View Full Version : POT

greenmeanie
09-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Took the drive to my favorite spot in SOCO and find a damn lobster pot right in they way :( Fish where hitting good there to just couldn't get away from the Lobster POT. Changed spots but the weeds just where to much.

basswipe
09-04-2005, 09:51 AM
That's always a bummer.

Same thing happened to my favorite spring spot 2yrs ago.Someone decided to moor their dinghy right in the middle of where the fish are.The mooring gets removed for the winter so I do get a couple of weeks to fish the spot before that dinghy shows up in mid May for the season.Its to bad because that spot continues to produce right thru the end of June.

I kinda chuckle when I think that someone would actually moor a dinghy.

LeCounts1099
09-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Hasn't this been a problem at Q for some time now? Won't get to SoCo myself 'till mid- week to check, but I heard pot(s) made fishing impossible there this year?

Sucks, GM, wherever it is-- pots ruining obvious surf- fishing spots are our next frontir/ battle! Maybe some locals will go swimming out to & visit these pots before the water cools too much? :devil2:

Seriously: best make DZ aware of the location, through PM if you like. He of course is already establishing a dialog on this subject w/ potters (as if a guy who puts a pot at the mouth of a B-way can be "reasoned" with! :yak5:

MikeTLive
09-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I wonder if the rec. lobstermen bitch about surfcasters the same as some folks here bitch about them?

Backbeach Jake
09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Lost my favorite Bayside spot of 30 years to recreational boat moorings. Can't get off a decent cast without dinging some rich bastage's Grady. Lotta big fish came outa there over the years.

basswipe
09-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Its seems anywhere there is water there are now moorings.It's getting out of control.

LeCounts1099
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, "MikeTLive??"... Want to make the case FOR placing recreational or commercial Lobster or fish pots, within casting distance of prime Surfcaster territory... WHEN you have a whole ocean out there to clutter- up?? Want to tell me the NEED to place pots within 150 yards of shore ever? (esp. to the dissatisfaction of hundreds of surfcasters??). Ever hear of a reef??

Come on... I'm for "small Government" & not legislating everything!-- but this is an example of the need to do so about every small/ obvious thing! Seems IF an individual CAN seek his interests (even as small as some free runt Lobsters) at the expense of hundreds, he will! The "good of the majority" & "public resource" be damned!

I must be an idiot: it would never occur to me, to hog/ "own" a common/ public resource, for a few bucks more in my pocket! Unfortunately, we need laws to stop others without common- sense or shame from doing so :doh: These "potters" are the equivalent of boat fishermen who only stop in areas where they see other boats stopped first-- forget about finding one's own!

I hear WH is getting bad too? That's an obvious place for this abuse to happen...

Mr. Sandman
09-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I am working on a device that you can cast out and snag a pot warp, it has a pair of razor sharp cutters and will cut the line with <10# of pull. I figure if we can clear the area ourselves they might keep them out of range.

Pete_G
09-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, "MikeTLive??"... Want to make the case FOR placing recreational or commercial Lobster or fish pots, within casting distance of prime Surfcaster territory... WHEN you have a whole ocean out there to clutter- up?? Want to tell me the NEED to place pots within 150 yards of shore ever? (esp. to the dissatisfaction of hundreds of surfcasters??). Ever hear of a reef??

Come on... I'm for "small Government" & not legislating everything!-- but this is an example of the need to do so about every small/ obvious thing! Seems IF an individual CAN seek his interests (even as small as some free runt Lobsters) at the expense of hundreds, he will! The "good of the majority" & "public resource" be damned!

I must be an idiot: it would never occur to me, to hog/ "own" a common/ public resource, for a few bucks more in my pocket! Unfortunately, we need laws to stop others without common- sense or shame from doing so :doh: These "potters" are the equivalent of boat fishermen who only stop in areas where they see other boats stopped first-- forget about finding one's own!

I hear WH is getting bad too? That's an obvious place for this abuse to happen...

Well put. They yell at us just for getting near their pots while trying to fish the whitewater on charters. It's a public resource. Take your private concerns and F off. The guys dropping pots off Newport must have the MOST spectacular collection of Habs, Tattoo, and Beachmaster of anyone in New England...

"Ever hear of a reef??" is pretty funny BTW, and a very good question.

And I really don't care if they bitch about us, we're in the right, so they should feel free to stick that rusty 4/0 treble on my favorite plug in their hand when they pull the pots.

Lastly, runts with shell rot is all they seem to catch. I always shine my lights into the pots to see who's home when they are close enough to do so and that's all I ever see.

Pete_G
09-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I am working on a device that you can cast out and snag a pot warp, it has a pair of razor sharp cutters and will cut the line with <10# of pull. I figure if we can clear the area ourselves they might keep them out of range.

I hope you're serious. Keep me posted. Van Staal cutters do a number on the rope they typically use as well. Usually just 2 bites at the most.

JoeP
09-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Well put. They yell at us just for getting near their pots while trying to fish the whitewater on charters. It's a public resource. Take your private concerns and F off. The guys dropping pots off Newport must have the MOST spectacular collection of Habs, Tattoo, and Beachmaster of anyone in New England...

"Ever hear of a reef??" is pretty funny BTW, and a very good question.

And I really don't care if they bitch about us, we're in the right, so they should feel free to stick that rusty 4/0 treble on my favorite plug in their hand when they pull the pots.

Lastly, runts with shell rot is all they seem to catch. I always shine my lights into the pots to see who's home when they are close enough to do so and that's all I ever see.

My sentiments exactly. :kewl: :kewl:

greenmeanie
09-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I almost wonder if it is someone from one of the houses down there to try to get rid of us? If they make it hard on us I think they will hope we fade away.

janiejones
09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
:gu:

basswipe
09-07-2005, 03:30 PM
The guys dropping pots off Newport must have the MOST spectacular collection of Habs, Tattoo, and Beachmaster of anyone in New England...

And then they resell them on freakin ebay.

Swimmer
09-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I can see th headlines now in the PRO JO, "WEEKEND RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN SHOT DEAD BY ENRAGED LOBSTERMAN", The storyline would follow , "78 eight year old Carnegie Mellow heir found three dead fishermen this morning in front of her mansion just off of Bellvue Avenue when she took her favorite pet pekenese (sic) dog for a walk down to the oceans edge. Atop the granite wall along the boardwalk in front of Miss Mellon's mansion were three local men each with one shot to the head. The men's were indentified as GreanieMeanie, Lecounts99, and Mr. Sandman who was visiting the aforemention Mr. Meanie and Mr. 99. Found by the men's side were cutting devices commonly used to slice lobster bouys lines that are placed to close to shore inhibiting the fishermen's ability to cast great distances and reel in thier catch after hooking the fish. Miss Mellon told the responding officers she saw a novi hulled lobster boat speeding from the scene at better than 6 knots. Miss Mellon felt the lobster boat was going flat out. She further stated that she was quite familiar with a boats speed because she used to pilot her daddy's 500 foot sailboat called GREEDY ME! Police feel this incident was an escalation of the ongoing feud between the South County boys and the lobster pot protection society headed by by Whitey Bulger heir aqpparent Blackie Bulger. More to follow.......

greenmeanie
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
HAHA didn't say i was going to cut them :) And what makes you think I am a bad shot?

I can see th headlines now in the PRO JO, "WEEKEND RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN SHOT DEAD BY ENRAGED LOBSTERMAN", The storyline would follow , "78 eight year old Carnegie Mellow heir found three dead fishermen this morning in front of her mansion just off of Bellvue Avenue when she took her favorite pet pekenese (sic) dog for a walk down to the oceans edge. Atop the granite wall along the boardwalk in front of Miss Mellon's mansion were three local men each with one shot to the head. The men's were indentified as GreanieMeanie, Lecounts99, and Mr. Sandman who was visiting the aforemention Mr. Meanie and Mr. 99. Found by the men's side were cutting devices commonly used to slice lobster bouys lines that are placed to close to shore inhibiting the fishermen's ability to cast great distances and reel in thier catch after hooking the fish. Miss Mellon told the responding officers she saw a novi hulled lobster boat speeding from the scene at better than 6 knots. Miss Mellon felt the lobster boat was going flat out. She further stated that she was quite familiar with a boats speed because she used to pilot her daddy's 500 foot sailboat called GREEDY ME! Police feel this incident was an escalation of the ongoing feud between the South County boys and the lobster pot protection society headed by by Whitey Bulger heir aqpparent Blackie Bulger. More to follow.......

Nebe
09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
i know the pot you speak of... never lost anything on it, becaues i know it is there :D

Raven
09-08-2005, 06:17 AM
quote: The guys dropping pots off Newport must have the MOST spectacular collection of Habs, Tattoo, and Beachmaster of anyone in New England...

that's their incentive for placing them there in the first place so they don't have to pay for plugs at all... and its a good place to leave slightly rusty trebles hooks that have a semi loose knot tied to them...:uhuh:

The Iceman 6
09-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I guess lobster pots seem to follow meanie.......

Ice

Bass Babe
09-08-2005, 09:12 AM
At least we're not in the Maurice River/Delaware Bay area in South Jersey. Those crab pots are so intense -- far beyond anything I've seen up here. Granted, I never lost anything on em, but my captain would wrap the prop on our boat a couple times a season, and he was one bad mofo of a seaman. I think it even said it on his wallet. Next time I lose a plug on a pot in RI, I'm SO swimming for it. They're not getting any more. Or I guess I could just put out pots of my own...eeeeexcellent.... :vamp: