View Full Version : Katrina

fishaholic18
08-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Looks like this is gonna do some serious damage.
Evacuation ordered; 165 mph winds, 28-foot tidal surge possible, gusts to 200 mph.
Lets pray that they all make it thru this one safely.

They say this one could effect the whole country if it takes out the pipe lines that supply us with fuel oil and natural gas. Gas and fuel oil prices could rise to .30 more a gallon on Monday.

JohnR
08-28-2005, 08:04 PM
New Orleans is going to get hammered. God I hope they survive down there...

I just topped my tank off today, all $63 and 4 days worth. Hess 2.57 per gallon on Airport Rd...

fishweewee
08-28-2005, 08:10 PM
katrina is a bitch.

light sweet crude october futures contract is up 3.5 already, and on this lovely sunday evening the S&P 500 futures is down nearly 10 pts.

it's going to be an ugly day. good thing I'm staying home. :yak5:

fishaholic18
08-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Track it here.
http://www.turnto10.com/hurricanetracker/index.html

Bass Babe
08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
I was listening to 680 AM this morning. They had their own news reporters and were also tapping into Fox News (fair and balanced... :rotf3: ) One jerk called in to say that he hopes New Orleans sinks into the sea like Atlantis. Someone else called in to talk about how bodies would start to float down the street when cemeteries flooded. Yet another doomsayer called in to tell us that if anyone got swept away in the flood waters, they would get carried all the way out into the Gulf of Mexico. From the actual reporters -- the roof of the Superdome was ripping off, the levee by the 9th ward was breached, and historic buildings in the French Quarter were being ripped apart. All this in the first ten minutes of turning the news on. I'm so glad my sister and her family evacuated New Orleans, but I hope they have a home to get back to.

fishaholic18
08-30-2005, 12:37 AM
So when's the rest of the world gonna send some relief money our way for a change? :mad:

Bass Babe
08-30-2005, 07:16 AM
So when's the rest of the world gonna send some relief money our way for a change? :mad:

I heard on the news it's not necessary to raise funds, as FEMA has enough. But donations to the Red Cross would be appreciated, as they're mobilizing for their largest relief effort in history. You can call 1-800-HELP-NOW or go to The American Red Cross Website (www.redcross.org) I'll donate some blood to send over there if there's an easy place nearby, but I have a feeling our family's extra money will be going to my sister and her family -- hopefully for moving costs to Massachusetts, as well as for hotel charges, and who knows what will need replacing from her first floor New Orleans apartment. :uhoh:

fishaholic18
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I heard on the news it's not necessary to raise funds, :uhoh:
Of course not...We'll all just pay for it! :mad:

The Dad Fisherman
08-30-2005, 10:22 AM

:claps: :claps: :claps:

with you 110% on that.

Skip N
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM

Sadly we all know the answer to that question already. The rest of the world sucks. We give them tons of $$ when they are in need but they dont give us %$%$%$%$ to help us out in return. :realmad:

Raven
08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
the hand that fed them gets bitten. :mad:

Skip N
08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I say if other countries dont help we shut them off for good. No more US donations. Just give us something to show they care. Doesnt even have to be that much. its the principle of the matter. But they won't because they are all greedy SOB's.

Bliz
08-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out about damage assessment?

My Parents moved to MS 3 weeks ago to be with a sister I have out there.

So far, all lines seem to be down, and I'm not sure how they made out.

They are in Petal, MS near Hattiesburg.

JohnR
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Don - check FEMA and Red Cross websites for a databse system.

Hope your family is OK

Bliz
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks John.

None of us have heard from neither my Parents nor my Sister's families.

I'm headed for FEMA's website now...

Bliz
08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Nada there...

justplugit
08-30-2005, 01:05 PM

Ya FA, but didn't you know we are an evil country and our citizens deserve what happens to us, 9/11 and all:huh: We don't deserve help, even though we are and have always been the most generous country and citizens in the world. :af: :mad:

Even worse,some of our own citizens believe we are evil too. :realmad:

justplugit
08-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Geez sorry Bliz that you have to go through that worry.I know alot of the cell phone service was down yesterday but maybe you could keep trying the cells. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Did a google earth search and it doesn't look like there are any rivers or large bodies of water in that area.

Found a National Guard recruiters office in the area at 601-544-6429, maybe they could help or direct you. Hope it helps.

Slipknot
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Terrible disaster down there :( just awful.

I hope your family are ok Bliz, hopefully they got to a safe place.

MakoMike
08-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Nada there...

I think I read a news article on either IWON or yahoo that said that the damage around the Hattiesburg area wasn't too bad. No where near like the damage they had down near the coast.

Bliz
08-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Just got this in...

As the first blush of a new day dawned today, the Pine Belt got its first real glimpse of the wreckage and ruin of Hurricne Katrina that smashed the area like a punch to the gut.
Trees were snapped like toothpicks or ripped entirely from the ground by their roots, billboards collapsed and shattered on the ground and signs and light stands crumpled under the 100 mph-plus winds.

Many Hattiesburg area homes and businesses were destroyed by the powerful hurricane that came ashore near New Orleans just after sunup on Monday and then mowed through the heart of Mississippi, leaving a wide path of destruction.

“I have never lived through anything like this before,” said Joseph Oliver of Hattiesburg as he surveyed damage to his West Fourth Street home early today.

