View Full Version : New Dock

ProfessorM
08-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I was in Plymouth today so I thought I would cruise down and check out the new floating dock they built. Boy was I dissapointed. It is a nice dock but not worth a piss hole in the snow as far as I am concerned. What the hell good is a dock 50' from the ramp. :doh: I thought they would put it on either side of the ramp or both so when you come in or go out you can tie up to it and avoid running the boat up on the concrete ramp or those lovely concrete side things lining the ramp. So now are you surpose to tie up to the dock, run up and get trailer, back down, run all the way up and then out to dock, then run boat up on trailer, etc. That is convenient and a real time saver, not. So I still can't go by my self with out the chance of running the hull up on ramp. Looks pretty but a total useless waste of money. Paul

Diggin Jiggin
08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
P.M.,
It may not be what you need to load your boat by yourself, but from what I've seen it does help to alleviate some of the backup at the ramp.

Everyone used to have to load and unload everyone and everything while the boat was on the trailer on the ramp. Now you can drop the boat in, tie it up at the dock and someone else can be loading/ unloading on the ramp while your getting your gear/crew loaded on the dock...

If you have more than one person, one guy backs in the truck, one to drive the boat, you can get in and out pretty quick...

ProfessorM
08-18-2005, 01:35 PM
I understand what you are saying but wouldn't you think a dock on both side's of the ramp, one for putting in and one for going out would have addressed all the issues. I don't know but not what I would have done. Guess you can't please all the people all the time. I will have to live with it. Paul

Diggin Jiggin
08-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I hear ya, a dock on each side would have been made things easier, but it's a lot better than it was. I hated being the first guy out trying to stand on that slippery cement wall tryng to hold the boat off...

fishsmith
08-18-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm with you PM - nice dock, and it is a big improvement but come on, the purpose is to get folks in and out safely and quickly?

What is faster -

Back down trailer,
unload boat
tie off boat
park car/trailer.

or

Back down trailer,
start motor (this is always goes smooth as silk)
back off trailer
drive over to dock
tie off to dock
walk down dock
walk up gangway
walk over to ramp
walk down ramp
park car/trailer

ProfessorM
08-19-2005, 10:55 AM
I guess they just forgot to ask the people that actually use the ramp what they would like to have for a dock. Spent how many years finally getting this thing done and that is the best they could come up with. Just another perfect example of people who have not a clue designing and building things for people that do. Sorry just in a bitchy mood I will leave it at that. Paul

capesams
08-20-2005, 05:43 AM
we to have a town that doesn't think well either....they dubdled the size of the parking at this one ramp..but then did away with all parking on the side's of the road ,so now you went from 30 parking spots to 10....then they put in a graden hose wash down on the side of the ramp...hay nice!..not,,,,people now take 3 times as long to get out cause they stop and wash the boat an trailer off,,backing up other's who want to put in...then the town hired a guy from wayyyyyyyyyy off cape to be the new habor master,,who by the way had never set foot in this town before AND [this is the best part] doesn't like boat's cause he get's sea sick,,but boy! his resume was a mile long...guess they thought no local was good enough. :doh: