View Full Version : Sept. On The Water Mag.

TheRattBoy
08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
This is why I love the magazine soo much , ALL that wood :hee: One of the best issues ever...Great job guys!! :kewl: :kewl: johnny

BigFish
08-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Hit the highlights for us JTRB! ;)

CANAL RAT
08-22-2005, 10:03 PM
i haven got mine yet in the mail now i want it even more :hee:

NIB
08-22-2005, 10:44 PM
It takes a good week after I start readin the reviews for me to get it in NJ>

eelman
08-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Dont forget to check my partner steve's Sluggo article ! ( oh ya, steve is an old timer)

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2005, 07:29 AM
This is why I love the magazine soo much , ALL that wood :hee: One of the best issues ever...Great job guys!! :kewl: :kewl: johnny

I was thinking the Same thing.....pages and pages of plugs.....Real Pissah Issue.

zacs
08-23-2005, 07:34 AM
normaly I am the last to get mine, but I got lucky and it showed yesterday. Read cover to cover in one night. A new record for me. Hasn't even made its way to the bathroom yet!

Great articles Flap/Joe/Steve/et al.

Homerun04
08-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Best mag on the market......and I have (1) cover photo to my credit....a nice shot of of fellow S-B.comer 179 dragging over a fat bass last year............gotta love it......

Squibby17
08-23-2005, 09:59 AM
I havent got mine yet can't wait!!!

Mine will be going to the bathroom withme by the way :laughs:

Pete F.
08-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I got mine in Vt yesterday. Great plug articles, I wish they would do a monthly surfbag column sort of show us your bag and what do you like.

CANAL RAT
08-23-2005, 01:10 PM
just got mine awsome issue. tons of bluefish restant plugs for clammer ;)

CANAL RAT
08-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Best mag on the market......and I have (1) cover photo to my credit....a nice shot of of fellow S-B.comer 179 dragging over a fat bass last year............gotta love it......
it looked like he had on a thick wire leader in the cover pic

bart
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
thanks for the props Joe!

McSpooled
08-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Mine just came today..... While the plug articles look great, and I'll get to those after dinner, don't miss Chris Megan's opening article.

He's looking for suggestions / comments in regards to reinvesting in the magazine. You may want to take a few minutes and drop Chris a line with your comments (cjm@onthewater.com).

btw: Fishing New England is moving to 8a.m. Sunday on FSNE on September 4th ! Repeat viewing Saturday afternoon after football. :rotfl:

Swimmer
08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
We are extremely lucky in this neck of the woods in that we have a tremendous number local craftman who turn out the best looking and most fishable plugs anywhere. Consider this that on the west coast there is probably no distribution of Tattoo, Habs, and Afterhours plugs from which to draw from when deciding what plug to throw first. We are so lucky in this regard. And the plug makers I mentioned are just a few of a very deep talent pool.

reelecstasy
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Hasn't even made its way to the bathroom yet!

Great articles Flap/Joe/Steve/et al.
Yet?
My girl gets the mail and puts it right in there, lol :hee:

Rockport24
08-24-2005, 04:00 PM
As a newbie, this issue was my "free trial" issue. Just awesome. sign me up.
It's so cool how a lot of the writers are on this board too. I also like how you guys use the nicknames when referencing each other, that way I know who is who on the board.

Zeno
08-24-2005, 05:36 PM
It takes a good week after I start readin the reviews for me to get it in NJ>
You and me.By the time my mailman is done reading it and I get it ,the fall run will be over :rollem:

TheRattBoy
08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey Zeno, nice piece on poppers at night . I like those super strike poppers too , cast a mile.
That's a nice looking blue in the photo , did you weigh it?? :claps: johnny

Fish On
08-24-2005, 07:24 PM
You took that pic homerun? Nice shot!

Jim H
08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
AWESOME issue from an AWESOME publication. Keep up the good work guys.

Only problem is....my BUTT is sore from trying to read the whole thing from one SITTING in the bathroom!

:jester:

rwilhelm
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Yup great issue. I always enjoy Joe and Steve's articles. Also a great article by Steve M on how to rig and fish sluggos.

Squibby17
08-25-2005, 02:11 PM
FINALLY got mine yesterday. Read pretty much the whole thing. All I wanted to do was go fishing but i realized I live in the city and I had work today :wall:

luds
08-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I got mine in Vt yesterday. Great plug articles, I wish they would do a monthly surfbag column sort of show us your bag and what do you like.

That would be sweet! :humpty:

Rockport24
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I agree with the monthly "surf bag" thing, although this issue was great for us surfcasters, is there usually good info for surfcasters in the mag? All the boat ads kind of scared me a little...

Squibby17
08-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I agree with the monthly "surf bag" thing, although this issue was great for us surfcasters, is there usually good info for surfcasters in the mag? All the boat ads kind of scared me a little...

From someone who is in Advertising, Boats cost $, Advertising sells boats so dealers make $. Like any magazine you need to sell ads and boating is an obviously a large marketable product.

I would say the magazine is pretty much even in terms of surf/boat articles and much more freshwater stuff when it gets cold outside

Nebe
08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
still waiting for mine :crying:

5/0
08-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I hope to get my Sluggo signed by T.Orlando :jester:

tynan19
08-25-2005, 09:05 PM

Hey wait in line, I got one from Bart that night what is it worth to you. :bshake:

bart
08-26-2005, 08:03 AM

signed: "T-Bag" :laughs:

Tynan- you had a rough night that time, I felt bad.

i dropped an absolute slob on one last night. love them thangs....

Pete F.
08-26-2005, 09:36 AM
From someone who is in Advertising, Boats cost $, Advertising sells boats so dealers make $. Like any magazine you need to sell ads and boating is an obviously a large marketable product.

I would say the magazine is pretty much even in terms of surf/boat articles and much more freshwater stuff when it gets cold outside

Looking at the last two issues, the august one had almost no surf stuff, the september one looks like they are trying to sell lure ads. I like the lure of the month but I think a regular column by Joe Lyons, sort of an abbreviated Surfcaster interview, on what is in your surfbag would be a must read. :kewl: And would sell lure ads. :angel:

tynan19
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
signed: "T-Bag" :laughs:

Tynan- you had a rough night that time, I felt bad.

i dropped an absolute slob on one last night. love them thangs....

Felt bad you kidding great time and always come away with something. ;)

T bag now that is funny. :usd:

Zeno
08-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey Zeno, nice piece on poppers at night . I like those super strike poppers too , cast a mile.
That's a nice looking blue in the photo , did you weigh it?? :claps: johnny
Thank you for kind words .......not the easiest subject to cover ,that's for sure.Hope I did not bore you to death. :sleeps:

As far as picture ...it was taken by the buddy of a guy in the picture.These two were not content on fishing in waders so their got their wetsuits on a swam onto the sand bar one night and found razorlips galore. :eek5:

CAL
08-27-2005, 08:36 AM
A certain author isn't making too many friends this month :behead: :af:

BigFish
08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
That would be Ron "Spot Hero" Powers. :rocketem:

Slingah
08-27-2005, 09:37 AM
We have very limited access here on the South Shore, IMO......over the years he has burned almost everyone of the spots I fish.... most of which I scouted and found on my own and figured out what worked. I think thats half the fun of it. Its like reading an instruction manual....I don't care for his "style" of writing.

BigFish
08-27-2005, 09:47 AM
I agree Mr. Slingah! ;)

Pete F.
08-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Zeno, interesting article, I can see that being a great plug over rocky spots. I was wondering if one of the other plugs you tried when they were banging them on poppers was a bottle plug.

Nebe
08-28-2005, 10:39 AM
still havent got mine :crying:

riverrat2
08-28-2005, 10:47 AM
:af: :wall: What the #$%$%. That Ron powers guy is a freaking moron. Why not just include directions and where to park as well.

fishaholic18
08-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Awsome, talk about giving up spots!

Zeno
08-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Zeno, interesting article, I can see that being a great plug over rocky spots. I was wondering if one of the other plugs you tried when they were banging them on poppers was a bottle plug.

No
Reason for that ,when I use bottles is usually because of rough surf.I would not throw poppers under those conditions.Then again ,I seen a guy nail a 48lb brute on the rock next to me at 2 am on a tin with a tube of all things,few weeks ago.Talking about an eye opening experience :uhoh:

bassmaster
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
No
Reason for that ,when I use bottles is usually because of rough surf.I would not throw poppers under those conditions.Then again ,I seen a guy nail a 48lb brute on the rock next to me at 2 am on a tin with a tube of all things,few weeks ago.Talking about an eye opening experience :uhoh:
was the tail green?
I have taken very large bass on castmasters at night.
Have You ever tossed a wy popper?
reason I ask is it swims real nice
Dave

