View Full Version : Otis

JohnR
08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Once you go BRAC....

Looks like the swan song for Otis and the Eagles. In what seems to be an ill-advised move and barring something unforseen, the Eagles are going to Jersey. The primary air defense / intercept base for the North East in recent memory is going. The defensive ring has been reduced by two hundred or so miles and the response time 30 minutes. I am far from an expert but this seems ill advised for both Boston and New York....

I will also miss the rare zoom climb to 5k feet and I will miss the sound of freedom when wetting a line on Wasque. I truly hope we don't miss the extra security in the north east provided by those few planes...

basswipe
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
What a shame.

Now the entire NE is left without an airbase.

thefishingfreak
08-26-2005, 06:16 PM
hanscom air force base.
probly 3 minute scrable to boston.
love seeing those things every so often.

huge field accross the way seems like the holding pattern for any events in boston. world series ,july 4'th flyovers etc... we get about 7-8 circles overhead before they split to do the one flyover downtown. love that sound!!

Nebe
08-26-2005, 06:35 PM
doesnt make sense to me... but then agian not much going on in DC makes much sense to me..

how about that pat robertson :wall:

JohnR
08-26-2005, 07:01 PM
hanscom air force base.
probly 3 minute scrable to boston.
love seeing those things every so often.

huge field accross the way seems like the holding pattern for any events in boston. world series ,july 4'th flyovers etc... we get about 7-8 circles overhead before they split to do the one flyover downtown. love that sound!!

Hanscom does not have any figher jets permanently assigned, nothing on alert but a couple of cessnas :hihi:

Mike P
08-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Funny, on 9/11, the 15s from Otis damn near beat the 16s from McGuire to the area of the WTC.

BigFish
08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Our government....what a bunch of brain surgeons! :tm:

Backbeach Jake
08-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Our government....what a bunch of brain surgeons! :tm:
Yeh, they practice on each other... Gonna miss those jets flying by the house. You can hear them from miles away, sound real high performance. Miss the sonic booms of my childhood, too. Rattled the windows in the house. The Sound of Freedom.. What a circus in Washingtoon!

Bob Thomas
08-27-2005, 12:40 AM
"Homeland Defense" What a crock of crud! :rocketem: :rocketem:

Raven
08-27-2005, 07:00 AM
What a circus in Washingtoon!

it sure is.......

Karl F
08-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Gonna move them to Barnes in Westfield.
Big hurt will be for the CG planes, they have no money in budget to maintain airstrip, they've been just sharing the filed, not the cost... wonder if they will stay at Otis, or leave :huh: if the CG goes.... :err:

Well, I wonder how long it wil be now, till they build the "South Cape Connector" ..... They will need a new project after "The Flyover" is done

Jenn
08-28-2005, 03:13 PM
News today said we will have them right here in Westfield.

Speaking of Barnes anyone go to the airshow???? got to see the Thunderbirds from my backyard this weekend!!!! Pretty awesome to feel them rocking the house when they fly right over!!!!

Flaptail
08-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Actually, when you think real hard about this and analyze the whole situation the closure recommendations to BRAC from the Pentagon (read: Donald Rumsfeld) is not in anyway, shape or form based upon anything more than contempt for the body politic of the Northeast, which carried fav son Kerry in the last election. It's spite for the northeast, pure and simple. It was done becuase we didn't support George W. Bush and his ticket, otherwise known as a nitwit president,a so far right wing vp its' not funny, a war monger sec. of defense ( in this case more like sec. of offense than defense), the token black person as Sec. Of state who also happens to be a woman, the token Mexican as Att. general, the token Asian as Sec. of trans. and the usual assembly of religious christian extremeists, oil lobbyists, CIA operatives and cronies, a little nepotism just adds to the bunch. They blantantly left the Northeast vunerable and I may interject I beleive they are hoping that someone does something catastrophic to a major city in the norteast so they can use it as an excuse to go to Iran. We are pretty much being dangled for all the despotic, extremeist religious Islamic fundementalists as bait.

G.W and the V.P have made record profits on thier shares of oil stock. G.W. alone made over 250,000 in the last two months alone. Not bad for a nitwit. They know they are out of a job in three years and why not ride the tide of specualtion and let oil prices ride. Shell Canada has posted profits of record proportions in the last month that when broken down equal 1.4 Canadian dollars a minute! That's right a minute. Boy they are tres' Jolie up der right now! :realmad:

Flaptail
08-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Thats 1.4 million canadian dollars a minute btw.

RIJIMMY
08-29-2005, 01:42 PM
uhh flap, pay attention to national news and not just local, based all over the country have been closed, not just the north east.

outfished
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Go Canada :cheers:

Swimmer
08-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey Flaptail next time don't be so unbiased!

Flaptail
08-30-2005, 05:20 AM
uhh flap, pay attention to national news and not just local, based all over the country have been closed, not just the north east.

Yeah but they still got a few bases left in thier "neighborhoods" we is left naked. :mad: