on that by some. To each his own, though, as no one should be judged on their personal goals. One's accomplishments or time spent in the surf, however, should not go to one's head either. Some guys (and girls) just have "it". Just because one person has spent 60 years in the surf, while another only 5, is one any better automatically? Not at all. If you put quality time in, keep track of what/where/when works and what doesn't, you don't need to spend all night every night out beating yourself up. I would rather spend 2 quality hours in the surf catching, than 6 hours looking for those 2 hours of fish. That allows me to get up the next day and scout new water, snorkel water I fish to look for bait, and make my next night more successful than if I spend the whole day sleeping and regaining my energy. Maybe the "new guard" is just a bit wiser :hihi: ...

JoeP
08-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Piemma -- I told you I was just kidding - :kewl:

piemma
08-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Piemma -- I told you I was just kidding - :kewl:
So am I Joe. No offense taken and no offense meant. :cheers:

spence
08-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I'd be careful with Piemma if I were you. Last night he called me while I was standing on a rock and berated me for not catching as many fish as #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.

Did I just get hazed ??? :doh: :hee:

-spence

Springtides
08-20-2005, 01:08 PM
"Right Guard"
In its original aerosol form, Right Guard deodorant was introduced in 1960 as the first deodorant marketed for the family. Right Guard has been an important brand, in many forms and variations, for the past 40 years. Right Guard antiperspirant was added to the line in 1968; first roll-on, in 1975; first pump, in 1977; Right Guard solid antiperspirant in 1981; and Right Guard clear gel in 1993. Right Guard Xtreme Sports, designed specifically for active people, was launched in 2000.

Piemma, I bet you're a real stinker. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

'Hound and Tlap you can't count the years before you started to stink.

Capesams, got a feeling you still stink. :eek: One ugly avatar

NIB under the arms, not behind the ears!!!!!!!!

JohnR tells me its the whiff of DZ and PeteG while fishing PJ on an east wind

McKenna and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&: Stealth stinkers :walk:

etc.etc.etc.

The old guard (young or old) losing it? No way.
What were all losing and need to guard is access. Jerusalem, Bonnett, fence @ Quonny, Castle Hill, That stinks.

fishaholic18
08-20-2005, 01:45 PM
What I say is "Who Cares"
I like to fish so I do and there isn't anyone who can say or do anything to change that! :skulz:
Sharpie, Rookie, Old Guard....How about classifying us as :"Guys who like to fish"
I couldn't give a rats arse about names or classification.
:lurk: :lurk:

Disclaimer: I am not to be held responsible if an internet battle starts over this, remember what happened the last time someone said "Who cares"

capesams
08-20-2005, 01:49 PM
there was something that was brought up in a post or two..the word "respect"...///something that is sorely missing in the younger generation these day's for the most part.

[I'm in my mid-50's] you never talked back or if you did, you'd soon learn the hard way and wouldn't do it again...these day's it's " your going to time out".. :doh:

point is.....reguardless of one's catch rate// surf knowledge/// or statis in the fishing game of life....good or bad...ahole or you just don't like the person period.........If he or she is older than you...they still comand respect...now if that other person happen's to be younger than you...all they'll get for the most part is your doing a nice job young man...it has nothing to do with how good you are.

old school/old guard = means to me they've put in their time..YES _TIME...something I guess the younger generation has no concept of.

BigFish
08-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Respect to me is something that is earned.....regardless of age. Nobody gets that which they do not give and if I ain't getting it I ain't giving it. I don't hand it out just because someone is older than me....they need to show me that they deserve my respect......and I only give it to those who respond in kind. Example......I go fishing with someone I have never been fishing with before, we meet at a spot, maybe their spot, maybe my spot but we meet and we fish......you have a good time, share some expertise or technique...some information, and you see that they respect the spot you just shared....maybe they ask if they could go there another time whether they go with you or bring a friend, but at least they asked and that is respect! If you go fishing with someone and they turn around and show up there later with 10 googans and ruin the spot....no respect and I don't fish with them again. I fished with Slingah and it was instant respect....I fished with Afterhours and it was respect.....you fish together share some info or spots and be respectful enough of the land and ocean not to litter, and care enough about the resource (fish) to treat them right upon release.....and you get my respect......but it is earned and not given. :huh: My .02 cents.

TheRattBoy
08-20-2005, 04:15 PM
There are a lot of guys fishing who are older than me but have not been fishing as long as I have....I don't just give these guys respect just because of their age.Let me see you putting yer time in, making an effort to really learn a spot...I'll respect that.
It was like I was telling someone last week , I love R.I. because when the guys down there see me they don't look at me as an out of stater trying to catch their fish (at least I've never felt that way) and from Sept - Dec they see me down there A LOT , they see i'm putting in my time and i'm always respectful of those around me and the beaches , so, to them i'm just like them, a surfcaster with bass on the brain, i've felt respected by the guys I always run into and I give it back to them....I CANNOT say that for most of the Mass. guys...which side of the bridge do you live on?! :rollem: :realmad: johnny

tlapinski
08-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Respect to me is something that is earned.....regardless of age. Nobody gets that which they do not give and if I ain't getting it I ain't giving it. I don't hand it out just because someone is older than me....they need to show me that they deserve my respect......and I only give it to those who respond in kind.
holy cr@p. mark the date... BF and I agree. :laugha:

afterhours
08-20-2005, 04:23 PM
gotta agree with you guys on the respect thing. respect is earned, not randomly or easily given. i don't think that age has anything to do with respect. i know a few guys half my age that i have respect for and a few older than me that i have zero respect for. takes a lot to earn respect in my book.

Nebe
08-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I dont care how old a person is.. if they are an ass to me i will not show them an ounce of respect. That goes for their fishing capabilites as well, they might be a great fisherman, and consider themselves a sharpie, but if they are an ass, they get no respect from me. Just because they are older doesnt give them cart-blache to be an a-hole. You got to have the whole package to fade into surfcasting glory.. good catch rates, always being out and in the know, and most imprtantly, you have to be a a gentleman and a sportsman. if you have all that, people will remember you positively.

Dont trash talk people, dont criticize the acomplishments of others, and set a good example for those younger than you.. then, if your lucky, you will have a trophy named after you when you kick the eel bucket. :D

Is the old guard loosing it??? nah.... but the new guard is right on their heels :hf1:

nightfighter
08-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Took me four days before I clicked to read this thread; thought it might be a pissing contest. It began as a very good thread. Got a little pissy. Can't believe i just read the whole thing. I agree with different points from all three sides. I just don't like pissing contests. I think E'man's total absorbtion/immursion/addiction to his "craft" is admirable. However I enjoy a more full/rounded non retiring life. I just enjoy striper fishing. Don't do nights much anymore, as would be alone and need to sleep/work. Today was great, caught fish, had to change gears often, and am appreciative of the skills I have acquired over the years to be able to catch today.
I thought we were all on the same side??????????????????

More respect all around please!

Nebe
08-20-2005, 06:28 PM

Toney Balloney... T's in the 50 club :smokin:

BigFish
08-20-2005, 06:32 PM
T-Lap...I will mark this one down too! :kewl: I am of the "just love to fish" belief.......I have not fished as hard this year as past because it has not been happening for me but I have been enjoying myself for the most part fishing with my old buddies when I can and fishing with many of my new friends here on the site. I do love to fish probably as much if not more than most but must admit to not having "it" as it is called. I work hard at it as some of my friends know, but many do just have the knack, a natural gift for working a plug, a spot, an eel and catching almost every time out. I am trying always to improve and in a couple weeks after Labor Day and the vacationers abort the Cape....I am going to give Fall a run for its money and fish it for all its worth.....cause it is gonna be another long winter! :kewl:

NIB
08-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Sorry didn't realize. i was actually defending him in a joke post by slingah.
u know someone called me toney boloney once.
just once.
Actually that name is on a few albums in credits from my wild days.
When I respected no one.

Nebe
08-20-2005, 06:35 PM
TONEY BALLONEY!!!!! :musc:

how you liking the reel??

NIB
08-20-2005, 06:36 PM
it raps my knuckles.I have to figure out a way to put a 706 knob on it.i seem to have a hard time findin it.i think i will save the VS for when i get wet. an stay wit my 706's.

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 06:38 PM
old school/old guard = means to me they've put in their time..YES _TIME...something I guess the younger generation has no concept of.

Respect to me is something that is earned.....regardless of age.

NIB
08-20-2005, 06:42 PM
T-Lap...I will mark this one down too! :kewl: I am of the "just love to fish" belief.......I have not fished as hard this year as past because it has not been happening for me but I have been enjoying myself for the most part fishing with my old buddies when I can and fishing with many of my new friends here on the site. I do love to fish probably as much if not more than most but must admit to not having "it" as it is called. I work hard at it as some of my friends know, but many do just have the knack, a natural gift for working a plug, a spot, an eel and catching almost every time out. I am trying always to improve and in a couple weeks after Labor Day and the vacationers abort the Cape....I am going to give Fall a run for its money and fish it for all its worth.....cause it is gonna be another long winter! :kewl:

BF I never admit to havin any skills whatsoever.i blame it all on dumb luck an good Karma.knowing it all would make it simple an boring.I know nothing.thats why its all good.

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 06:43 PM
good nib now gimmie a plug.............

NIB
08-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Tell me Why u deserve one.
u send me one an THEN I'll send u one.
I'm workin on some beauties too.Eben will have some goin his way soon.

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 06:51 PM
u got all them dannys i have no plugs
i want a nibula
send me 1 and tell me what ya want that way im stuck makin it

NIB
08-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Nope.

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 06:55 PM
f u

Karl F
08-20-2005, 06:59 PM
fight nice guys... ;)

damn... I owe ya both one!! and a couple others too.... next time I'm turnin' fer sure.

NIB
08-20-2005, 07:00 PM
FUn talkin wit U 2.I want some yellow an white danny's some like the new fathead I saw.Very sexy.

NIB
08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
I sent Karl a plug like a yr ago.just incase any one wants to do a trade wit him....Ha Ha.
sorry karl I got no smiley faces.

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 07:04 PM
send me a nibula plug
c,mon i sent a popper to the tree

Karl F
08-20-2005, 07:04 PM
I sent Karl a plug like a yr ago.just incase any one wants to do a trade wit him....Ha Ha.
sorry karl I got no smiley faces.
I know... I know.. I owe ya 2 :whackin: I got a million excuses, but it don't matter, I shouldn't a let it slide.... :whackin:

Karl F
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
on nooooooo tree woood :hihi:

NIB
08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
send me a nibula plug
c,mon i sent a popper to the tree
That was funny.ok maybe.U watch ur mailbox

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 07:07 PM
nib u have me addy, an tell em what yaz want when ya do iffens ya do
im thinkin of headin out at 1 am
bet i fall asleep, lol

Nebe
08-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm workin on some beauties too.Eben will have some goin his way soon.

Nib spoke and let it be known on this day of august 20th 2005, eben has plugs coming to him :bgi: :bgi: :bgi:

NIB
08-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Don't sweat it karl i know u where busy makin 10 thousand plugs for kids that are usin em as knock hockey sticks now.
If I see a kid wit one o ur plugs I'm gonna grab it a run.

Karl F
08-20-2005, 07:12 PM
"knock hockey sticks"... ya killin me :hihi:

do kids even play that any more?

bassmaster
08-20-2005, 07:12 PM
plugs can i have some

Slipknot
08-20-2005, 07:34 PM
NIB, I sent you 2 plugs, where's mine? I only got a half a plug back :huh:
:(
send me a tony baloney plug when you finish snazzing them all up.

What is this old gaurd nonsense?
Capesams is old, I am old, we're all old. I don't have enough plugs, I need more plugs.

NIB
08-21-2005, 07:53 AM
o boy there's a long list,i owe thumburner,tagger an a few others.I got big metal lips 3+oz an little ones1.5 oz,an bout a dozen inbetween, needles that are spooky an big needles to trow out past rocks.Darters 2.5 an 2oz. Pencils popers.at 4+oz.One of my fav's are some slightly larger lefty types that are really more of a Musso I call em Righty's.I got a HabaTat that swam so well i had to make a few.the 40 is one o my favorite plugs.all plugs where tested some are better in flat water an some will hold there own in the ruff stuff.who wants what....

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 08:10 AM
i want a nib plug

piemma
08-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm tired of this bickering and one-upmanship..... Fading to black for awhile. Bye :walk:

snake slinger
08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
i know 2 from the old gaurd who are just as sharp as ever

Sea Dangles
08-21-2005, 10:05 AM
One thing I can say, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& (regardless of age) needs a slap. Pete G is a gentleman by anyones standards and a pleasure to fish with. Some people (you know who you are) are too full of themselves and are simply braggards.I have seen countless posts edited by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and this clearly indicates a person who types (or talks) before he thinks. Is this an indication of how the "old guard" operates? If so then the future is looking brighter every day. Me, I'd rather fish with a good person than a good fisherman. Fortunately my circle contains both. One person I fish with catches more 50's a year than the "old guard" on this board has combined. He has no avatar,he has no self promoting nickname, he posts no pictures that he begs his in-law to delete because they burn spots. ( remember that episode #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& ?) Is this how we protect our secrets? Practice what we preach and do it quietly, without putdowns and without promoting ourselves. Let's stop trying to be controversial and just go fish.

Mike P
08-21-2005, 10:31 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and I met on a board where you couldn't edit what you posted. That was great fun, wasn't it, Bill? :D :humpty: :rotf2:

CAL
08-21-2005, 10:37 AM
:laughs:

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm tired of this bickering and one-upmanship..... Fading to black for awhile. Bye :walk:
b4 u go can i have a plug or 2.
hey it was werth a shot.........

piemma
08-21-2005, 10:54 AM
You're on!

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 11:03 AM
glad to see Ya in better spirets"
hhhhhhhmmmmm
so tell me, what kinda plugs Ya have.
to be honest this whole thred is kinda lame
i wish i was a catfish.............................

eelman
08-21-2005, 11:05 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and I met on a board where you couldn't edit what you posted. That was great fun, wasn't it, Bill? :D :humpty: :rotf2:

Yes it was mike, it was also fun when we finnaly met and you and I realized just how different each other was in person, By the way there seadangles, The slap comment was very uncalled for, Posts like that are unnessasary, I never make remarks like that, go ahead and search my posts.

You should think before you post also. The threat thing bugs me to know end, I never go there. :doh: :doh:

By thye way bassmaster, PIEMMA Has already given me several :hee:

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 11:06 AM
can i have a plug u dont use them anyway.........

eelman
08-21-2005, 11:10 AM
can i have a plug u dont use them anyway.........
Sure, when you put me on some cape bass :buds:

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 11:11 AM
what kind of plugs do u have........
do they come with directions on how ta use em

eelman
08-21-2005, 11:12 AM
what kind of plugs do u have........
do they come with directions on how ta use em

I have the kind with hooks on them :spidey:

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 11:15 AM
vmc's or musterds

basswipe
08-21-2005, 11:18 AM
By the way there seadangles, The slap comment was very uncalled for, Posts like that are unnessasary, I never make remarks like that, go ahead and search my posts.

You should think before you post also. The threat thing bugs me to know end, I never go there. :doh: :doh:

I agree.

Its one thing to disagree on something but to say a guy needs a slap because you don't like what they have to say... :doh:

This thread was meant to be a friendly debate but once again someone had to bring it down to a lower level.

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 11:19 AM
do U have any plugs?

Sea Dangles
08-21-2005, 11:40 AM
It was not a threat. Just my opinion on an action your father should have done to you long ago. You seem hopeless and starved for attention.

basswipe
08-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Mentioning someone's parents and what they should/should not've done.

Not good.This has the makings of a major pissin' contest.

Moderator might wanna think about closing this one down?

spence
08-21-2005, 12:08 PM
You trying to start sumptin BASSWIPE ???

Oh Yea?

NASCAR SUCKS !!!!

:hee: :tooth: :rotf2:

-spence

Nebe
08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
seadangles posts are 80% about criticizing others :hs: If you ask me, his past 2 posts have lowered himself below those that he criticizes. ohh he must be a tortured soul. perhaps the skunk weighs heavily on his back.

get a life sea dangles, the net is a giant sand box. some play well woth others and some throw sand. If you dont like what others say, ignore it, or move on.
Personal attacks like that are enough to be banned from this site IMO.

basswipe
08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
You trying to start sumptin BASSWIPE ???

Oh Yea?

NASCAR SUCKS !!!!

:hee: :tooth: :rotf2:

-spence

:smokin: :lurk:

fishaholic18
08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
do U have any plugs?
I have a BM needle.... :hidin:

eelman
08-21-2005, 12:18 PM
seadangles posts are 80% about criticizing others :hs: If you ask me, his past 2 posts have lowered himself below those that he criticizes. ohh he must be a tortured soul. perhaps the skunk weighs heavily on his back.

get a life sea dangles, the net is a giant sand box. some play well woth others and some throw sand. If you dont like what others say, ignore it, or move on.
Well said, I am going to let this one go peacfully, I never engage in the personall attacks, especially when it get's to the parents level, very low class even for me!

Am I contreversal? Yup, but there are some things I dont do, and thats one of them....

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 12:24 PM
yeah yeah yean now give me a plug

Sea Dangles
08-21-2005, 12:43 PM
No skunk last night. Pesky blues

Sea Dangles
08-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Let's limbo; how low can you go?

Nebe
08-21-2005, 01:18 PM
:hs:

Mike P
08-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Moderator might wanna think about closing this one down?

No, it's too good of a thread for that. We're all adults here. If we all can act like ones for the duration, I'll let it stand "as is". If not, I'll start editing out the crap.

eelman
08-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Let's limbo; how low can you go?
Some people dont when to quit :doh:

basswipe
08-21-2005, 01:52 PM
No, it's too good of a thread for that. We're all adults here. If we all can act like ones for the duration, I'll let it stand "as is". If not, I'll start editing out the crap.

Cooler heads prevail.

I love this place...I just hate seeing the crap.