Zeno
08-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Not sure what color.It was 2 am :uhoh: The reason this was freaky is because it was in the rocks and not on the sand.That particular night I managed some 20 pound class fish on darters but they were ?bumping" the plugs ,not attacking.Almost all fish were snagged in the head ,as if they were hitting with their mouth closed..Kind of saying "we're here but you cant catch us".
I guess nobody told them about sharpness on VMC's ;)

Zeno
08-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Have You ever tossed a wy popper?
reason I ask is it swims real nice
Dave

what's a "wy" popper ?

bassmaster
08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
what's a "wy" popper ?
a plug made by a guy named Jack I forgot if his name is french , but he made plugs top fish M in li
OJ made me some a while back and I always have a blue and silver in my bag.
This Guy fished and made plugs to do what he wanted them to do in order to get bass.
basicly a sinking popper will do the same, but his plugs swim real nice when U need a swimmer with out swapping out.
figure You know why the silver and blue is the color i keep with me

Zeno
08-28-2005, 05:43 PM
a plug made by a guy named Jack I forgot if his name is french , but he made plugs top fish M in li
OJ made me some a while back and I always have a blue and silver in my bag.
This Guy fished and made plugs to do what he wanted them to do in order to get bass.
basicly a sinking popper will do the same, but his plugs swim real nice when U need a swimmer with out swapping out.
figure You know why the silver and blue is the color i keep with me

Jach Frech
One of the best surfacters on li in old days.Member of my club and a hell of a plug builder.
Here is an article on his darter from my club website
http://highhillstriperclub.com/articles_darters.htm

bassmaster
08-28-2005, 08:22 PM
thanks for info I have a binder with all his articles on making plugs.
Zeno, I love tweaking my plugs on fish.
I dont care how ruff a plug is, if it is weighted right anf fishes well it will put out.
color does play a big part though
when I lived in falmouth i use to make poppers for bass and blues, it was way better than paying 7 dollars for a gibbs lure.
I mostly bought gibbs and use to go to the shop in yarmouth and get alot off 1 offs and also I liked a black capt andy, it had a wide lip like bob hans had on his 6'" dannys. the plug is black and I got it at red top and remeber tuning it to catch in falmouth and along the islands.
Jim from eastmans use to get bob hans plugs and I use to buy all the black blue and white dannys i could along with all the solid colors. they swam good with minimal tuning and complimented my gibbs and a few plastic atoms along with some l coopers.
I did real well with them along the islands when I was'nt slapping eels in the rocks or bouncin bottom.
May and june was real good.
In may the bass would be down in the am, so at sun up live herring in the hole put me on alot of 30 and mid 40lb bass.
I would dump the boat and then go back out and work my spots as the bass would be in the rocks on the migrating tide.
any way the bob hans would last alittle while they were not all that hot as far as holding up.
I would pick through and find the ceadar ones, think this guy used all kinds of wood.
in one of the issues of otw a plug i gave harry coons was on the cover ,it was a beat to hell jointed bob hans.
those jointed plug where great in slower water and I still have a couple i think in gibbs, I think one is squid .
I had totes of gibbs but i sold them for like five bucks each i think. whoops.
I was at a place near my house maybe 14 years ago and there was a older Guy and he made a green needle type thing the nose wase about 3/4" and the rest of the body was dowel size.
I had a red and yellow popper I made and we both talked about wood and saving a few dollars.
He would pop his lure and I would cast over Him to draw the fish in, we got a few bass maybe 15 lbs just under the limet to take 1 home.
I remeber seeing him and forgot that guys name But I would invite him out to my rocj and share My herring with him.
I know I have a pic of him we both had some large fish in may..
He wouldnt come on my grady though..
need to talk to You about colors if You could pm Me

eelman
08-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Bob hahn plugs were great, that guy new how to make a plug!

Flaptail
08-29-2005, 05:40 AM
There is some "mis-identification" of plugs in my little piece. I have to apologize for that. The guys at the mag work hard on each issue but sometimes things slip up so the needle listed as a Hab's is actually a Gag's and the Danny listed as a Gibb's is really a Beachmaster and the Blurple swimmer listed as a Beachmaster Danny is obviously not a danny. I had taken pictures and went up to office to identify them but doodoo happens so my apologies to Johnny Hab's and Bobby at Beachmaster. Maybe if my photo techniques get better they will use my pics but I really suck with a camera. :uhuh:

bassmaster
08-29-2005, 11:34 AM
no worrys flapnuts
hey when i get my boat Your the 1st person Im going to throw off it :ss:

Nebe
08-29-2005, 05:10 PM
There is some "mis-identification" of plugs in my little piece. I have to apologize for that. The guys at the mag work hard on each issue but sometimes things slip up so the needle listed as a Hab's is actually a Gag's and the Danny listed as a Gibb's is really a Beachmaster and the Blurple swimmer listed as a Beachmaster Danny is obviously not a danny. I had taken pictures and went up to office to identify them but doodoo happens so my apologies to Johnny Hab's and Bobby at Beachmaster. Maybe if my photo techniques get better they will use my pics but I really suck with a camera. :uhuh:
and that needle was a NIB needle :D

Tagger
08-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm saving this issue.. Flaps the nuts,, Z is pissa.. Sluggo thing was great ..

Flaptail
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
and that needle was a NIB needle :D

Yeah it was. Turned by him and sealed and sebnt to me where I primed, painted, coated and rigged it. And I did identify it as that but what you see is what you get I guess, sorry Tony it's your plug and I told them that was how it was made.

NEBE HAS A SHARP EYE!

Pete F.
08-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah it was. Turned by him and sealed and sebnt to me where I primed, painted, coated and rigged it. And I did identify it as that but what you see is what you get I guess, sorry Tony it's your plug and I told them that was how it was made.

NEBE HAS A SHARP EYE!
When I saw those plugs I thought they must have used their own for photos cuz when I looked closely I saw .................................................. .................................................. .........split rings. :uhoh:
and I thought you were a member of the ringless faction.

bassmaster
08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Flap You are all washed up, You dont fish the sant You woman
that needle looked like one of mine :nopain:

Flaptail
08-30-2005, 05:15 AM
The sand is passe' mon ami, right now I have gone TU-NUTZ! Something about a 40 bluefin crashing a daisy on 30 lb. gear that really gets one's blood going. We went in-shore and jigged a few bass up to 37 pounds and they fought like dish-rags compared to the tuna. :bshake:

Joe
08-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Better writing opportunities for boat fishing - there's a lot more mags.
Flap, you ever consider taking a photo course at the local community college or at Ritz? Photography is a lot easier than it used to be. 40 Tuna crashing stand up gear sounds like a lot of missed photo opps.

Flaptail
08-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Better writing opportunities for boat fishing - there's a lot more mags.
Flap, you ever consider taking a photo course at the local community college or at Ritz? Photography is a lot easier than it used to be. 40 Tuna crashing stand up gear sounds like a lot of missed photo opps.

Capital idea Joe, I really really need some instruction. If you could have seen the fish 1st thing Sat am as it came out of the water. I can still see it clearly, all it's fins were straight out and it's mouth wide open as it hovered for a second a foot out of the water coming up directly behind the stinger squid on the rig. Fabulous!

John E
08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Zeno,

WY = Willie Young. You may have heard of him. ;-)

bassmaster
08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
The sand is passe' mon ami, right now I have gone TU-NUTZ! Something about a 40 bluefin crashing a daisy on 30 lb. gear that really gets one's blood going. We went in-shore and jigged a few bass up to 37 pounds and they fought like dish-rags compared to the tuna. :bshake:
im going tonight and tomorrow,
c,mon join the winning team, if not for me for You fan club :rotf3:

NIB
08-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Why do all u nordern guys call the AJ's Danny's?

Zeno
08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Zeno,

WY = Willie Young. You may have heard of him. ;-)

Ohhh, now I got it.(I am a bit sloooow if you haven't noticed yet :uhoh: ).
He is one of if not the nicest man I ever had a pleasure of knowing.A hell of a surfcaster too :tm:

Pete F.
08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I was always told Danny Pichney or Pichey or Pinchey (Long Island plugmaker) invented them.

Slipknot
08-30-2005, 03:19 PM

like flap said, it was a mistake.

"40 Tuna crashing stand up gear sounds like a lot of missed photo opps."

Joe, he means 40 pounds, not forty tunas.

NIB
08-30-2005, 09:51 PM
They mentioned it in a few different articles.Any how the basic info was a good read.i bought one in RI.I still havent recieved my issue in the mail yet.
Had a decent fish on a Beachmaster AJ.but he came undun.

John E
09-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Z,

Met him a few times at our club meetings. He's a great guy and a load of info. :kewl: