View Full Version : Depthfinder help

Fishpart
08-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Have to help someone out who has a thru hull transducer that was glued into the bilge with some sort of softish glue that came apart (fiberglass center console). What is the best way to glue it back on? I was thinking clean the bilge and transducer with brake cleaner and glue it back in with marine below waterline silicone and then maintain the bilge a couple of oil absorbant pads in to keep the oil from attacking the adhesive.

What do you recommend???

fishaholic18
08-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I Googled and it says to use Two-part slow cure epoxy
http://www.humminbird.com/generic.asp?ID=406

seabass
08-28-2005, 01:12 PM
2 part epoxy, no air bubbles!

JohnR
08-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Have to help someone out who has a thru hull transducer that was glued into the bilge with some sort of softish glue that came apart (fiberglass center console). What is the best way to glue it back on? I was thinking clean the bilge and transducer with brake cleaner and glue it back in with marine below waterline silicone and then maintain the bilge a couple of oil absorbant pads in to keep the oil from attacking the adhesive.

What do you recommend???

The boat needs to to be pulled out, bilge cleaned (pressure wash for starters). It looked like it was stuck in a bed of 4200. He was not sure if he was going to stick with that one or get a new one...

Fishpart
08-29-2005, 06:16 AM
That boat never comes out of the water.

Clammer
08-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Ya think a new D/F & radar will solve this swimming rock porblem??????????? :bshake:

missing link
09-08-2005, 07:07 PM
I have my ducer mounted in bildge in a puddle of marine silicone no problems since 6/03 reads bottom @ wot and marks fish w/ arch no problem ,Eagle 320df
link sr

slapshot
09-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Airmar is the manufacturer of most of the shoot thru hull transducers. They no longer reccomend the two part epoxy. I would go to www.airmar.com and look up the instructions for the unit you have. It might be the P-79. Does the transudcer sit in a cup with markings on it for your boats deadrise angle?

If its the cup, you have to seal the cup to the hull with 5200. Then you fill the cup with oil (I think its mineral oil or whatever they use for constipation) then you put the tranducer in the oil bath sealing it to the cup.