View Full Version : Who's fishing the MV derby?

Mr. Sandman
08-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Are you fishing the MV derby? If so what dates will you be on island?
The derby runs from 9/11-10/15

Squibby17
08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
I will be fishing it, I'm hopeing to get down September 17th-18th weekend, I'm definitly going to be down 29th-1st. Maybe I'll get to weigh in a fish this year, something that didnt happen last year.

striperjerk1
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Yes sir, first time for me on the island and the derby. will be there from 9/11 _ 9/17. theres a few others thats going from here, im sure they,ll chime in. :wave:

JohnR
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
:crying:

I dunno - hope so, I really do. Might need to crash someone's party...

DRUMCORPFAN
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
:wavey: ya ya looking forward to it.

BEETLE
08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I wish I was, but moving end of Sept., then adding a second floor room on the new house. Should be worth the trouble, the pic below is out one of the windows of the new house on the Fore River here in Weymouth.

Maybe I can sneak over for a few days at best, really will be bummed if I can't get there.

t.orlando
08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
First 4 nites, with 3 from board, starting to get excited. Never fished from shore there.

Bronko
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Glad you mentioned it. You clear out that spot in your yard yet Sandman? The 100x100 ft area where I can put my livewell, tent, generator, sleeping bags and plug cart? ;)

riverrat2
08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Ill be there the last weekend of it hopefully. Will also be my first time fishing it.

ThrowingTimber
08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
would love to is anyone going over? Ive never been

Back Beach
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Going over 9/28 through 10/1.

Squid kids Dad
08-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Mr. Sandman,,,I will be there along my brother from Sept 29th till October 9th...Hope to see you ..We met last year near Wasque..Was with Bill & Jules..
By the way how is the beach from Dykes bridge on out??? :wavey:

Mr. Sandman
08-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Well it has been rough. Nortons is still closed because of the plover :devil: and I have walked it several times and I don't see :eyes: no plover. I see terns, gulls, oyster catchers, barn swallows but no plovers and every thing I see can fly. (no baby birds that can not fly yet) This is what happens when the bird lovers take over beach control (long story) that don't want anyone on the beach to begin with. I think it is scheduled to open on the 28th of Aug...but we will see. I called them up and asked them is the beach open to oversand vehicles..."no, not yet and it will not be open for several more weeks". Then I said, This beach has been closed ***ALL*** season...to which he replied, "GOOD"!. I said excuse me? He said, that is right, it has been closed all season.

I think the tone of that call speaks volumes for the focus of the "management".

Even still there are beach areas that have no beach on high tide. Parts of south beach will not be passable. I went to the beach (swimming) and we had to leave because the tide came up right to the rope on the dunes. That said IMO there is still enough room to fish 75% of it.

East beach is bad but not so bad that it will effect fishermen that much. Some of it is closed but it is still accessable from an inland route(s).

You can not drive to the rip. I don't know if that will be opened or not by derby time.

There is plenty of bait and fishing is decent and picking up. I think it will be a good derby. Lets hope they do the best they can with the beaches.

The MV surfcasters web site has the following info about beaches:

Beach Report

It’s amazing that a few small birds can accomplish what three consecutive weekend Nor’easters could not--close the beaches!!

The County Beach at Norton’s Point has two Piping Plover nests and was closed on June 25 and will remain closed until the birds fledge in late July or early August. Likewise for most of East Beach on Chappy where there are four piping plover nests-three on, or in back of East Beach, and one at the western end of Wasque by the Swan Pond. East Beach is currently closed to OSV traffic from approximately ¼ mile south of Dike Bridge to Wasque Point. The senior parking lot at Wasque is also off limits as in addition to the bird nests, the area suffered beach erosion. Dave Belcher is going to attempt to re-open that area after the plovers disappear. The remainder of the Trustees property at Cape Poge remains open with the exception of Arruda Point which suffered a great deal of beach erosion and is currently closed to vehicle traffic. The beach there has started to rebuild but is severely slanted from the dune to the surfs edge. The area under the lighthouse also suffered severe beach erosion and several large boulders and other obstacles have been exposed. Driving there is hazardous and care should be taken.

Finally, it appears as though the MVSA efforts over the winter went for naught as the County recently announced that management of the Norton Point Beach will be turned over to the Dukes County Sheriffs Dept. There is no word on when or even if, the air inflations station will be installed. The MVSA Committee as well as other interested parties had hoped the County would somehow get the Trustees of the Reservations involved in the management of Norton’s Point. Regrettably, it now appears unlikely to happen in the very near future.

