View Full Version : canal plug rod

CANAL RAT
08-30-2005, 09:56 PM
i am looking for a low cost(tsunami,tica,lami surf king) or used rod that will be used for plugs in the canal.what OZ's should the rod be rated for(i am thinking maybe 1-5oz or 3-6oz). i am looking for a rod in the 10ft range(spinning,two piece). i use a 9 footer now but find it does not have the power needed and the hight to put the brakes on a big fish

thanks guys

fishaholic18
08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
1-5 or 3-6 covers a pretty wide range.
Narrow it down for us. What will you be throwing?
If your gonna throw jigs 4-6oz, you need a breakaway 1209 or SU 1209, but you won't be throwing Bombers with either.
I use my Batson SW 1209 tho throw anything from plugs to jigs when I just want to use one stick, but it's a 1 piece. Not the greatest jig rod, but it got me by till I built my Breakaway.

CANAL RAT
08-31-2005, 01:41 PM
just plugs no jigs

MAC
08-31-2005, 06:38 PM
2-5 oz should cover anything you want to throw plugwise.

NIB
08-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Everyone would like a rod that is rated 1-5 oz.Why not a rod I can fish a bomber wit as well as a tro a 5 oz. jig with.Now that u get the point there is no such thing.Although rod manufacturers will have u believe that be true.Basiclly rod ratings can be misleading in most production rods an blanks.Hopefully when a company does rate a rod say 2-5 it should have a sweet spot around 3.5 onces.should be the weight where the rod preforms at its finest.In the ditch most guys will plug with things they can cast great distance's I Have a Old Gibbs catalog where they list canal specials up to 5oz's(thanks Boatman).I would bet for the most part a plug selection of 2-4 onces will cover a good selection of wood an tin lures to fish the canal with. so a rod with a rating sweet spot of 3 oz's should be what ur lookin for.When u go to the shop ask the proprietor if the rod will handle 3 oz's comfortable.They will probably say yes give the rod a waggle an use ur noodle.they are out to sell equipment be sure U think it will do the job.I have over 60 fishin poles.I fish with the best ones the most expensive ones. I should have saved more money long ago an bought good from the beginning.U can't go wrong with a good lami or Allstar.save ur pennies be patient an go the extra for quality.Go take a trip an see mike thomas at M&D's he won't steer u wrong.That goes a long way...Also consider the fact that once u hook a fish in the canal u gotta get em back in the current.

CANAL RAT
09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
with all my rods (tsunami) 2-4oz is really 1-3 the rod gets the the feeling of being over loaded a 4ozs.so a rod of 3-6ozs would really be 2-5oz. ok now thats confusing

Fishpart
09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
What NIB said. You'll save more by saving your lunch money and buying what you really want the first time instead of buying the cheap one and then buying the good one later....