“I was here with Camille and lived in Florida when Andrew hit and nothing compares to this. This is an absolute nightmare.”
Katrina was the worst storm to hit the Pine Belt since Hurricane Camille in 1969.

Hardy Street, one of Hattiesburg’s main thoroughfares, looked as if Katrina had flicked her hand across the road and brushed aside trees, signs and power lines like an angry child flinging her toys.

The storm took no pity. Only the homes and businesses fortunate enough to have generators had power. Officials said it could be weeks before power is fully restored. Water, telephone, cable, Internet and natural gas services were mostly gone.

There were no confirmed reports of deaths or major injuries in the Pine Belt, but Gov. Haley Barbour said unconfirmed reports put the death toll at up to 80 in Harrison County – which includes Biloxi and Gulfport. Barbour said the death toll could climb.

Hattiesburg, Petal and Forrest County officials ordered a dusk-to-dawn curfew Monday and today.

This gives me some hope that everybody is okay...

Bass Babe
08-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Bliz, I hope your family is okay; it sounds promising. Cell phone service is horrid down there. I've tried calling my sister quite a few times and only lucked out once or twice because I was circle dialing for tens of minutes. I'll hazard a guess regular service is probably out, too. Maybe you could shine out the family bat signal and wait for a response beam?

Bliz
08-31-2005, 06:13 AM
There hasn't been any response as of yet.

We are hopeful though, as no news... is good news.

The rest of my family are networking together to get information.

Raven
08-31-2005, 07:05 AM
i think thats a very conservative estimate for damage assessment.
especially when it was just anounced that 4 CITIES are completely
destroyed.

BigFish
08-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Fishaholic18...I was thinking the exact same thing.......screw us I guess!! :splat:

Raven
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
national guard troops ....have been called to head down to katrina's hell.

The problem is....it's as deadly as IRAQ there and will become

even more so with so many dead people,dead animals, floating fish and sewage infecting

the flooded areas. There will be bloodshed over the looting quite soon.

stormfish
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey Bass Babe,
what kinda economics are you going by? Bush cut 42% of FEMA's flooding fund in 2001 in support of the IRAQ war. FEMA has enough to cover the disaster just like Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

The rest of the world would donate funds to the US tragedy because they love America! They do don't they???

Raven
09-01-2005, 10:36 AM
after the rescue mission is over....and clean up begins.......

unfortunately even the houses that survived the worst damage with have to be bulldozed to end mold growth taking over and will never be inhabitable again.
with flooding predicted to take months to subside and a temperature of 80 degrees and up....there's no stopping it..or living with it.

there is a silver lining in the clouds...there will be a building boom down there like we've never seen before on a very massive scale.

Bass Babe
09-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Stormfish, I'm just going by what they reported on the news. I know very little about economics, nor do I profess to know much. Like I said, "I heard on the news". You obviously know way more about FEMA and whatnot, so thanks for the heads up.

MakoMike
09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
If they have any smarts they will rebuild the city in a different location and on higher ground.

JohnR
09-01-2005, 12:45 PM
If they have any smarts they will rebuild the city in a different location and on higher ground.

Where? Any decent sizeable amount of dry land is nowhere nearby or acceptable to build. The port of New Orleans is the gateway to the Missisippi and conducts double digit commerce in our economy. And the cost of rebuilding a new city would fasr exceed the cost of what is there. If this were to happen to NY or Boston, nobody would consider relocating a city. It would be safer and more practical to rebuild that city and rebuild it in a way that the likelihood of a repeat is greatly reduced. Yes, changes need to be made but New Orleans does deserve to be fixed..

Nebe
09-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Stormfish, I'm just going by what they reported on the news. I know very little about economics, nor do I profess to know much. Like I said, "I heard on the news". You obviously know way more about FEMA and whatnot, so thanks for the heads up.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372455,00.html

"uffah!!"
09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Nebe,Eben, or whatever you are calling yourself,"fah-gedda-bout-it"!!!! Your just one of those guy's that can't see the forest because of the trees. I suppose your one of thse that would blame the Republican Party because you
got a cold!! You Dummy-crats are all alike!!!!!

zacs
09-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Uffa, you listen to way to much Rush.

You're just spewing catch phrases.

nebE has made some valid points, if you disagree, lets here you back 'em up...

Bass Babe
09-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Unless this is all in fun and I'm missing something, can we refrain from arguing like children? It's giving our moderators way too much work. Where's the love? :love:

Nebe
09-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Nebe,Eben, or whatever you are calling yourself,"fah-gedda-bout-it"!!!! Your just one of those guy's that can't see the forest because of the trees. I suppose your one of thse that would blame the Republican Party because you
got a cold!! You Dummy-crats are all alike!!!!!

Bush just a few months ago signed a bill to cut down thousands of acres of trees surrounding proteted salmon spawning grounds in the northwest....thus ruining the potential for these fish to spawn.... I cant see the trees because they have all been cut down :bshake:

Bass Babe
09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Anyone looking for family and friends can call the Red Cross Hotline at 1-866-GET-INFO, according to CNN.

basswipe
09-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Possible good news for my girlfriend's sister and her family who live in Slidell,La.

Me being a Nascar guy I ran across an article on their site about Busch series driver Kim Crosby who is also from Slidell.Their houses are in the same neighborhood and Ms. Crosby's house is NOT under water.

A glimmer of hope.Lets just hope the looting hasn't been to bad in Slidell.