Squid kids Dad
08-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Damn..I hope east beach is open all the way out..Thats my favorite Albie fishing area..After driving out to Cape Pogue last year I didnt think in front of the lighthouse would be passable this year..It was pretty steep then...We shall see shortly...to the plovers and there friends I say .. :rocketem: :nailem: :soon:

tynan19
08-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Have rods and eels will travel. :ss: Have a case of redbull on standby and a few guys from the board. Can't wait. I have read the book "Reading The Water" about 3 times this last month.

tlapinski
08-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Are you fishing the MV derby? If so what dates will you be on island?
The derby runs from 9/11-10/15
It all depends on when you invite me out there! :wavey:

ScottM
08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Will be there Sept 10-18 and again Sept 29-Oct 2. I was getting some of the albie gear tuned up today. :hihi:

Sandman, I think I've fished next to you on East Beach but not 100% sure. If you see some guys down towards Wasque in the morning (south of Bill & Jules) in a black Grand Cherokee and maroon F150 w/cap, stop and say hi. I'm the one with the goatee.

Fish On
08-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Of course. Arriving 9/10 and departing on 10/16. I hope to do some things this year that I don't get to do during a regular week long vacation. Hopefully I'll fish squibby from the beach. I also plan to try the Elizabeth's which I've never done before. Will also be volunteering at the filet table for at least a few nights.

I'll be checking PM's when I have internet access. If anyone from the board wants to team up for a surf or boat trip that would be great. I hope to see you at the weigh station again this year Jim, if not share a night of fishing.

I hope someone from the board takes down a grand prize! Good luck to all!

Dr. Lickman
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
The good doctor will be there from the 14th thru the 18th

Squid kids Dad
08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
ScottM, We fish there every morning also..will be there 29th till the 9th...Will have a black ford ranger with a cap and racks on top and on the front bumper..stop by and say hello..

Squibby17
08-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Have rods and eels will travel. :ss: Have a case of redbull on standby and a few guys from the board. Can't wait. I have read the book "Reading The Water" about 3 times this last month.

You mean my bible :blush:

The mid Septmember trip I literally invited myself to my friends house for the weekend 16th-18th. Unfortunately hes not into fishing too much and he dislocated his shoulder (casting with a sling ain't easy)
Therefore I may be car less, I may resort to hitch hiking (its been done before) but if anyone wants to go out one night and let me tag along, I will keep my mouth shut, and I have a pretty good knowledge of the island. PM if you can assist a poor guy with strong desire to fish

The first weekend in October I will be out with my dads crew. We are always on Chappy, look for a Fox Run Equipment, John Deere truck or a white four runner with the licence plate "hawk em" Feel free to stop by and share an adult beverage and shoot the #^&$

Swimmer
08-25-2005, 11:29 AM
What my brother, Squid Kid's Dad, said about anyone here on this site. Have black ford ranger Mass. plate 94M. Stop and say hello. Will be on island till the 9th of October. It seems Sandman that everyone in the Bill and Jul's entourage met you but me.

Marc Z
08-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Squid,

In June the light was passable at lower stages of the tide, just be careful at high tide. It got washed out bigtime this winter with the Noreasters. It probably filled in a bit since then. Sandman will know for sure.

lurch
08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
My anny is on Oct 11 and I plan on spending time over there for a weekend or two. I might have to sleep in the truck for one of the trips but I want to fish it this year! My wife said that she would fish with me when we head over....WAY COOL!

Been there twice this year and the place is Striped Bass Mecca!

Mr. Sandman
08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
So far it looks like around 9/30 (or perhaps 9/17) would be a good time for some kind of get-together. I have a calender with a line for the period of each of your stays, the date with the most lines will probaby be the best date.

If anyone else is going please post the dates you plan to be there.

Squid kids Dad
08-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks Marc Z....Looking forward to it Mr.Sandman ..If we are there at that time when you have it

lurch
08-26-2005, 11:02 PM
hell if there is going to be a "get to gether" I will make it down!

Mr. Sandman
09-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Guys,

As I mentioned I would like to host a small afternoon family style BBQ at my home for some of the folks from sb.com that plan to fish the derby. Perhaps some of us can hook up for surf fishing :ss: that evening? (Sorry, I will not take you to my secret spots…this is a contest after all but we can fish some pretty decent water.) I will provide food, beverages and a place, (you can even park in my driveway :hee: ) You can bring your wife if you like. All I ask is that everyone is reasonably well mannered as my wife, kids and dog (energetic golden ret) will be there. (Caveats: I don’t have a waterfront estate and live in a modest home and quiet neighborhood. I can’t house anyone nor can you camp out in my yard. Beside me, there will be no celebrities at this event. :bl2: ) However, I might also invite a few island friends who fish as well. We just need to keep it civil and I don't want my house trashed. Judging from the folks that I have met that have fished past derby’s that should not be a problem, as you all seem quite nice. You might pick up a few local tips…who knows?

So as for a date.... I was thinking Saturday, Sept 17th 2:00-5:00pm. I picked this time as to not cramp anyone’s fishing style for that evening. (And that date is good for me.) I would like to know about how many would be here so I can have enough eats so please PM me if you plan on attending. I will reply with my phone number and directions (I don’t care to post it openly).

If you are not here to fish the derby at that time it is really not worth making the trip just for this. If you are here fishing, and recuperating from the previous day/nights fishing, then stop by and have a burger, beverage and BS with fellow fishermen. I just thought it would be interesting to gather since many are here anyway just hanging out at that time of day.

If you are coming over on a different date...I am sure our paths will cross.

Anyway, I hope you can attend and best of luck in the 60th derby, I hope you create some great fishing memories while you’re here. That is really what this is all about.

Catchem up!

Jim

vineyardblues
09-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Very nice of you to offer your place for a quick GT for the members :)
As for the fishing spots just tell them to turn around and walk straight . lol
I hope to hit a few weekends but will be over Oct 2 until the 12th
I hope to catch up with the Sandman and maybe have a cold one :)
Anyone else who is over can join in :) And good luck to all ><> ><> ><>

VB

nightprowler
09-05-2005, 10:03 PM
for those of you interested in fishing chappy, nortons is now open and east beach is open all the way to the rip. the road under the light is passable as long as there isn't a large moontide with winds from the nor'east. a lot of beach was lost over the winter, but it has flattend out so the area is passable. if anyone is spending time out there, i have been a ranger for the last several years, unfortunately this year i am only working on sundays. im the younger ranger most likely with a fishing rod in the back of the truck looking for fish, im new to this board, obviously with the one post, will be on-island most every night of the derby :hihi: ...super excited and cant wait to get out and fish, tight lines!

Squid kids Dad
09-05-2005, 10:38 PM
nightprowler..Thanks for the heads up on the beaches..will bo over there sept 29 till oct 10th..will keep an eye out for you

Flaptail
09-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Don't fish derbys, tournaments etc., don't believe in them never did. I just want to fish and enjoy no need for competition or stress. I can tell you a funny story of how I and a friend called another buddy who was on the Vinyard fishing the derby and not catching while we were on The Provincelands shore killing them so we would call on our cells and let him listen to our screaming drags while he was on the beach at Zach's Cliffs each night catching nothing. It was pretty humorous. He let some other guys listen to our messages I guess they didn't appreciate it. But if it is just to get away then by all means go. Albies should be dropped from the list of fish that can be enterred they are all wasted.

BasicPatrick
09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
The Derby limit of 3 fish per badge is the maximum number of false albacore that you can bring to the weigh station during the entire Derby. It includes all false albacore brought to the weigh station, whether or not they meet the 25 inch minimum size. Therefore, when you bring a false albacore to the weigh station, it will count toward your individual limit regardless of its size. Once you have reached your Derby limit of 3 false albacore per badge, you are no longer permitted to bring a false albacore to the weigh station.

The Martha’s Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby Committee is concerned about the number of false albacore landed by Derby participants in recent years. Since the taste of this species is not appealing, most of the landed fish are discarded. The Committee firmly believes that the Derby should not promote the needless killing of fish. Although the minimum size of 25 inches was established in 1998 to reduce landings, over 600 false albacore were weighed in 2004 and this number does not represent the actual number of fish killed, which was considerably higher.

Therefore, the Derby Committee has decided that a false albacore bag limit is necessary to further reduce the wasteful killing of these fish. An individual Derby limit of three (3) fish per badge and the 25 inch minimum size will be in effect for the 2005 Derby.

The Derby Committee appreciates the cooperation of all Derby participants in adhering to this rule change. It is only through your conservation efforts that future generations of fishermen will enjoy the 60 year Derby tradition. Thank you.

reelecstasy
09-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I will be there :ss:

Mr. Sandman
09-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Judging from the amount of respose I got the 17th I guess is a poor date. I am up for suggestions. Weekday? weekend? or should I forgetaboutit and just go fishing?

DRUMCORPFAN
09-08-2005, 11:55 AM
well jim, i know five of us will be there the first week. we can bring food and drinks too. :bgi:

Squid kids Dad
09-08-2005, 01:29 PM
We will run into you somewhere when we are there..Just not then...Cant wait...21 more days :wavey:

Mr. Sandman
09-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Final mention; My house Sept 17 2pm. PM me for directions. Hope you can make it.

Fish On
09-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I'll be there for sure. Already put it in my calendar!

Swimmer
09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Flaptail you may not like contest or competitions, but the $40.00 entry fee gets you much more than into the derby. The derby for many of us is the least of what we care about while on the island.