Thanks for watchin' Mike.

capesams
08-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I guess they'll alway's be two side's to every coin....I was brought up to respect my elder's ...whole different generation coming up behind me for sure...I never fished with clamma,,just had a few talk's in passing,,but I still have much respect for the man......if I read some of these post's right it means that if you haven't fished with/gotten patted on the back/gotten picked up off the ground after fallin on your face/ given secret chitt info. on how to whatever//no one get's poo from you?? never fished or talked to #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& either..but respect his way of fishing...in the dark..alone
for the most part..keeping hole's an info. to himself...earned the hard way I'm sure just like us OLD FARTS have alway's done and not by FISHING in the internet............. that's my side of the coin...agree or disagree that's your choice and I'll respect that.

BigFish
08-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Old guard.....schmold guard......its fishing for cryin' out loud....and most of the "old guard" are dead! Nothing left but a bunch of self-appointed...self-annointed new generation surfcasters......lets all fish dammit! :wall:

Now get out there and catch one with a flipper! :rolleyes:

:rotf2:

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
I want to edit some plugs from your plug bag :walk:

NIB
08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Ya i bet he's got some collection. I thought i had railroaded this train.I'm usually pretty good for that.oh well.

Pete_G
08-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I guess they'll alway's be two side's to every coin....I was brought up to respect my elder's ...whole different generation coming up behind me for sure...I never fished with clamma,,just had a few talk's in passing,,but I still have much respect for the man......if I read some of these post's right it means that if you haven't fished with/gotten patted on the back/gotten picked up off the ground after fallin on your face/ given secret chitt info. on how to whatever//no one get's poo from you?? never fished or talked to #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& either..but respect his way of fishing...in the dark..alone
for the most part..keeping hole's an info. to himself...earned the hard way I'm sure just like us OLD FARTS have alway's done and not by FISHING in the internet............. that's my side of the coin...agree or disagree that's your choice and I'll respect that.

Maybe the younger generations have just been brought up differently; as in just because your old enough to be considered an "elder", doesn't mean you're going to get any respect if you don't deserve it.

Eben basically said that a few pages back and I couldn't agree more.

I also think no matter how much info you are given or hand holding you get it all in how it's applied. Time in or on the water will always be the deciding factor.

Karl F
08-21-2005, 06:44 PM
This is old school, and I respect that... gettin the jeep ta Monomoy...

capesams
08-21-2005, 08:56 PM
little oyster barge..member them using those tonging oyster's of the grant's in,,,of all places ..oyster river.

Slipknot
08-21-2005, 08:59 PM
I respect all my elders :uhuh:

NIB, I'm older than you, send me a plug, you too bassmaster :exp:

Mike P
08-21-2005, 09:07 PM
hey now, I'm older than all 3 of yuz bums :D

Slipknot
08-21-2005, 09:19 PM
good, then give me a plug too :D
or NIB will be glad to give you one :hidin:

bassmaster
08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
hey now, I'm older than all 3 of yuz bums :D
3 pink super strikes an I want the old see through ones
I know U have them I seen Ya bag :skulz:

NIB
08-21-2005, 10:01 PM
I got one for ya.All u bums fish ur own crap stop sendin me plugs an I will fish my own crappy pluggs.OK? My sealer sent me for a loop this afternoon.

bloocrab
08-22-2005, 12:22 AM
This post has been amusing...,,, Thank you.

I think "old guard/new guard"...a buncha bloochit if you ask me,,, I'm still not even sure I know what that means...

I'll tell you who I respect though.....I respect that old guy who I see fishing off the bridge in the same spot almost every day after the fish have arrived. The same guy who's caught thousands of fish from that very same bridge through-out the years, BIG FISH too!!. He doesn't drive to the "outer beaches" or SoCo anymore, he no longer scouts for spots...Why do I respect him so much??....because he just simply fishes <ALOT>. Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words.

Who I don't respect is the guy who's Suburban is all decked out with fishing gear...top-a-da-line everything....and don't know squat about what he's doing. Keeps driving around looking for crowds because there MUST be fish around if there's a crowd...Quick to tell you about all the new fishing toys he owns or is going to buy just to "fit in"...Pulls out a brand new plug he just bought and minutes later is asking you how to fish it.............YOU BORE ME YOU BIG DOPE!!

I've fished a few legs/flings whatever you want to call them. I've met some interesting people too...I can tell by reading this thread, I wouldn't enjoy fishing with some of you...(I know, you probably wouldn't enjoy fishing with me either)...I ain't better than anybody, just giving my honest opinion.

On the other subject.......You should ALWAYS respect your elders!!! :af: ...I ain't talkin about someone 2 years older than you ...someone considerably older. What's wrong with you people??.....What are you going to do, get into a fist-fight with a 70 yr. old man because he cut you in line at a MOBILE station??...I hope he kicks your a$ses!!!

I ain't no-where close to CapeSam's age, but he's right....whole different generation coming up...

:hs:....

Karl F
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
:claps:
miss your posts.....glad ya did on this one.

bart
08-22-2005, 01:22 PM
i don't think its fair to say that the newer generation has no respect for the guys who've been at it a long time. ima youngin and fish mostly with guys who are older than me and i'd like to think i have gained their respect. before i started fishing with them i would hike it down to SoCo by myself from franklin 3-4 times a week and fish my balls off, a lot of times for a skunking. i think if you put your time in and show a real appreciation and passion for the sport then you will earn respect.

eelman
08-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Hmmmm the past few nights I think the old guard is doin just fine :rotf2: :rotf2:

Slipknot
08-22-2005, 01:52 PM
What's an Old Guard? :huh: Sgt. Schultz?

MAC
08-22-2005, 02:23 PM
What's an Old Guard? :huh: Sgt. Schultz? :rotf3:

riverrat2
08-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Im in the same boat as you bart(or on the same beach). I don't understand what makes some of the older guys in the sport believe that all of the new generation is disrespectful. I give all of the people I fish with all the respect they deserve and they have tought me a ton.

bart
08-22-2005, 02:34 PM
:cheers:

ThrowingTimber
08-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Nebe
08-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Hmmmm the past few nights I think the old guard is doin just fine :rotf2: :rotf2:

shhhhhh :fishslap:

eelman
08-22-2005, 03:34 PM
shhhhhh :fishslap:

:shocked: Man that fishslap hurts!

Nebe
08-22-2005, 03:36 PM
:p

tlapinski
08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
CS, Bloo, etc... I was thinking about this today. I wanted to clarify something I said. When I was speaking of respecting the older guys, I was referring only to those in our game of surf fishing. I meant no disrespect to you all outside in the real world. (not saying you're an old timer either Bloo, just clarifying :tooth: ) I just think that respect, notariety, etc.. in the world of surfcasting is not to just be handed out beacuse you have been at the game a while. I repsect a lot of you older and younger guys a ton.

BigFish
08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Uh-oh.....T-Lap and I are starting to think alike! :eek: :spidey:

Moses
08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Very interesting thread. I just read and re-read all posts from start to finish. First a little bit about me; I'm 36 yrs old and have been freshwater fishing as long as I can remember. My father and older brother enjoyed it and took me along often. They also both have always fished saltwater but for some reason never invited me along in years past. It wasn't until November 2001 that my older brother invited me down to the Sandwich area that I was first introduced to striper fishing. It was a very warm day for November and we were into schoollie's for 2 hrs straight. Over that winter, I did as much research (internet, books, magazines, person to person chat, etc..) as I could. I've been truly addicted since that outing.

Now fast forward to today. I've joined a couple of online boards, met a handful of folks, asked some stupid questions and learned alot and realize enough to admit that I have alot more to learn. I just hope those that conside themselves old guard/sharpies, etc.. give some of us newer blood a second chance.

Concerning old guard/old school, I only know one well enough. He's my neighbor where I grew up and he has told me stories where I'll sit for hours on end, mouth wide open like a little kid soaking it all in. He's passed along rods/reels to me that are 50+ years old (he's 87 now and still one tough bastard) because he can tell I'm serious about striper fishing. Knowing things he's passed along has been a real eye opener for me because some facts/stories only exist in the memories of those who have personally experienced them. This type of knowledge is priceless and I'm glad he shares them with me.

Everyone has their own interpretation of what striper/surf fishing means to them. It's good to have hobbies (addictions) and be passionate about them. Since getting in to saltwater fishing, my personal situation (home purchase, children, etc.) has changed over the years which has a direct impact on my fishing time. I would expect this happens with most people, a natural evolution of sorts. To me, the important thing is the passion for fishing someone has. Most people can see/hear it when they chat with folks both young and old.

I also prefer to fish with people, just my nature. We don't necessarily talk alot during fishing, I simply enjoy other's company and occassionally that leads to shared/new information. This can be just as rewarding as catching fish. Again a passion for learning everything there is to know/consider/evaluate when one is fishing.

I already have my two boys into fishing, ages 6 & 2. My 6 yr old caught his first striper last april and loves both freshwater saltwater fishing. My two yr old loves my weekly & monthly fishing mags and when one is delivered to my home, he's waiting at the door with it when I come home from work. I almost can't wait for the day when all three of us can spend some quality night time fishing together, whether on a beach or from a boat.

Nebe
08-22-2005, 05:27 PM
CS, Bloo, etc... I was thinking about this today. I wanted to clarify something I said. When I was speaking of respecting the older guys, I was referring only to those in our game of surf fishing. I meant no disrespect to you all outside in the real world. (not saying you're an old timer either Bloo, just clarifying :tooth: ) I just think that respect, notariety, etc.. in the world of surfcasting is not to just be handed out beacuse you have been at the game a while. I repsect a lot of you older and younger guys a ton.
same here... Art from rims comes to mind. when i first met him i was ready to kill him, then afer a while i realized he was pretty cool.. but a total A-hole upon first sight. i thought he was goign to pull a .45 on me :gf: by the end of the night we left on good terms but it was a hairy start :D

capesams
08-22-2005, 05:52 PM
in all these years of fishing[not straying far form paradise] I've noticed that there's basicly 3 age group's ...the oldddd guy's[80's] the middle age[50's] and the younger guy's[30's]..away's seems to be a 15-20 year gap between the different group's.........anyone else ever notice this or have I been sniff to much salt air.....???

vineyardblues
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
steve, when is your birthday? You will be 81 this year ?

VB

capesams
08-22-2005, 06:05 PM
mind will never get past 3, but the bod feel's like a 103. to many years o hardknox.

Jenn
08-22-2005, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]Are we who have 20 years in the surf or more slipping? is a new breed of hero emerging? Is Eben the new master? Maybe the drive is gone, maybe we cant keep up with these young bucks? does it matter if you fish 7 nights a week? Hmmmmmmmm
QUOTE]

I have read this whole thread from start to finish and only have one question to ask.

so heres to you #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& since you started all this!!!!

how old are you and what makes you think you are part of the old guard???? Has it occurred to you that there are fishermen out there 20 years older than you that think YOU are the NEW GUARD????

Perspective (if you pay attention to it) is everything.

BigFish
08-22-2005, 06:36 PM
:hihi: :laugha: :lasso: :hidin:

eelman
08-22-2005, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]Are we who have 20 years in the surf or more slipping? is a new breed of hero emerging? Is Eben the new master? Maybe the drive is gone, maybe we cant keep up with these young bucks? does it matter if you fish 7 nights a week? Hmmmmmmmm
QUOTE]

I have read this whole thread from start to finish and only have one question to ask.

so heres to you #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& since you started all this!!!!

how old are you and what makes you think you are part of the old guard???? Has it occurred to you that there are fishermen out there 20 years older than you that think YOU are the NEW GUARD????

Perspective (if you pay attention to it) is everything.

To answer your Question Jenn, to me it matters not how old I am but that I have surfished for stripers for 20yrs, In my book thats someone who put there time in regardless of age.........

No, there is no one out there who thinks of me as the "new guard"

My definition of new guard? The guy who has been surfishing for 5 years or less......................

I am certainly not an old timer by anymeans but I have earned my place! I have paid my dues , I have pounded the beach and I have done it on my own.I have not just fell out of my truck wanting an instant 50 when I have fished only a few seasons.

Difference between new guard old guard.

New guard way= "where did you catch those fish"

old guard= "Nice fish, good job" ( notice not asking for a spot)

New guard= " thanks for the tip bud, I went to your spot but got skunked, I know you said the bite was on eels but I used a rainbow bomber instead! why did I get skunked"

Old Guard= " Thanks for the tip, slammed them on eels tonight, you were right ! "

New guard= " hope you dont mind , I took five of my buds to that spot where you took me the other night, we cant wait to go back! "

Old guard= " Enjoyed your company, thanks for putting me on some fish, call me if you want company again, better yet I will invite you if I find some down my way, thanks again"

Is anyone getting the picture yet!!!!!

Slingah
08-23-2005, 05:49 AM
I think I'm the medium guard :spin:

Moses
08-23-2005, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=Jenn]
My definition of new guard? The guy who has been surfishing for 5 years or less......................
Difference between new guard old guard.

New guard way= "where did you catch those fish"

old guard= "Nice fish, good job" ( notice not asking for a spot)

New guard= " thanks for the tip bud, I went to your spot but got skunked, I know you said the bite was on eels but I used a rainbow bomber instead! why did I get skunked"

Old Guard= " Thanks for the tip, slammed them on eels tonight, you were right ! "

New guard= " hope you dont mind , I took five of my buds to that spot where you took me the other night, we cant wait to go back! "

Old guard= " Enjoyed your company, thanks for putting me on some fish, call me if you want company again, better yet I will invite you if I find some down my way, thanks again"

Is anyone getting the picture yet!!!!!

No, I'm not getting the picture yet. I'm approaching my 5th year surf fishing and the majority of folks I fish with range from 3-20 years experience. Even though some of us may be considered new by your definition above, we do not ask those types of questions. Perhaps my exposure to them and my old neighbor the sharpie taught me what to ask & what not to ask. Again, assuming all surfcasters <5-10 years experience have nothing to offer is a big mistake.

piemma
08-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Great summation!!!!

zacs
08-23-2005, 07:46 AM
:lurk:

bart
08-23-2005, 08:07 AM
i think that summary #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& just gave couldn't be further from the truth. sure, i've asked about spots before. when i interned wth Joe i was always prying but that was because i basically fished the same spots as him. i already had a basic knowledge of these areas and just needed a little reassurance that i was on the right track at times. he was nice enough to give me some hints and for that i will always be grateful. but i also think that he realized that i was really serious about my fishing and that i definitely worked hard at it and put in a good amount of time. i never wanted something handed to me. i usually don't have a good handle on where the fish are as i live in MA and fish in Rhody, but rarely will i ever PM people and ask them where the fish are. if i do PM someone, i usually have a gameplan and ask them what they think of it.

as for bringing people to spots, i have been shown some, and anytime i'm thinking of going bakc there i always ask the person if they don't mind. i think you have had a bad experience with a few bad apples, but most younger people who take this sport seriously know the etiquette.

Sea Dangles
08-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Is anyone getting the picture yet? This is really getting tiresome Bill. Why did you appoint yourself the expert? If you listened as much as you talked, a wiser man you would be.Perhaps I came across as a little too critical before but you still haven't learned. Another edited post.Still not thinking clearly. Push away from the keyboard and count to ten. Now ask yourself if you get the picture. This kangaroo court must go into session.

eelman
08-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Maybe the whole thing boils down to a "state of mind". Of course not eveyone is like what I mentioned , but for the most part thats what I have ran into.

There is a guy on this board who I have met only a couple of times his board name is " Snake Slinger" Anyway he hasnt been at this for all that long, however when ever steve and I run into him he is always quiet, pleasent, minds his buisness and is just a great all around guy. He fishes a spot we know well, never takes anyone always fishes alone and puts his time in.He is the type of person I have no problem giving info to about anything ! Its not going to go any further than him and he is trustworthy.

So I guess not everyone is the same :kewl:

So lets forget the years on the water and look at it as a state of mind.

eelman
08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Is anyone getting the picture yet? This is really getting tiresome Bill. Why did you appoint yourself the expert? If you listened as much as you talked, a wiser man you would be.Perhaps I came across as a little too critical before but you still haven't learned. Another edited post.Still not thinking clearly. Push away from the keyboard and count to ten. Now ask yourself if you get the picture. This kangaroo court must go into session.
If its so tiersome, then dont read ! The post was edited to add stuff not take away. Here is the picture I get, I counted to 10 last night and set the hook on a 27lb fish :kewl: Thanks for the advice

piemma
08-23-2005, 08:33 AM
OK, so I have no problem with younger people. My partner is 26 which I have stated before. 2 nights ago I fished with 2 friends form this board that are in their early 30's at one of my "honey holes." One of my friends got the biggest fish of his life, a 20 lber. He is new to this "rim fishing" that we do and he listens to eveything he is told. He doesn't burn spots. He doesn't "jump" spots. He is becoming a damn good surfman because he understands the ethics involved with this sport.

It not an AGE thing! It's an additude as Bill has repeatedly stated. It's like you guys haven't listened to anything that has been posted. Read Bill's post and READ between the lines. He's is stating some important things.

You know the same night my friend got his personal best, I hung a big fish. We were fishing a particularly dangerous spot with a big surge on, steep rocks, slime etc. My other friend didn't hesitate to go down the rocks to help land my fish and, in the process, took a wave over his head. I fish with these "young" guys because they are becoming the "old guard" They get it! They understand friendship, covering your partners back, and being ready to help. I trust these guys and would fish anywhere with them. You guys who fish the night watch in marginal condition, in dangerous places know what I am talking about.

ThrowingTimber
08-23-2005, 08:41 AM
:humpty: Nothing like a good leaderman in a heave :uhuh:

eelman
08-23-2005, 08:54 AM
OK, so I have no problem with younger people. My partner is 26 which I have stated before. 2 nights ago I fished with 2 friends form this board that are in their early 30's at one of my "honey holes." One of my friends got the biggest fish of his life, a 20 lber. He is new to this "rim fishing" that we do and he listens to eveything he is told. He doesn't burn spots. He doesn't "jump" spots. He is becoming a damn good surfman because he understands the ethics involved with this sport.

It not an AGE thing! It's an additude as Bill has repeatedly stated. It's like you guys haven't listened to anything that has been posted. Read Bill's post and READ between the lines. He's is stating some important things.

You know the same night my friend got his personal best, I hung a big fish. We were fishing a particularly dangerous spot with a big surge on, steep rocks, slime etc. My other friend didn't hesitate to go down the rocks to help land my fish and, in the process, took a wave over his head. I fish with these "young" guys because they are becoming the "old guard" They get it! They understand friendship, covering your partners back, and being ready to help. I trust these guys and would fish anywhere with them. You guys who fish the night watch in marginal condition, in dangerous places know what I am talking about.

I guess some people have a better way with words than I. Paul is lucky to find a couple of good guys he can fish with and trust !

BigFish
08-23-2005, 09:12 AM
There are alot of guys on here I would trust.......if you truely love to fish, which I do, spend some time with new people from this site! I don't need a label on me....and even if I did......"Old Guard" would not be it! I do not claim myself a great fisherman! I have been fishing for stripes about 6 years now......got all the tools and toys....make my own plugs that catch, and I have been VP of my fishing club twice. I am as into surf fishing as you can get....but admittedly, I am not as talented as some but I do pretty well. I have my moments and I enjoy fishing with buddies and fishing with folks I have never met before. It might not work out every time, but I have made some great new friends and fishing buddies from opening myself up to new things. Even if I had a few 40's to my credit or even a 50....I would not label myself! I want to be known as one thing....fun to fish with! Not a newbie, not a sharpie....someplace right in the middle who enjoys stepping aside after I have gotten the skunk off and making sure my buddies hook up even if I have to yield my spot for a few moments to make that happen......or hand a stranger a tin or a plug when the feed is on and the only one hooking up is me cause I happen to have what they like......I have more fun when all around me are hooking up! I am sure #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is a talented and hard fishing surf caster, just as I believe a few others here are great at what they do also......I have fished with better than me, and I have fished with a few who needed a little guidance and if I helped them, then great. I have been helped by a few also......my fishing buddies are pretty great at fishing....dare I say better than me, but we also feed off of each other....share info....we each prefer different spots for the most part but we fish them all together. I would rather catch a trophy fish with a couple of my buddies around me than to catch it all alone......its nice to have someone to reflect on the moment with and talk about it years from now and laugh......it is what its all about! #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is right when he says it is a state of mind....its all what you want to get out of this fishing thing personally! I am getting out of it exactly what I want.....enjoyment, memories, friendships that are meaningful and longlasting......and I believe I get the same respect from my fellow fishermen that I give to them.....it might not be "old guard"......but it does just fine by me! :kewl:

eelman
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I would give anyone here a chance, I may not take them to my honey hole on the first trip but I would be willing to show what I know and then see what happens. Its hard to trust strangers, but hey, you never know. This is certainly a tough and demanding sport, no question about it. Lots of walking, tons of bug bites, constantly wet, losing sleep, its all really unnatural. It taxes you beyond your limits if done right.

I just dont take it lightly some do and thats fine for me its in the blood, part of who I am and I would rather die than not chase striped bass. There are some nice people out there and paul is right in that age does not amount to a hill of beans but, my luck has been the bad in the "who I meet department"

I wish it was different because I hate to fish alone, there are times when my partner cant make it and its always more fun to catch fish with a friend, not to mention how dangerous it is to fish alone around slippery boulders half a mile from your truck!

The other night, Steve lost his keys in the water right away, we hardley fished! I had no problem helping him look and then driving him all the way back home and back to the spot again. I missed a whole night of fishing but, I didnt care at all thats what good friends are for.

I would help anyone in need, I am not a monster, just serious about a sport I love.

Old guard/new guard-who cares! Just give me the right time of day when we run into each other and I am willing to help out!

I will tell you this, when I do take someone, I put them in the choice spot, I do everything I can to make sure they get a fish-or-at least give them the best chance possible, I talk alot, telling them everything I can to make it more fun for them. I like seeing someoine else get a good fish and I am hsppy for the.

When Eben got his fish all steve did was grab the kid behind the shoulders and congradulate him, he didnt pound him with questions, just gave him kudos's on a job well done and, I am sure to eben that meant alot ! To me that would mean more than catching the fish!

piemma
08-23-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm starting a new thread so this thing can go to sleep......

BigFish
08-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Folks....I think we have found middle ground......lets fish it! :bl: I am still hoping to get out with Piemma.....we were supposed to hook up last week but I could not make it happen.......I would love to get out with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& this fall......I will take him to my spot first someplace sandy.....maybe he can take me rock hopping afterwards! :jump1:

eelman
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm starting a new thread so this thing can go to sleep......
A little testy now there paul :hihi:

Hey Bigfish your on!

piemma
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Larry:
Anytime. PMing

BigFish
08-23-2005, 09:26 AM
See....now this is what its all about! :love:

eelman
08-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Larry:
Anytime. PMing
Paul you have reached your "quota" on how many guys you can take :rotf2:

Your going to need a bus and start wearing the pide pipper hat :rotf3:

JoeP
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
I like Piemma's perspective on this whole thing. There is an entire "attitude" about this whole thing that starts with preparation of gear at home in winter and during the season, studying weather, tides, structure, bait, etc., reading, learning spots on your own because that is the best way to learn, keeping records and studying them, learning how to fish, and then finally fishing itself.

It is not only about just the fishing. Skip any of the above and your success is less. Also part of this attitude, for me anyway, is I enjoy every aspect of the above.

It's not about just buying some “popular” stuff you've read about because it "sounds" good, reading the PROJO or OTW, etc. for spots or asking people just where the fish are. It's like anything in life -- If you don't learn on your own and put time and effort into achieving success you will not succeed.

There is also a very secretive and protective aspect of the attitude. Except for the 2-3 fishing friends I have, I don’t ask someone where he caught his fish (even though I may want too inside), I hate reading when someone asks about spots or when someone posts about spots, I don’t brag or post about the fish I caught or didn’t catch, when someone asks me if I caught any fish when I’m fishing or walking back to my Jeep my standard answer is “a couple small ones”, etc. The only thing I really like to talk openly about is gear and general how to’s because I think that is the best use of the Internet.

But, remember, this is fishing and is supposed to be enjoyable. Quit if you don’t like it. What I don't get is all the fighting & bitterness that comes out sometimes for stupid reasons.

I can’t say much about Piemma’s comments on fishing buddies because I fish 99% of the time alone as the guy I fished with hasn’t fished much this year and when he does fish he doesn’t last more than an hour or 2. It is nice to share the fishing experience with someone but I still enjoy it as much.

I also don’t fish much more than 1-2 times/week with a 6 year old boy, 3 year old boy, and 1 week old boy at home. I have other more enjoyable and rewarding priorities with my wife & kids.

However, the attitude remains the same even if the fishing part doesn’t happen as much.

piemma
08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Good post JP

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
1 week old boy at home.

Congratulations :claps: :claps:

Sea Dangles
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Glad to see clearer heads prevailing on the changing of the guard. I haven't fished too long but have a talented group of teachers. Iron Mike has put me through a crash course, literally. We fish big water and safety has been compromised to the point of broken bones. But I think it's fun. When I read the guard crap I become resentful because anyone deserves one chance. With an 8,6, and1 year old I don't fish as much as I would like, especially in the summer. I coach their teams and change diapers but still try to get out a couple times a week. Last october I watched the sox win th World Series at the Mews and then caught the outflow and nailed a 40+ pounder on an eel.I was alone and never bragged about it or posted pictures. Does this make me old school? Who cares, let's fish.

Moses
08-23-2005, 12:19 PM
As usual, exact meanings of someone's post doesn't always ring through (including my own). But reading the last handful of posts, I think we all agree on the common traits;

1. Passion for what we all do
2. Attitude is everything, living it, breathing it, getting in the zone as you're headed out for a night of fishing
3. IMHO, age and years at this sport shouldn't matter as much as top 2

Again, real good thread..........

SAXATILUS
08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
First I would like to say hello, just found this site, never had much use for the net and never new things like this existed. Pretty cool though. I would just like to give my thoughts to the subject. I have been fishing for over thirty years, but only five in the salt, so I guess I would be considered "NEW GUARD" even though i am pushing 40. Please don't lump us all together. I have met and talked with a couple of "SHARPIES" . I certainly was not after thier spots. But it is sure nice to get some info on important things like reading the water, rigging and presentation techniques etc. Just because A person is new doesn't mean they were not raised right. Thier are bad people in all circles. People who you would take to a killer spot and then they burn you, are people with no morals or respect and most likley unethical to boot, doesn't matter if they are 20 or 60, been fishing for 30yrs or 1yr they are just not good people. Just wanted to say all us guys new to fishing the salt are not after your spots, but your knowledge I would take all you were willing to give. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& I would love to pick your brain over a beer sometime as I too love to throw eels on conventional gear. I am new but not an a## hole. So next time you see some dude struggling out there on the rocks try and help him out they might not be so bad.

eelman
08-23-2005, 01:05 PM
First I would like to say hello, just found this site, never had much use for the net and never new things like this existed. Pretty cool though. I would just like to give my thoughts to the subject. I have been fishing for over thirty years, but only five in the salt, so I guess I would be considered "NEW GUARD" even though i am pushing 40. Please don't lump us all together. I have met and talked with a couple of "SHARPIES" . I certainly was not after thier spots. But it is sure nice to get some info on important things like reading the water, rigging and presentation techniques etc. Just because A person is new doesn't mean they were not raised right. Thier are bad people in all circles. People who you would take to a killer spot and then they burn you, are people with no morals or respect and most likley unethical to boot, doesn't matter if they are 20 or 60, been fishing for 30yrs or 1yr they are just not good people. Just wanted to say all us guys new to fishing the salt are not after your spots, but your knowledge I would take all you were willing to give. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& I would love to pick your brain over a beer sometime as I too love to throw eels on conventional gear. I am new but not an a## hole. So next time you see some dude struggling out there on the rocks try and help him out they might not be so bad.
Pick my brain anytime, but not over a beer, I dont drink! I will have a soda instead! :D

RIJIMMY
08-23-2005, 01:10 PM
I've read this entire thread and have no clue what the point is.
The "old guard" are who they are becasue they kept at it for years. Time weeds out the people that are not serious........If the new guard kept at it for years, I'm sure they will be similar to the current "old" guard.
Those not passionate/serious about fishing for bass eventually quit, its not easy to be out in rough surf, 2am, cold wind. I dont think twice and live for it, Its not for everyone and time will weed those out.

Nebe
08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
I've read this entire thread and have no clue what the point is.

Inner reflection... the ying to the yang....potatoe, potato, apples and oranges.

RIJIMMY
08-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Inner reflection... the ying to the yang....potatoe, potato, apples and oranges.

sounds like a lot of BS to me. :conf:

bloocrab
08-23-2005, 03:36 PM
:wavey: Karl .. .we've never met but I'm sure we'd be good company, I'm glad you enjoy my posts...most don't :gf:

On the respect thing...

I understand what you're talking about TLap/...
Just to re-iterate, Respect is a touchy subject. I don't respect a guy because he caught a 50, 60, or 70lb striper......I respect the guy who knows what he's doing and isn't afraid to do what-ever it takes to follow through with his confidence in technique and performance (follow his OWN gut feeling). The guy who still heads out when his normal partner can't. I don't fish to impress anyone, it isn't for merit, it isn't for respect...it's personal full-fillment FOR ME, I actually "jonez" when I don't fish.....I was explaining this to Goose last week when he called me up to fish, with the personal things going on in my life right now I can't just head out for 1 night and be "all set", especially if the fish cooperated....but everyone's different. Goose once made the statement, "you make time for what you want"...unfortunately "what I want" and what has to happen are 2 different things..it's definately a "state of mind" thing for me.

Also - - - //There are a hand-ful of GREAT fishermen that I highly respect that have not caught a 50..and I'm sure there are a couple of lucky dumm-asses who have caught 50's that I don't think of as great fishermen...and again, there are those who DO know what they're doing, have caught a 50, and I STILL don't respect them, (different kind of respect- I can't stand "show-boaters")...I think someone mentioned somewhere in this 40 page thread (consistency)///that's pretty important too, but some GREAT fisherman still aren't that lucky but I wouldn't take anything away from them. You can't decide what size fish is going to bite your hook, it's as simple as that. You can only put yourself in places where you think they'll be.

Classifications???///??? Old Guard/New Guard/??/Sharpie/??// Someone's always looking for a title.........fishing wasn't discovered when you or I started doing it. It's been around for a long time.......LLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG before the internet and WMI dayz. The internet is a good way to bring fishermen together, but what a mixed bunch we are... :faga: