View Full Version : Are Bass on the Decline

JHABS
08-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Do you Think Striped Bass are on the Decline. What are your Thoughts.....

Pt.JudeJoe
08-17-2005, 07:02 PM
No...Pogies/bunker are on the decline. This will make for not enough high oil/protein food for too many bass.....and THEN they will be on the decline.

outfished
08-17-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure if it on the decline or on the rise, but what I do know the stocks are not where they should be compared to a few decades ago.

Nebe
08-17-2005, 07:05 PM
i say yes there is a decline of large bass. I say lower the limits to one small slot and one really really big :D

afterhours
08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
never seen as many SMALL schoolies as i've seen this year.. sounds like it may bode well for the future.( as long as they have the food to grow into biguns )

Nebe
08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
how many people are fishing for bass now as opposed to 10 years ago??? if everyone keeps a fish every time the go out, thats a huge chunk of bass being killed :(

tattoobob
08-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I think not, there is a shortage of bait fish (Herring, Alewife, and menhaden) this will make for lower weights in large fish like we are seeing in the last couple of years

outfished
08-17-2005, 07:31 PM
how many people are fishing for bass now as opposed to 10 years ago??? if everyone keeps a fish every time the go out, thats a huge chunk of bass being killed :(

Not only that, add the commercial fishing, poaching, loss of habitat, loss of baitfish, pollution etc., it's a wonder we still have fish around!

seabass
08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
The way I see it is 1) Historicaly the Chesapeake Bay class has been a major variable. 2)I've only been striper fishing for 8 years, but I've seen more schoolies then ever, and I've caught more fish in the 30 lb range then ever before. 3) I know for a fact the herring run in Middleboro has declined over the past four years as I watch this deligentley daily. 4)Pogies are almost extinct.5)Scup is hard to find near the Elizebeth Ilsands. 6) the inverse square of the 1998 population , intergrated with the logrithmic function of y is a direct correlation to the out put of a flux capacitor???? I DON"T THINK IT"S THAT BAD, JUST STANDARD FLUCTUATIONS.

Bass Babe
08-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Haha, seabass. :bl: Up to date statistics last year showed a steady population level thru 2003, and a slight drop in 2004, if I remember correctly. Managers were throwing around the idea of stricter regulations, but were split over whether pressure needed to be reduced or if it was natural fluctuation. I don't know the outcome of the meetings, but I'm sure someone here knows. When the stats come out for this year, we'll know if they made the right choice.

CANAL RAT
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Isn't it funny this subject comes up every season :sleeps:

Pete_G
08-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Just look at the chaos off Newport for the past month. Great bass fishing despite the heat and tuna everywhere. And a LOT of baby bunker and tinker macks.

Baitfish support everything we love, and the present situation off Newport excluded, quality bait seems to be a rarity.

I think any thoughts on bass numbers is purely a guess overall. Newport has been incredible to boat fisherman that know what they're doing, yet shore anglers have struggled till the bait arrived. Boat guys would say the bass are in great health and numbers as they are catching many quality fish, while the shore angler would obviously have a very different opinion, prior to all this bait arriving.

Maloney
08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Overall populations on the decrease, or distribution of size classes?

Seemed to be more fun when on the hunt for a keeper at 36 rather than 28.

Clammer
08-18-2005, 01:03 AM
No Shortage tonight // :happy:

basswipe
08-18-2005, 04:52 AM
I can second Pete.I watch the boats every day from the house I'm working on.
Out front off the drive is packed with boats every morning and they be catching.

piemma
08-18-2005, 05:16 AM
My opinion is that I have seen a decline of small fish. I have been successful with large. Not Eben size but 15 to 20+#. Of course I don't target small fish in that I fish large eels and large plugs. My standard plugs are 3 to 4oz Dannys and needles. And while you will occcasionally get schoolies on large plugs and eels, by and large the bigger fish will go for a bigger plug and eel. The other factor is where you fish. There are schoolie spots and big fish spots. My partner, RIROCKHOUND and I fish the night tides in big fish spots. I would bet we haven't caught 20 schoolies between us but we have caught a LOT of 15+# fish.

MakoMike
08-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Well have the definitive answer in another month or so when the ASMFC technical committee releases their numbers.

JohnR
08-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Well have the definitive answer in another month or so when the ASMFC technical committee releases their numbers.

Exactly - last years numbers had a big discrepancy between both systems, one says things are OK one says things suck and immediate action is necessary. Because of the difference between the two the decided to wait to see this years report. Don't be suprised if we are at one fish later this year or for next (even though we would voluntarily be at one fish)...

Fish_Eye
08-18-2005, 07:02 AM
There are more stripers around now then most anglers have ever had an opportunity to fish for -- at least statistically speaking.

2004:
Stock Size: The estimate of total abundance for January 1, 2004 is 56.7 million age-1 and older fish due to the strong 2003 year-class. This estimate is about 11 million fish higher than the average stock size for the previous five years and 23.8% higher than the 2003 abundance.

However, there are real concerns with the health of the population, the quality of their most important prey item -- menhaden, and the population of the females spawning -- too many big breeders getting culled.

THE BIG QUESTION IS WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE THINGS BETTER?

Are you active in lobbying for change?

Do you support groups that are fighting to control the overfishing of menhaden?

Are you vocal about the need to keep the EEZ closed?

Are you concerned that an estimated 2.5 million pounds of stripers are being tossed back into the water DEAD, just as a bykill by draggers?

Over the years I've observed a lot of people bitching and complaining about fishery mismanagement issues, yet they reserve their comments for forums, or for gripe sessions at the local tackle shop, or among fellow anglers. What good does it do to just complain? You need to get active. Make a difference.

People who don't vote have no right to complain about the government.

People who only gripe about the situation with stripers and don't do anything about it are only wasting their breath.

Join and support organizations like RISAA and especially the RFA.

bassmaster
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
if there are so many fish around then where in the hell are the bigger fish on the sands here and it aint me niether. ya really got to run to find them
lots of twinkies and seals.
me thinks that a cycle is going on that the bass are off shore and boats are the way to go...
A HabHole
:bshake: :bshake:

vineyardblues
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
I agree Bm,,,boat = fish

Every drift in the rip = 20 + lbers :) I have seen some huge ones!

Going for Tunaaaaaaaaa tomorrow ><>

VB

Back Beach
08-18-2005, 02:00 PM
if there are so many fish around then where in the hell are the bigger fish on the sands here and it aint me niether. ya really got to run to find them
lots of twinkies and seals.
me thinks that a cycle is going on that the bass are off shore and boats are the way to go...
A HabHole
:bshake: :bshake:
The outer cape has been below average, and the Buzzards Bay/Rhody fishing is the best in many years. I think it is a cyclical event in that the fish are staging in different areas for whatever reasons. A shortage/decline in numbers/sizes would be the last words I would use to describe the fishing this year. Most of the fish are running 18 to 25 pounds this year so far. The mass quota is full, and their numbers suggest no shortage in quantity or sizes either. One difference on the cape that has been in place for several years now is the lack of summer resident fish. It looks to me like they are just someplace else. And yes, a boat helps.