View Full Version : line compacity

CANAL RAT
08-22-2005, 03:36 PM
i am torn between two reel versions its the daiwa emcast i am going to be using for plugs in the canal. the 4500 holds 230/17lb test and the 5000 holds 240/20. i know every ones going to say go for the bigger compacity because it is going to be ued in the ditch but i plan on using braid.i am going to be hanging the reel on a 10ft lami surf king

Sweetwater
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
You didn't say what lb test braid you're going to use, but if you use 30lb test, the 4500 is going to hold (guess) close the 280 yards. I think given a 10 footer, I'd think more in terms of balance (reel weight) and ease of casting. Spool diameter can effect casting, especially if the first eye potentially chokes the line (which can occur with larger spools, the 1st eye too close to the spool, or a small first eye -- or any combination). I think yer fine with the 4500 if there's a big price difference, but I like to feel the reel on the rod before I buy. (Btw, the word is capacity...not compacity :hihi: )

CANAL RAT
08-22-2005, 05:22 PM
sorry i suck at spelling :whackin: there is no difference in weight or the price of the reel. i plan on using 30lb or 40lb braid

Mike P
08-22-2005, 05:42 PM
If there's no difference in weight---seems like it's a no brainer---why not get the one that holds more line :confused: :huh:

You may never need it, but you know what they say---better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.